WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been looking for one of these for a while and finally located one at a local Tissot AD: A Tissot pocket watch in stainless steel. Yes, it proudly says "quartz," and I don't care. I wanted SS and this appears to be the only one available. Every other Tissot montre de poche I can locate is either made of solid precious metal (and therefore expensive) or is gold- or rhodium-plated brass (and therefore subject to wear-through). So I bought it. So here it is. Snipe away, puristos!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
We got over our purist tendencies when Ernie re-named this forum Vintage and Pocket Watches. At that point we knew that any pocket watch could and would be discussed here - old or new.
Tissot is a fine brand and you know that you'll be getting something that is trouble free and has a warranty - can't say that for most of the pocket watches we see in here.
Certainly it's a a watch you can safely wear any time you want. Now all you need is a three piece suit to go with it.
Quartz never bothers me as most of my everyday stuff is quartz. The only mechanicals I have date from 1950 or earlier.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the three-piece suit, which I wear once a blue moon; I usually carry my pocket watch in my right-hand pants pocket (trying to remember not to drop my car keys in with it!) , or, with jeans or slacks that have watch pockets, in the watch pocket. I have one small pocket watch that came with a leather pouch that clips around your belt, but I find it inconvenient and seldom use it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ah ha! Heh. OK, since asked (and since I DO own the rhodium mechanical Savonettes Tissot pocket watch and the stainless steel version as well, I'll reply here) . . . first of all, it looks nice. Honestly. Love those Roman numerals which the rhodium Tissot that I own doesn't have (has Arabic).

For my tastes, if there's ONE watch form that should keep the whole mechanical (indeed, wind-up) rendition of watch movements it's, you guessed it, pocket watches.

2ndly . . . the ONE thing I love about my pocket watches (I have three) is that they don't include a date window. Adds to the whole classic/antique-ness about them, to me.

Lastly . . . I don't think you need to wear ANY kind of suit to carry around a pocket watch. I think THE coolest thing is to wear, say, an aloha shirt with a pocket watch and chain in the front pocket of that shirt. Great contrast and compliment to each other.

And that's all I have for now. :-!

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
My brother-in-law wears a pocket watch every day... he won't wear a wrist watch. It's quartz.

I told my sister-in-law I would get him a good vintage but she said don't bother. If you have to wind it he won't wear it. "Watches should tell time accurately and not be a bother to use"...

Some folks love quartz... (I love 'em all!)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,040 Posts
My brother-in-law wears a pocket watch every day... he won't wear a wrist watch. It's quartz.

I told my sister-in-law I would get him a good vintage but she said don't bother. If you have to wind it he won't wear it. "Watches should tell time accurately and not be a bother to use"...

Some folks love quartz... (I love 'em all!)
I wore only a pocket-watch for about 15 years. It was a generic Swiss quartz in a plated case. It was just a practical tool for me. As a draftsman, I needed my wrists clean of anything that might scratch the film. And outside of work, I liked not having to take my watch off before doing something messy or risky.

Then I got another pocket watch fixed up (a Soviet movement in a Hong Kong case, bought in 1985) because I fancied a hunter case for a change. After that, the collecting bug bit :oops:

Now I have 29 watches on rotation including 3 pocket watches. The quartz PW is now used by my children.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I love 'em and collect 'em but I never wear a pocket watch any more. All of mine are century old antiques that wouldn't enjoy the rough and tumble of daily life. No shockproofing , no dustproofing, no water resistance.
Also I have pockets full of big clunky keys that would scratch them up.
So mine stay at home, resting on little pillows in a wooden case. Not a bad life when you are 125 years old though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ha! Heh. OK, since asked (and since I DO own the rhodium mechanical Savonettes Tissot pocket watch and the stainless steel version as well, I'll reply here) . . . first of all, it looks nice. Honestly. Love those Roman numerals which the rhodium Tissot that I own doesn't have (has Arabic).

For my tastes, if there's ONE watch form that should keep the whole mechanical (indeed, wind-up) rendition of watch movements it's, you guessed it, pocket watches.

2ndly . . . the ONE thing I love about my pocket watches (I have three) is that they don't include a date window. Adds to the whole classic/antique-ness about them, to me.

Lastly . . . I don't think you need to wear ANY kind of suit to carry around a pocket watch. I think THE coolest thing is to wear, say, an aloha shirt with a pocket watch and chain in the front pocket of that shirt. Great contrast and compliment to each other.

And that's all I have for now. :-!
I hadn't thought about carrying a pocket watch in an aloha shirt pocket - I'm going to try it, because I wear aloha shirts a lot. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts