WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a new bracelet for my Speedy and resized it by myself as I do not think my AD would help me on resizing a third party bracelet. Since it was my first time resizing a steel bracelet, I made a foolish mistake by pushing one of the pins out in the opposite direction that the arrow suggests.

It was really tight but I somehow pulled the pin by clamping and then pulling the sticking flat side with the help of a pilers. The pin was eventually bent so I threw it right away and used the other pins from one of the six links I had to cut in order to fit the bracelet to my wrist size.

Does someone here have a similar experience and advise me that the pin and link would still function normally? Since the link that I pulled the pin in the wrong direction is the one right after the fixed non-adjustable links (which means I cannot replace it another adjustable links), I am somewhat worried that my mistake would cause the pin hole on that link to be slightly enlarged which makes the pin easier to slide out when I am wearing it. Measuring the pin holes with a normal ruler, the pin holes appear to be identical in size (1mm on each side).

C97B0084-44FE-4524-B676-7FCD1936080E.jpeg

The bracelet is awesome by the way, it is an Uncle Seiko 1171 which the end-link does not protrude like the ones that come with modern Speedies (suits my 6.5" wrist a lot better) and costs much less than the official one.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
I wouldn't trust a 3rd party bracelet with push pins for such watch.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Premium Member
23,039 Posts
Recently I bought a new bracelet for my Speedy and resized it by myself as I do not think my AD would help me on resizing a third party bracelet. Since it was my first time resizing a steel bracelet, I made a foolish mistake by pushing one of the pins out in the opposite direction that the arrow suggests.

It was really tight but I somehow pulled the pin by clamping and then pulling the sticking flat side with the help of a pilers. The pin was eventually bent so I threw it right away and used the other pins from one of the six links I had to cut in order to fit the bracelet to my wrist size.

Does someone here have a similar experience and advise me that the pin and link would still function normally? Since the link that I pulled the pin in the wrong direction is the one right after the fixed non-adjustable links (which means I cannot replace it another adjustable links), I am somewhat worried that my mistake would cause the pin hole on that link to be slightly enlarged which makes the pin easier to slide out when I am wearing it. Measuring the pin holes with a normal ruler, the pin holes appear to be identical in size (1mm on each side).

View attachment 15505329

The bracelet is awesome by the way, it is an Uncle Seiko 1171 which the end-link does not protrude like the ones that come with modern Speedies (suits my 6.5" wrist a lot better) and costs much less than the official one.
I cringe at the thought of you doing that but why didn’t you use the original bracelet that came with the watch? Your AD would have done it for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It should be fine. There is no way the pin is going to enlarge the hole in the link. As long as you have used one of the new pins. To be safe I would suggest not using that link either and swapping it out for one of the spares you have.

I have the same bracelet on my Speedy. Uncle Seiko makes many bracelets for the Speedmaster and has a good reputation on this and other forums so you are fine in terms of of it being of a good quality to use on your speedmaster.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 15505329

Hmm... I've done it beforehand and I've had no issues with the pins being loose.. I only did it once and realised my mistake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cringe at the thought of you doing that but why didn’t you use the original bracelet that came with the watch? Your AD would have done it for you.
I do not like the stock bracelet on the modern Speedies as it somehow makes the watch wear bigger than heftier than it should.

It should be fine. There is no way the pin is going to enlarge the hole in the link. As long as you have used one of the new pins. To be safe I would suggest not using that link either and swapping it out for one of the spares you have.

I have the same bracelet on my Speedy. Uncle Seiko makes many bracelets for the Speedmaster and has a good reputation on this and other forums so you are fine in terms of of it being of a good quality to use on your speedmaster.

Good to hear. I thought the dent on the pin (it is called split pin I believe?) could enlarge the other hole. That being said, it seems that two holes in the link are identical in size, so pushing the pin in the wrong direction would make removing it much harder as you would need to push the dent to the more far end rather than the nearer one. As it requires more force to remove the pin from the wrong direction, it would be easier for the pin to bent just like in my case.

I could not replace the link as it is the one right after the non-removable links - however like you said, the bracelet appears to be in good quality which makes me less worried about unwanted stuffs from happening.

Hmm... I've done it beforehand and I've had no issues with the pins being loose.. I only did it once and realised my mistake.
Also good to hear - cheers!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I have done this before. As long as you have used an identical pin, you should be fine. Friction pins come in different thicknesses, .8mm, .9mm, 1.2mm, etc., so don't think you can just grab a pin of the correct length out of the parts bin and slam it in there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Me neither......
I wouldn't trust a 3rd party bracelet with push pins for such watch.
You guys are missing out on some classic speedy looks by not experimenting with different bracelets.

You do realise that the Speedy of yesteryear all came on bracelets with push pins that were much more delicate than contemporary offerings.

I agree with the Op when he says the current generation Speedy bracelet is too thick and chunky to properly complement the watch. Plus I personally hate the 18mm taper...... Should be 16mm.

Here's a couple of pics of mine on Uncle Seiko (push pin) bracelets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are missing out on some classic speedy looks by not experimenting with different bracelets.

You do realise that the Speedy of yesteryear all came on bracelets with push pins that were much more delicate than contemporary offerings.

I agree with the Op when he says the current generation Speedy bracelet is too thick and chunky to properly complement the watch. Plus I personally hate the 18mm taper...... Should be 16mm.

Here's a couple of pics of mine on Uncle Seiko (push pin) bracelets.

That looks good! Speedy is so versatile that it can be matched with many straps out there. If anything, exactly because it is a Speedy that I dare to experiment with many third party straps at this price point.

I also bought the Mexican Holzer version from Uncle Seiko and it dresses up the Speedy very nicely, highly recommend it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts