WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tendency to make the hard things look easy, and the easy things look hard. Case in point on the latter, I installed a SS bracelet on my watch backwards, and now I can't remove it.

To clarify, the end link that is normally attached to the buckle is now attached to the watch. There's no notch in the end link for me to get my spring bar remover tool in there. The only other option that I can think of is taking some pliers and twisting the end link until the spring bar gives. I'm hesitant to do that in fear of damaging the lug.

Any other ideas?

Attached is a crappy pic from my phone so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any movement in it at all? Maybe there's just enough room to use floss or fishing line.
I should be able to get that between the link and the lug, though I don't think there is enough play to depress the spring bar enough. I'll give it a try though - thanks for the idea

·
Premium Member
36,286 Posts
It looks like you have zero clearance to get anything between the lugs and the spring bar. You might consider a very thin knife, or one of the plastic watch knifes they use as for case back removal as options.

I have seen spring bar removal tools that come with various thicknesses of pronged attachments, like this one-

SE 7pc Watch Spring Bar Tool: Watches: Amazon.com

Might check out these specialty sites as well as they have a great selections of traditional and non-traditional tools-

Esslinger Jewelry Supplies Tools Watch Parts & all Jewelry Findings Watch Bands

Otto Frei Call 1-510-832-0355 For Watch Parts

Screwdrivers

You could also get a .40mm or .60mm jewelers screwdriver as another option, but still not sure it would be thin enough.

Regardless, I would most certainly apply scotch tape to the surrounding areas when you do try to remove the bar to limit the possibility of scratches or further damage to the bracelet and case back.

Good luck

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I feel for you...

I hope the fishing line works, but fear it may not. Other than that, I can't think of anything other than pliers either - and I'm not sure that will work easily. You might have to cut through the bracelet. I hope it's not expensive...

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Oops,...

Fish line will probably not work. You can try a 'figure-saw' if it fits or a thin steel plate. Otherwise pliers! Just wrap the bracelet and put the pliers on and pull,.....

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you could borrow a Dremel tool (a small hand held drill type tool for fine work) you could cut a small rebate out like the other end. Would be tricky to do without marking the lugs though.
If you can't find one of them I would suggest taking it to a jeweler who should have a similar type of tool. Screwdriver and hammer will most likely ruin the band.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would put a rag around the bracelet, grab with large pliers and rock back and fourth. Hopefully you used a cheap low quality spring bar.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If possible to fit then walk two razor blades in the gap. Keep the pressure on the split pin and shuffle each blade until it is out.
Or else drill straight thru the lugs, replace with solid pin or one of those screw types...

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If you could borrow a Dremel tool (a small hand held drill type tool for fine work) you could cut a small rebate out like the other end. Would be tricky to do without marking the lugs though.
If you can't find one of them I would suggest taking it to a jeweler who should have a similar type of tool. Screwdriver and hammer will most likely ruin the band.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dremels have no place anywhere near a watch case. Or anywhere near a firearm. Or anywhere near anything else whose finish you care about. One slip and you're looking at major damage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It might be possible to thread a line from one lug to the other(inside the bracelet, so to speak) . Then tie a slip knot and tighten this around the spring bar. A pull from the other side might get it loose.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions - lot's of creative and practical ideas. In the end, there was not enough room between the bracelet and the lugs to really get in there, so I just yanked it off using some pliers. There is a little scratch on the bracelet, but when installed the correct way, it's hidden by the deployment buckle. More importantly, no damage was done to the watch itself.
Lesson learned, and I'll always remember to be more careful going forward!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions - lot's of creative and practical ideas. In the end, there was not enough room between the bracelet and the lugs to really get in there, so I just yanked it off using some pliers. There is a little scratch on the bracelet, but when installed the correct way, it's hidden by the deployment buckle. More importantly, no damage was done to the watch itself.
Lesson learned, and I'll always remember to be more careful going forward!
Good job and lesson learned! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts