WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Firstly, sorry for the rude title; just there to grab some attention, as I really want everybodies input into this ...

... I recently went and purchased an Omega 2254.50 SMP which I have always loved, and have only just allowed my self to buy it.

I read loads of reviews detailing how it was better bang for buck than the Rolex submariner, and that, because it is less than half the price of the Rolex, it is the obvious choice.

It seemt like the obvious choice for me then, having a somewhat smaller budget than last year, so I went to my AD and bought one.

It keeps better time than my Rolex (+3 seconds a day), whereas my Omega is (-1 to +1 seconds a day so far), but those figures alone, strangely put Rolex above the Omega, because, the Rolex hits +3 seconds, bang on, every day, whether I be watching TV or climbing a mountain, in sub-zero conditions. The Omega on the other hand, despite the only adventures that it has joined me on in the week or so that I have owned it so far being to the Pub and Back on boxing day, has had a variation in rate of 2 seconds.

Now some may say that this rate is good, and I would respect that oppinion. The figures speak for themselves in saying that the Omega is a very accurate watch, and that, because one day it gains and the next it looses that same amount of time, it is, overall perfectly tracking time, I know that my Rolex, if I could be bothered to have it regulated, could hit perfect every day and never, be a second off.

Now, please don't see this as a horrid shot at this highly popular dive watch, as it isn't; afterall, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't love it; and if I didn't love it, then I would not be able to forgive these problems I have found to lie with the watch: it is merely on moral, that I cannot allow people to use the excuse of high-price against Rolex.

My other hold up on the Omega, is the quality of the fitting. I have noticed over the last few days, when comparing my watches side by side, that the fitting of parts such as Solid-end links inbetween the lugs, are much more precise and visually pleasing, on the Rolex. The Omega has an annoyingly large gap between the end links and the lugs, which means I am always moving them on my wrist, so that I am not irritated by the lack of symmetry in the area.

Finally, whilst it is not a greatly pressing issue, I have also noticed that when inspecting the watch around the back, and holding it up to the light, the polished pieces of the Speedmaster bracelet are not quite perfectly joined to the larger, brushed sections of the bracelet, hence, showing openings.

Overall, I love this watch. I must admit that I am sometimes irritated by the sheer perfection found in Rolex. This annoyance is also built on in my opinion, but their sheer arrogance, however, I am a fair man, and I felt compelled to put forward the fact that:

Omega is not as good as Rolex!

And also that, the price of a Rolex is justified!

But still, after all this, I still went for the Omega. I don't know why this was, but the SMP has a certain charm; probably owed to its cousin, the Bond SMP, which lured me into getting one.

Having a couple of Rolexes, made me want to have a dip into Omega again. It made me want almost to increase the exitement of getting a Rolex out of the safe to wear at the weekend, by reducing the quality of the watch that I wear everyday: whilst the everyday watch still retaining that wow factor that any Omega has.

But what is interesting, is that now I have this inferior watch, I cannot help but to wear it. I have fallen head over heels for it, and I think it is going to be quite a heart-breaker when I force it off my wrist on a Saturday morning, and have to put the Omega back into its box.

Viva Omega ...

(especially the 2254.50)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Very nice thread and let me specially congratulate you for posting it on the Omega forum. Well done.

My favorite part : "But what is interesting, is that now I have this inferior watch, I cannot help but to wear it. I have fallen head over heels for it, and I think it is going to be quite a heart-breaker when I force it off my wrist on a Saturday morning, and have to put the Omega back into its box."
How can you do it? Wearing an inferior Omega all week long must be terrible.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It keeps better time than my Rolex (+3 seconds a day), whereas my Omega is (-1 to +1 seconds a day so far), but those figures alone, strangely put Rolex above the Omega, because, the Rolex hits +3 seconds, bang on, every day, whether I be watching TV or climbing a mountain, in sub-zero conditions. The Omega on the other hand, despite the only adventures that it has joined me on in the week or so that I have owned it so far being to the Pub and Back on boxing day, has had a variation in rate of 2 seconds.

Now some may say that this rate is good, and I would respect that oppinion. The figures speak for themselves in saying that the Omega is a very accurate watch, and that, because one day it gains and the next it looses that same amount of time, it is, overall perfectly tracking time, I know that my Rolex, if I could be bothered to have it regulated, could hit perfect every day and never, be a second off.
The rates you describe for both watches are pretty good - to find a "winner" would be splitting hairs. BTW, your Rolex comes ready regulated from the factory.

Now, please don't see this as a horrid shot at this highly popular dive watch, as it isn't; afterall, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't love it; and if I didn't love it, then I would not be able to forgive these problems I have found to lie with the watch: it is merely on moral, that I cannot allow people to use the excuse of high-price against Rolex.

My other hold up on the Omega, is the quality of the fitting. I have noticed over the last few days, when comparing my watches side by side, that the fitting of parts such as Solid-end links inbetween the lugs, are much more precise and visually pleasing, on the Rolex. The Omega has an annoyingly large gap between the end links and the lugs, which means I am always moving them on my wrist, so that I am not irritated by the lack of symmetry in the area.

Finally, whilst it is not a greatly pressing issue, I have also noticed that when inspecting the watch around the back, and holding it up to the light, the polished pieces of the Speedmaster bracelet are not quite perfectly joined to the larger, brushed sections of the bracelet, hence, showing openings.

Overall, I love this watch. I must admit that I am sometimes irritated by the sheer perfection found in Rolex. This annoyance is also built on in my oppinion, but their sheer arrogance, however, I am a fair man, and I felt compelled to put forward the fact that:

Rolex is not as good as Omega!

And also that, the price of a Rolex is justified!

But still, after all this, I still went for the Omega. I don't know why this was, but the SMP has a certain charm; probably owed to its cousin, the Bond SMP, which lured me into getting one.

Having a couple of Rolexes, made me want to have a dip into Omega again. It made me want almost to increase the exitement of getting a Rolex out of the safe to wear at the weekend, by reducing the quality of the watch that I wear everyday: whilst the everyday watch still retaining that wow factor that any Omega has.

But what is interesting, is that now I have this inferior watch, I cannot help but to wear it. I have fallen head over heels for it, and I think it is going to be quite a heart-breaker when I force it off my wrist on a Saturday morning, and have to put the Omega back into its box.

Viva Omega ...

(especially the 2254.50)

Thanks in advance for any comments.
The rest of your post is absolutely baffling me. You mention that "...Rolex is perfection". In my experience, this is far from the case. You also mention that the price of the Rolex is "justified". Well, its your money. However, were it mine I'd be buying anything but an Rolex; in my opinion, the price isn't justified. Each to their own however.

Next, the "reducing the quality of the watch you wear everyday"; are you being serious? Do you really believe that an Rolex is an superior product to an Omega ("...now that I have this inferior watch...")? In my experience, the truth couldn't be farther from your description.

I'm glad you're enjoying your watch, but I can't help but feel your post is designed to cause trouble. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You have a clever post on your Omega.... very Brit tongue in cheek! Cheers, Bill P.
As a fellow Brit, with (I like to think) a reasonable grasp of the nuances of irony, I have to say I'm missing this one... :think:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hi All,

I felt compelled to put forward the fact that:

Rolex is not as good as Omega!

Can we really believe the word of a man who not only is unable to spell 'opinion' but who also posts a thread titled "Omega is just not as good as Rolex ..." and then states in the thread "I felt compelled to put forward the fact that Rolex is not as good as Omega" Contradictory?

Seriously though, I think its overall a good review of the two pieces, although I do feel that the OP has been somewhat biased towards the Rolex. However, that statement, is, like his assertion that the Rolex is better than the Omega (or is it the other way around), just an opinion. Everyone is entitled to at least one!! ;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
As the man famously said, opinions are like a***holes...

...everybody has one...

...but none of them merits close inspection.

;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think both of them suck :roll:

Yeah, totally. And if you're looking for someone to take that pile of worthless tat off your hands, give me a shout.

;-);-);-);-);-):-d

·
Registered
714 Posts
Personally I agree that the tollerances on the Rolex bracelet, like where it fits to the case are tighter and a little more refined. Regards the movement, your Omega SmP does not have features like a free sprung balance but it is just as capable as maintaining a consistent rate, although maybe the Rolex (and the new Omega movements) can keep a consistent rate over a longer period. Like you say +1/-1 is excellent, so I would definately not play with it for that 2 second variance.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that oliverharris is pulling our collective leg, just to see what the reactions are ?:think:
If you take the opposite meaning of most of what he said, then it all makes sense.;-)

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that oliverharris is pulling our collective leg, just to see what the reactions are ?:think:
If you take the opposite meaning of most of what he said, then it all makes sense.;-)
Yep, this is what I was trying to say with my Brit tongue in cheek comment. Oliver is sitting there laughing! Cheers y'all, Bill P.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Didn't quite get that review
Made me want to watch Benny Hill to understand it better.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I am sorry but IMO he does not makes sense at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts