WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So out of all the PVD versions across the spectrum, which is "the one"??

A few highlights...

PAM 004
PAM 009
PAM 292
PAM 360

I think budget allowing, 292 is my favorite... (having trouble posting pictures, but will add shortly!)

-trp

·
4,076 Posts
Like them? Absolutely! Own one? Not yet, but I'm thinking of having my Zero DLC coated.

Favorite? That's easy - 5218-202/A by a country MILE!

photo from paneristipix.com

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure I'd consider the 292 as a PVD. They whole case is made from a ceramic resin vs. coated steel.

Personally I prefer it to a PVD because it's the only watch I have where I don't have to worry about scratching up. :-d

·
Registered
115 Posts
One thing I am curious about Panerai PVDs. How durable are they are what happens if you scratch it and expose the metal underneath?

·
Registered
969 Posts
The PVD finish wears-in a little like denim. Wear and tear thins the coating out in places, just like how the knees in your jeans lighten up with use. The metal underneath is the same steel that the other non-PVD'd PAMs are made of. The PVD finish resists the little swirly hairline scratches, so in that regard it's tougher than the polished cases, but the finish does wear off after a long time (years) of the constant scuffing and abrasion of normal use.

If you're asking does the finish flake off? No. They are individual pigment particles, so they don't come off in large clumps.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think the title should be "black" not PVD....either way, I don't have one. I'm also not a fan of PVDing a non-PVD watch, but that's just my opinion. I would say that if I were going to buy one, it would be a 9B-T. I choose this for a couple reasons.
1) You still get the original T-dial vintage look'
2) You can find them for cheaper than most modern Panerai, great value
3) I think the base dial is the best way to go with these

As Trent pointed out, he chose the best, but I think the 9B-T represents the best "value"

·
Registered
115 Posts
The PVD finish wears-in a little like denim. Wear and tear thins the coating out in places, just like how the knees in your jeans lighten up with use. The metal underneath is the same steel that the other non-PVD'd PAMs are made of. The PVD finish resists the little swirly hairline scratches, so in that regard it's tougher than the polished cases, but the finish does wear off after a long time (years) of the constant scuffing and abrasion of normal use.

If you're asking does the finish flake off? No. They are individual pigment particles, so they don't come off in large clumps.
Ah. Thanks for the education. I'm definitely less biased against the PVD pieces now. It sounds like the manufacturing methods create a pretty durable coating.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am now absolutely obsessed with the 292. I'm also thinking without the "PIG" (can someone explain to me why it's referred to this way?).

LOVE the watch.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I think the title should be "black" not PVD....either way, I don't have one. I'm also not a fan of PVDing a non-PVD watch, but that's just my opinion. I would say that if I were going to buy one, it would be a 9B-T. I choose this for a couple reasons.
1) You still get the original T-dial vintage look'
2) You can find them for cheaper than most modern Panerai, great value
3) I think the base dial is the best way to go with these

As Trent pointed out, he chose the best, but I think the 9B-T represents the best "value"
Why? The 292 is PVD... not sure what you mean by renaming the title to just "black"? Also, no one ever said anything about PVDing a non-PVD watch although I've seen some examples and if done right, they look fantastic.

I am now absolutely obsessed with the 292. I'm also thinking without the "PIG" (can someone explain to me why it's referred to this way?).

LOVE the watch.
The 292 J series has a submarine on the dial, called the maiale, which is pig in Italian. The maiale is a nickname of a scuba operated submarine used in WWII. Check this link for reference of the sub... Historic Naval Ships Visitors Guide - Italian Maiale

Subsequent series of the 292 do not have the pig on the dial.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why? The 292 is PVD... not sure what you mean by renaming the title to just "black"? Also, no one ever said anything about PVDing a non-PVD watch although I've seen some examples and if done right, they look fantastic.
The 292 is not PVD. The whole case (and the wire loop) is made with solid ceramic material created under high compression. This means if you take a key and scratch a PVD watch very hard, you will see shiny metal underneath. With the 292, you will only see more black ceramic (that is if you can scratch it in the first place). The 292 is basically made of the same general type of material I guess as all of those popular Chanel white ceramic watches that girls wear.

That is the main reason why I decided to purchase the 292 over another piece that was PVDed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 292 J series has a submarine on the dial, called the maiale, which is pig in Italian. The maiale is a nickname of a scuba operated submarine used in WWII. Check this link for reference of the sub... Historic Naval Ships Visitors Guide - Italian Maiale

Subsequent series of the 292 do not have the pig on the dial.
Yup, gotta love the Italian Navy. Who would have thought modifying a live torpedo and sitting on it would make it into the history of one of the more coveted brands today? :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The 292 is not PVD. As for the PVD to a non-PVD watch, I wasn't responding to anyone, just giving an opinion since that is what the OP was looking for. I love the 292 by the way, it just isn't PVD.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could someone enlighten/educate me as to why makers such as Panerai in this case make high end watches, at least in price terms, with manual movements and not automatic? Take the 292 as an example.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts