WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that this is the correct forum to ask this question. Now that Jack at IWW is no longer doing PVD finishes, can anyone recommend a source? Thanks to several other WUS members, I've received some good intel on a source for bead-blasting (NEWW), but would eventually like to go the next step to PVD.

I appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm hoping that this is the correct forum to ask this question. Now that Jack at IWW is no longer doing PVD finishes, can anyone recommend a source? Thanks to several other WUS members, I've received some good intel on a source for bead-blasting (NEWW), but would eventually like to go the next step to PVD.

I appreciate any responses.
Chris-
Could you clarify or define the acronyms, NEWW & PVD? I don't understand them.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Chris-
Physical Vapour Deposition, PVD a group of vacuum coating techniques that are used to deposit thin film coatings that enhance the properties and performance of tools and machine components. Usually Black

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Not sure about NEWW, but PVD is Physical Vapor Deposition.

What this basically does is to physically put a very thin layer of *whatever* on top of metal in order to enhance certain charachteristics. This is primarily used in the machine tool industry, for instance, to put a titanium carbide coating on cutting surfaces to really enhance the life of cutting tools.

I have a Poljot Aviator I with a black PVD finish, for instance, that is, while not as tough as the original metal, pretty close: I've had it for close to 2 years now and there is little damage to the coating and yes, it does get a fair amount of wrist time. One of my favorite watches.

Oh, and the usual disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the link above...

JohnF

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris-
Henry -

Sorry to be vague... NEWW is North East Watch Works, and is a watch customization service located in Rhode Island. PVD has been nicely described in another post.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts