WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I've read many of the threads discussing the practice of questionable ebay sellers cannibalizing pocket watches and putting several movements together and casing them up into a wrist watch case. However, ignoring the question of whether recasing a pocket watch is good practice from a historical perspective, would you trust an online seller that was upfront about the fact that the movement was recased and did not engage in the deception that some of the eastern european sellers do? In addition, I did some research and found that the following movement is a 1902, 16s, 220 grade movement, of which only 2000 were made in that particular run. In light of this and the cost it would take me to buy a suitable donor, case, to have the movement serviced, and to recase it, I figured $200 would be a worthwhile risk. What are your thoughts, specifically, does the movement look genuine? Thanks, and I apologize for the beginner question, my specialty is not in pocket watches.

Regards,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If that movement was left in its original PW case and sold as a PW it might go for half the asking price you quoted. The movement is a basic unadjusted 15 jewel watch without a micrometer regulator, one step above a 7 jewel watch. I'd be a bit concerned as the regulator is pushed over to one side. The movement does look original.

Granted, I'm an old fart, but why on earth would anybody want to wear a size 16 watch on their wrist unless they were FlavorFlave? My advice to folks who want a pocket watch movement wrist watch is to get one with the excellent ETA 6497/98 movement. Build one yourself, the parts are readily available.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Not in this case but I have noticed these conversion vendors often deceive you about what movement you are really getting...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in this case but I have noticed these conversion vendors often deceive you about what movement you are really getting...
Does this mean you think this particular movement looks legit? If not what clues do you look for? To my inexperienced eye I typically stay away from movements with not a lot of decoration. On this particular model, the engraving seems too complex to be a basic stamp, and the makers mark matches other Elgins I've seen (including my father's from a similar era). Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Chris

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Does this mean you think this particular movement looks legit? If not what clues do you look for? To my inexperienced eye I typically stay away from movements with not a lot of decoration. On this particular model, the engraving seems too complex to be a basic stamp, and the makers mark matches other Elgins I've seen (including my father's from a similar era). Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Chris
These Elgins are too cheap to clone. It's the ones claiming to be VCs or Pateks or even Longines that you have to worry about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These Elgins are too cheap to clone. It's the ones claiming to be VCs or Pateks or even Longines that you have to worry about.
Got it. I went to some of the eastern european vendors and I noticed a lot of the brands you mentioned going for several hundred when in reality, if they were real, should be going for multiple thousands. In the case of the vendors I saw, there was no mention of re-casing, even though the condition and style would indicate such.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts