WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1321 - 1340 of 1365 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi all

It has been quite a while since I have searched for Soviet/Russian watches, but I find myself back here!

I am interested in this, but I am curious as to whether it is a redial. Also, have the hands have been painted?

Any insight would be much appreciate, thanks in advance.

Luch 2209.jpg

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can see matter from underside the second hand, like someone didn't clean a hand properly before painting and leaving a tiny trace of detritus but that could also be camera artefact.

What does the lettering at bottom say? I am a fan of this dial design with the cut grooves for the markers but never seem to see these come up that often.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts
Having another look at this 350? case I notice that the case has only one notch cut in it for the caseback tab(s), every other 350 I recall has 2 notches on the case and 2 tabs on the caseback, so I'm not too sure what it is now :-s:-d
The case edge is so tight around the case back ring, that there is not much metal to accomodate both a notch and a crown tube in the same location. This might be an argument in favour of it being designed this way rather than modified.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The case edge is so tight around the case back ring, that there is not much metal to accomodate both a notch and a crown tube in the same location. This might be an argument in favour of it being designed this way rather than modified.
Good point, perhaps it was a factory prototype.

I think IMHO the positioning of the crown and the use of a swing lug would have made for a very impractical winding and time setting operation, necessitating the watch to be off the wrist for such operations.

However, I would welcome a "Unicorn Head" Amphibia with open arms into my collection ;-)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Perhaps this is an unfinished 350 case on which the caseback notches or crown tube hole hadn't yet been cut :think: and then customized by someone who had access to unfinished factory parts :think:

I think it will remain a mystery :-d

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 3

Hello comrades, I need a little help from the experts. What do you think about this strela. Legit or Franken?
The case isn't in very good shape but I was thinking that if I buy it maybe later I could restore the case, replate it or something.
Any pointers are welcome. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi all

It has been quite a while since I have searched for Soviet/Russian watches, but I find myself back here!

I am interested in this, but I am curious as to whether it is a redial. Also, have the hands have been painted?

Any insight would be much appreciate, thanks in advance.
Don't know about the hands, comrade, but the dial is a new fake.

About the unicorn amfibia - I don't like this particular dial or bezel, but whatever the case is with this experiment, it's a propper professional job on the case/bracelet. Might be an unapproved prototype design, but I too would have one in my collection.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hello comrades, I need a little help from the experts. What do you think about this strela. Legit or Franken?
The case isn't in very good shape but I was thinking that if I buy it maybe later I could restore the case, replate it or something.

Looks good to me. Hands are re-lumed and re-painted in my opinion. Please wait for others to opine as well.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 3

I would say that is a bona fide one save the hands look like they been painted with a sharpie hehe but could be camera light etc.

It is the Sekonda version of this particular watch I am aspiring for as my grail of grails with the black dial as the Sekonda branded ones seem less common and I am a passionate Sekonda fan/collector adding three mechanicals recently but nothing as cool as this one :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

I don't think hands have been touched up nor repainted -anybody able to do such a professional job and perfectly match the original green color would have surely done the same to the hour dots of the dial, which look faded with age and exposure to light instead. Most likely original hands had some main issue (e.g. rust or severe discoloration) and have been replaced with a NOS set -believe it or not, they can still be found if you look around hard enough. It's up to you to decide if the mismatch between the two shades bothers you or not.

The case is not-so-perfect on the hidden side, but seen from above it looks quite acceptable.
I had an unsatisfactory experience trying to have one of them restored: to erase the deeper scratches it was stripped down too much, so after rechroming the edges weren't as sharp as they should have been anymore; in addition, the original brushing on the sides is quite difficult to replicate, so personally I would not recommend such practice... take it or leave it.

I seem to see the Poljot Crown logo under the balance wheel, if so IMHO the whole movement is consistent with the rest of the watch.

The dial close-up photo shows a series of marks, going horizontally just under the center pinion; I'd ask the seller to clarify if it's a superficial scratch on the crystal (zero problems, as it can be polished to perfection). If yes, and if the price is right, I would consider it as a serious candidate for a purchase. Of course, if the dial is compromised instead, that would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I do think allowances need to be made for pieces that are 40 odd years or more, unless they have been in a cocoon in some air condition bank vault outside of the ravages of human gunges and sunlight, knocks and stuff, for me a watch that has signs of good honest wear helps appreciate its ruggedness and this one again highlights the pure harder than the soviet hammer that Soviet watches have become known to be tough as.

I have just finished buttoning up an absolute blinder of such an example, Poljot Mockba 80, in absolutely astonishing condition and stopped by an errant piece of plastic flashing which upon taking the movement out it fell out of movement and watch has worked perfectly since keeping absolutely spot on time... not too bad for a 40 year old watch, well 41 as these were made before the Olympics but I am soooooo pleased and I only paid £8... :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't know about the hands, comrade, but the dial is a new fake.

About the unicorn amfibia - I don't like this particular dial or bezel, but whatever the case is with this experiment, it's a propper professional job on the case/bracelet. Might be an unapproved prototype design, but I too would have one in my collection.
Thank you. I didn't know they were faking these dials.

How does one tell a fake from a genuine one?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thank you. I didn't know they were faking these dials.

How does one tell a fake from a genuine one?
The slashed indices should have straight sides, not curved.
Just to add: these dials are faked THE MOST! These dials also are the easiest to differentiate real vs fake because the faking is soooooo outrageously obvious. Take a look at the catalog image here and compare with your selection. See it?

Before buying a watch, spend please spend some time looking at the catalogs that are available. Also, if a 60 year old watch has a pristine dial and ridiculously low price: red flags should go in your head....

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
These fake Luch dials have become more close to the originals. The 'previous generation' of the fakes had "ЛУУ" writing and 3 indices at 12 were too far from each other. Therefore, it's just a question of time..

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
These fake Luch dials have become more close to the originals. The 'previous generation' of the fakes had "ЛУУ" writing and 3 indices at 12 were too far from each other. Therefore, it's just a question of time..
When fakers catchup and we will not be able to spot the diff with a naked eye we will start demanding the macro photo at 20x magnification. Lol. I am quite certain for the foreseeable future we will be able to tell them apart!

1321 - 1340 of 1365 Posts