WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1365 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
These watches:

There are loads of these (with variations - black on white background, red stars, some clearly really badly printed, some higher quality, etc.) on ebay and I'm 99% sure that they're all frankens with fantasy dials, but I really like the design so that doesn't necessarily bother me if I can pick a nice one up for cheap (I've certainly bought cheap fashion watches in the past purely on the basis of liking the design). But I would like to know what I'm dealing with before I get into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
These watches:

There are loads of these (with variations - black on white background, red stars, some clearly really badly printed, some higher quality, etc.) on ebay and I'm 99% sure that they're all frankens with fantasy dials, but I really like the design so that doesn't necessarily bother me if I can pick a nice one up for cheap (I've certainly bought cheap fashion watches in the past purely on the basis of liking the design). But I would like to know what I'm dealing with before I get into it. Thanks!
These watches:
Welcome to the forums. 🙂 Unfortunately we can't see your link since you don't have enough posts yet.
I'll repost:

View attachment 15247307
Welcome. Yes, the dials and hands are fake. What you are dealing depends on what is inside. We need to see what kind of movement and In what state. These are frequently Molniya movements. If in good state and serviced, these are great watches and if you lime the dial then for sure can be a good buy. I have one of these and love it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everybody, I have a question a Big Zero that the seller says is refurbished and I was hoping you good folks here could help me with what has been "refurbished." I suspect it is a redial, recase, or both, but a lot of the parts look right to my relatively untrained eye. For reference I have read the guides from Two Broke Watch Snobs and Vintage Watch Inc. All that being said, what on this watch looks off to you guys? Big Zero 1.jpg Big Zero 2.jpg Big Zero 3.jpg Big Zero 4.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 3

Hi everybody, I have a question a Big Zero that the seller says is refurbished and I was hoping you good folks here could help me with what has been "refurbished." I suspect it is a redial, recase, or both, but a lot of the parts look right to my relatively untrained eye. For reference I have read the guides from Two Broke Watch Snobs and Vintage Watch Inc. All that being said, what on this watch looks off to you guys? View attachment 15248461 View attachment 15248465 View attachment 15248467 View attachment 15248469
Looks good to me, except maybe the crystal. Should be flat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks VictorV! If that's all that's pretty good. The crystal should be more squared off right? At least that wouldn't be too bad to change out if I wanted to.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just to add: these dials are faked THE MOST! These dials also are the easiest to differentiate real vs fake because the faking is soooooo outrageously obvious. Take a look at the catalog image here and compare with your selection. See it?

Before buying a watch, spend please spend some time looking at the catalogs that are available. Also, if a 60 year old watch has a pristine dial and ridiculously low price: red flags should go in your head....
I have found one of these in just movement and dial in one of my UK saved sellers on ebay, chap said it was in his fathers stash of stuff and I have had two honest pieces off him so far so might pull the trigger as I don't think he knows what it is :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Oh here is one that will make you chortle...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POBEDA-JEWISH-WATCH-RUSSIAN-SOVIET-USSR-MECHANICAL-LIMITED-EDITION-EXCELLENT/164107555526?hash=item26359292c6:g:-tYAAOSw5IZeXWZ7

Because the caring sharing Soviet government were so fine and dandy to the Jews in Soviet paradise... they even made a commenarative watch for them to show Mother Soviet loved everyone...

(PS that was sarcasm there, the Soviets were outside of the Jewish autonomous district, absolute b words to the Jews which ended with the collapse where many fled for other climes and Mother Russia had far too many problems than being horrid to a very tiny minority esp when there was Chechen to fulfill any people bashing desires)

If you like this, why not add a Masonic watch from the sellers other items, Freemasons other than the tie and ring, tend to be very circumspect and as a watch is one of them things we all look at when dealing with people, its like a big sign on someone's head "oooo look at me, I am a freemason" thus breaching the rules on secrecy, you can see who that is aimed at, the silly people of a certain country who would have Masonic symbols in christmas lights every year and wear at weekends T shirts with all the names of the brethren on the back at their barbecue whilst eating half cows in a bun...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi everybody, I have a question a Big Zero that the seller says is refurbished and I was hoping you good folks here could help me with what has been "refurbished." I suspect it is a redial, recase, or both, but a lot of the parts look right to my relatively untrained eye. For reference I have read the guides from Two Broke Watch Snobs and Vintage Watch Inc. All that being said, what on this watch looks off to you guys? View attachment 15248461 View attachment 15248465 View attachment 15248467 View attachment 15248469
Crystal is wrong (too curved)
Crown is wrong (too tall)
Watch has a Made In Russia on the dial but the SU movement.... possible BUT the movement also not that right. Balance is from a different model. All bridges have different colors/treatment.

My opinion: franken. Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Watch has a Made In Russia on the dial but the SU movement.... possible BUT the movement also not that right. Balance is from a different model. All bridges have different colors/treatment.

Thanks Odessa. No worries. It was at a price that I was okay if it was a franken. Just wanted to understand what I had bought. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I noticed the crystal, but not the SU/ Russia mismatch. And I had no chance of knowing the bridge color part. I just don't have nearly enough experience looking at these to catch that. That's why I like this forum so much. Everybody is always willing to explain the details, which i really appreciate as someone just becoming interested in these watches. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Odessa!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

Thanks Odessa. No worries. It was at a price that I was okay if it was a franken. Just wanted to understand what I had bought. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I noticed the crystal, but not the SU/ Russia mismatch. And I had no chance of knowing the bridge color part. I just don't have nearly enough experience looking at these to catch that. That's why I like this forum so much. Everybody is always willing to explain the details, which i really appreciate as someone just becoming interested in these watches. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Odessa!
On the balance bridge: do I see a beveled edge? The rest of the movement has the straight edge. Right? These are Perestroika time watches and some were done during transition time. In theory, they may have used whatever parts were available. But I am just looking for a perfect match. During Russia time the movement were flat and w/o SUs. Crown is easy to fix. Replace balance is also doable if you want to de-franken it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh sorry for my bad opinion on your Zero comrade Krutir. I was too sleepy and didn't see all the issues that the comrade Odessa have seen. Yes i think he is right on all

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Looking to pick up this well worn 34x Komandirskie to use as a weekend beater. I don't really care if it's not 100% original (as seller claims) but I'm curious about seconds hand and bezel variants.

In this reference photo from Michele Cuoccio's site, the bezel matches but the seconds hand is silver and non-luminous:

In this other reference photo attributed to "Phil," both the bezel and seconds hand are different from the one I'm buying:

In this blurry catalog image, the bezel is a match but the seconds hand is red and lumed:

Has anyone ever seen one like the one I'm buying, with a red dot where the lume should be?

Finally, is there a standard name for this dial design? From the catalog it is apparently design code 248.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looking to pick up this well worn 34x Komandirskie to use as a weekend beater. I don't really care if it's not 100% original (as seller claims) but I'm curious about seconds hand and bezel variants.

View attachment 15324776

In this reference photo from Michele Cuoccio's site, the bezel matches but the seconds hand is silver and non-luminous:

In this other reference photo attributed to "Phil," both the bezel and seconds hand are different from the one I'm buying:

In this blurry catalog image, the bezel is a match but the seconds hand is red and lumed:

Has anyone ever seen one like the one I'm buying, with a red dot where the lume should be?

Finally, is there a standard name for this dial design? From the catalog it is apparently design code 248.
The bezels and seconds hand found on these Komandirskie are just variants in production and all IMHO are correct, this particular example has had all the hands relumed and the seconds hand has been coloured in red.

And if you're interested the caseback was used on Komandirskie from approx. 1995-2000 so it's not Soviet...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
And if you're interested the caseback was used on Komandirskie from approx. 1995-2000 so it's not Soviet...
So they kept printing 3AKA3 MO CCCP on the dials even after the CCCP went away? Or were the dials just leftover stock?

Here is the caseback of the one in the listing (which I just bought). It has the little icebergs in the water and huge sea gull.

1341 - 1360 of 1365 Posts