WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1661 - 1680 of 1724 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
This is more of a learning question than a true Franken watch question but perhaps it fits here anyway. How do you tell Soviet movements apart?

View attachment 15494299 View attachment 15494300 View attachment 15494302

The three images are all from late 50's or early 60's Kamas. The three listings gave different movement numbers even though they should all be 2603 movements and to my very novice eye they look the same in general construction.

If I may add a second question; does the solid ring in the left image versus the hollow spaces with tabbed thin rings in the middle and right images indicate anything such as a non-original case?
welcome to the forum. Kama is indeed 2603 and all of these are 2603. The numbers you see are the serial numbers of the movements. USSR had calibers printed on some movement but not all and during some years but not always. Caliber is typically 4 digits (not always) with some letters (not always) but serial numbers are usually 5 or 6 digits. Got it?

Kamas are typically in a bayonet case with the metal spacer with round tabs is correct. Triangular tabs are normally found on early Vostok (ChChZ) watches but NOT Kamas.
I have to mention that there were small number of Kamas made NOT in bayonet cases but there is NO catalog to prove it (but there are enough good examples that such release did exist).

also, please attach better images next time because these are not really usable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kamas are typically in a bayonet case with the metal spacer with round tabs is correct. Triangular tabs are normally found on early Vostok (ChChZ) watches but NOT Kamas.
I have to mention that there were small number of Kamas made NOT in bayonet cases but there is NO catalog to prove it (but there are enough good examples that such release did exist).
The 1960 catalog seems to distinguish 4 different case types for Kamas. 190-194. The 194 is the octagonal version. The catalog refers to the 191 & 192 as having bayonet case backs and a 33.5mm diameter. The 190 is noted as 34mm but there is no reference to the case back (I assume that means this is the snap back case style). There is a thread here somewhere that discusses the different cases I think.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The 1960 catalog seems to distinguish 4 different case types for Kamas. 190-194. The 194 is the octagonal version. The catalog refers to the 191 & 192 as having bayonet case backs and a 33.5mm diameter. The 190 is noted as 34mm but there is no reference to the case back (I assume that means this is the snap back case style). There is a thread here somewhere that discusses the different cases I think.
This is correct but for whatever reason the editor of this catalog decided to skim on the details and it is not that clear. But as I said, there are some legit snap backs Kamas exist. Although personally for me: Kama is a bayonet case! This is the mainstream and classical Kama!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any expert on the Zarja ice skating watch?
There's a few for sale on Ebay, but im not sure which ones may be real (if there are any). They go for a really low price imo. I ask because i couldn't find a lot of info about the watch when i googled.

I have noticed the watch is rather small but it's just too nice i have to get one if they seem legit

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Any expert on the Zarja ice skating watch?
There's a few for sale on Ebay, but im not sure which ones may be real (if there are any). They go for a really low price imo. I ask because i couldn't find a lot of info about the watch when i googled.

I have noticed the watch is rather small but it's just too nice i have to get one if they seem legit
all of these are real. Same for almost every other Zarya you can find. There is no money in these watches hence no one is faking them. These are simple mass produced watches for juniors. Personally I would only consider a NOS with papers.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,440 Posts
It looks familiar. Not Soviet, but either Japanese or Swiss. Time to consult Ranfft's movement catalogue...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I was part of an old thread on Kama jeweling and case design some time (why it looks like seven years) ago:

The conclusion from that thread is that bayonet and snapback case, shock-protected and non-shock protected are all possible in different combinations, with 1960 as an important dividing line. See in particular emoscambio's post #17, which is also derived from the catalog, for a summary.

FWIW, in my possession, Kama 190ChN, design XI, dated 1-57. Snapback case. Not working at present, unfortunately:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Is this authentic? Rare! Russian Komandirskie commanders Soviet mechanical watch USSR military. NEW | eBay
Looks to me like the 341200. But i got confused by his description about the numbers.
View attachment 15501632
Catalougue picture from: Каталог часов Восток, 199Х - ЧЧЗ.pdf

Not an expert in these. Here sis a bot better catalog photo.

as you can see bezels are different (and what watch has probably legit) and the seconds hand w/o lume (i think is ok as well). The only thing is the passports: it is for a different style watch and the last digit of the style is corrected. I would assume the papers are fraudulent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I came across this watch today. From studying the catalogue and an earlier post about this watch i have yet to find anything that would say it is a franken. Movement is the right one, dial looks right to me, hands looks right. I am not sure but i guess the case looks right. Maybe someone could confirm those things and have a look at the movement to see if there has been any fiddling with it. And say whether you think it is franken or legit.

Thanks, Vintage Mens Wrist Watch Raketa Compass Rose Wind Watch Collectible USSR | eBay

Catalogue i looked at: Каталог часов Ракета (экспорт), 1991 - АО Петродворцовый часовой завод .pdf

Gyazo

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I came across this watch today. From studying the catalogue and an earlier post about this watch i have yet to find anything that would say it is a franken. Movement is the right one, dial looks right to me, hands looks right. I am not sure but i guess the case looks right. Maybe someone could confirm those things and have a look at the movement to see if there has been any fiddling with it. And say whether you think it is franken or legit.

Thanks, Vintage Mens Wrist Watch Raketa Compass Rose Wind Watch Collectible USSR | eBay

Catalogue i looked at: Каталог часов Ракета (экспорт), 1991 - АО Петродворцовый часовой завод .pdf

Gyazo
Looks right to me.

1661 - 1680 of 1724 Posts