WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen news on this new Q Timex with the Batman color combination, an automatic movement, and 40mm? It kind of sounds like what everyone was hoping the Q Timex Pepsi was, but is not. I can't wait to see the hype over this one. I bet it will be a year before I can actually lay hands on one!!! :-d

https://ocarat.com/montre-timex-batman-tw2u29500-timex-58174.html

montre-timex-batman-tw2u29500-timex.jpg montre-timex-batman-tw2u29500-timex (1).jpg

Too bad that they'll probably put a Chinese movement in this like it's assumed they did with the Marlin. It'd be killer with a good Miyota movement.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
1) OK, batman, yeah, popular scheme, but makes about as much sense as the pepsi split on the Q -- nice decoration, no purpose.
2) The T on the lollipop hour hand. OK, sure, FY, Rolex, we're gonna do a T instead of a mercedes logo. Whatevs. Sword hand if you must, or go with something a bit more original?
3) Why the 12hr bezel on one and a 60min bezel on another?

Guess I should just be glad there's no cyclops.

Another hard pass on a new Timex release, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
It's supposedly going to get an NH35 actually, not a Miyota nor a Chinese movement. Price leaks on a French site put it at ~280 EUR vs ~180 EUR for the Q, so expect prices in the $250-300 USD range.

and to answer mconlonx:

1.) Every color choice on a bezel is arbitrary. I don't see why this is radically worse than a 15 or 20 minute starting at 12. I know that's to remind divers they're low on time, but let's get real-- dive watches aren't really for actual divers 99.99% of the time.
2.) The T-hand is very traditional on Timex and has been used for years. Would I prefer to see a sword hand? Yes, but it's not without lots and lots of precedent.
3.) Eh, the 60 minute one is IMHO more useful even though it makes the batman colorway less functional.

At least it's not 38mm and regular lume instead of fauxtina colored. I still don't like the 70's bracelet, nor do I really want a 40mm (especially if it's measured at the bezel with a smaller case) but it's trending in the right direction across almost all metrics for me. I'm not even particularly bothered by pricing as long as it is an NH35 and not a Miyota 8200. Of course that pre-supposes that they won't all be bought within seconds and on eBay for $500...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops... I do see now that the French website lists the movement as a Seiko. I thought the NH35 was date only, not day-date, but I am not informed on that movement. I also see now that the release date is January 2020.

Will I buy one? Probably not. Am I excited about the offering from Timex none-the-less? Absolutely. I think that Timex absolutely nailed it with their Q Pepsi and I am not the only one who thinks this as others have been scrambling to grab them. Then this Q Batman comes along, which to me is even better! I'm anticipating that people are going to go absolutely ape over this one. Especially with the Seiko movement in there. It's encouraging because we complain all of the time here on WUS that manufacturers don't listen to us enthusiasts and give us what we want. Well Timex is listening, big time, or maybe their product development group just isn't stupid and can see market trends clearly. Either way, kudos to Timex for taking the Q to the next level. I bet they will profit well from this move. The only glaring issue I see is just that 50m WR on a "diver". So this is more a desk diver than a real diver, but I doubt that will have little impact on the hotness of this new offering.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Sorry - NH36 ;-) the -35 is the date-only version. Same movement as the 4R36 which is all over the place in Seiko's lineup.

The Timex of 2019 is not the Timex of 2014. They've started to make some smarter decisions, but it's going to necessarily start slowly pushing them up market (at least for some models.)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Between the 50m water resistance and the bi-directional bezel, this will be for "Timing your steak" rather than "I got your back Cousteau"...

Still I'm excited, and I like the T hand rather than open O of the first Q reissue.

Think I would have preferred another 12H bezel though.

Do we think it will be a friction bezel as before, or an indexed 60 click / 120 click bezel?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cute!
When this is out, I expect the quartz ones will flood the sales/trade section, and I may be able to pick up one of those for cheap.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
If they're gonna potentially be selling this in the $200+ range, that's unfortunate. That puts them in the same range with a few legit diver watches. I love Timex, and I'm sure these will sell. However, at that price they're competing with Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Momentum, and many other better-equipped pieces. They need to step up the specs for that money IMO. It does look good tho.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just as ugly as the pepsi variant.
I am sorry but I don't see this as being ugly. The Pepsi version was a remake of the Q from the 1970s IIRC. However, the Batman is very enticing and I may pull the trigger on one.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I thought the "Q" in Timex Q stood for quartz. This thread is talking about an automatic. So which is it, quartz or automatic?
Joe

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I thought the "Q" in Timex Q stood for quartz. This thread is talking about an automatic. So which is it, quartz or automatic?
Joe
It's an auto. I don't believe this model is actually called Q. It's just styled in the same manner as the Q reissue.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I really don't understand Timex's pricing strategy with these new releases.

I guess they'll just release them in small batches and call it a limited edition and there will be enough suckers to keep the price sustainable.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I am sorry but I don't see this as being ugly. The Pepsi version was a remake of the Q from the 1970s IIRC. However, the Batman is very enticing and I may pull the trigger on one.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, glad you enjoy it. Looks like a cheap toy.

Probably shouldn’t buy it then:-!
Good call rocket, thank you for the advice. No where did I suggest I was wanting to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts