WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Qs about GMT1

Hello, folk,

I'm new here, though not to collecting watches. My little pack includes the late-'70s no-date Rolex Sub I've had for about 10 years, the early-'70s Date that I've had for about 8, a Titoni Airmaster two-tone, a couple of '60s Accutrons that need to be refurbished, and an Atlantic Worldmaster that I never wear any more.

Darned if I know how it happened, but yesterday I chanced across the Debaufre forum here and Debaufre's website. The GMT and Ocean-1 watches in particular look, and sound, like tremendous values. Since I have the Sub already, I'm thinking the GMT. A couple of questions:

1) Would I find the 42mm GMT to be too big and/or heavy? I'm not sure about the circumference of my wrist, but it is slim. To give you an idea, my thumb and middle finger meet comfortably around my left wrist at the point where I wear my watches. Also, I had to have several links taken out of the Sub's bracelet when I bought it.

2) My Sub is a heavy, good-sized watch, but it apparently is smaller (40mm?) and lighter than the 42mm GMT-1. Does the 39mm GMT-1 weigh less than the 42mm? Would I notice it?

3) Are the dial markers on the 39mm smaller than those on the 42mm? I've seen a reference to this on the forum about the regular (non-Classic) 39mm and 42mm Ocean-1. (I know the ones on the Ocean-1 Classic are larger than those on the regular Ocean-1, much like the markers on my Sub.)

4) If I decide on the 42mm, would putting it on a strap change the weight enough to notice? Put another way, would a 42mm on a strap be about the same weight as a 39mm on a bracelet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello - I just recently acquired a GMT II from Debaufre, and it's my largest watch. I've wore a Rolex GMT for years. It's a 40mm case, and the move to a 42 mm was a concern for me too, since I have a small wrist as well. I've found that the 42mm is a very nice size, infact, it takes me awhile to get used to the smaller 40mm watches now after I've wore the Debaufre. It dosent 'overpower' you like some of the much bigger watches may. The weight, while certainly heavier than I was used to, is not too heavy. The Debaufre and other newer ss watches come new with HUGE bands now days. I had 4 links taken out to get it to fit my wrist. As for a strap on the watch, I would hazzard to guess that would lighten the load a good deal.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi Benz - welcome to WUS and the Debaufre forum.

I am going to shy away from commenting on your questions related to a particular watch being too big or too heavy for you, simply because I have learned over the years that each person's opinions on what is too big or too heavy, etc are so individualized it is almost impossible, for me at least, to guage what their reaction would be.

So if some owners want to chime in with their thoughts, that is great, but keep in mind that each of our opinions is only right for us and may be different than your opinion on the same size, weight, etc.

Otherwise, yes, the 39 is smaller in every way, i.e. it is a bit lighter, the case (obviously!) and dial are a bit smaller, the bracelet is 20mm instead of 22, etc. Whether this is good or bad and whether or not you would notice it is hard to say from here...

I hope that little bit helps - either way, good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
I've got the 42mm Ocean 1 and love it. My wrist is 7" and here's how it fits me (I also removed 4 links):

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello - I just recently acquired a GMT II from Debaufre, and it's my largest watch. I've wore a Rolex GMT for years. It's a 40mm case, and the move to a 42 mm was a concern for me too, since I have a small wrist as well. I've found that the 42mm is a very nice size, infact, it takes me awhile to get used to the smaller 40mm watches now after I've wore the Debaufre. It dosent 'overpower' you like some of the much bigger watches may. The weight, while certainly heavier than I was used to, is not too heavy. The Debaufre and other newer ss watches come new with HUGE bands now days. I had 4 links taken out to get it to fit my wrist. As for a strap on the watch, I would hazzard to guess that would lighten the load a good deal.
I'll ditto the above comments. My Rolex GMT now seems a bit small and my Rolex DayDate and DJ (same frame) seem tiny!

Great value for the price and the best thing is that you don't have to worry about knocking it around the way you would with the $5K watches.

Go for it!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
I'll ditto the above comments. My Rolex GMT now seems a bit small and my Rolex DayDate and DJ (same frame) seem tiny!

Great value for the price and the best thing is that you don't have to worry about knocking it around the way you would with the $5K watches.

Go for it!
+1

And welcome to WUS, by the way. :-!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It's good to know your wrist's circumference. To determine what it is, simply take a shoe lace or think piece of rope, wrap it around your wrist, mark with a sharpie where the side meet, and then straighten the rope/lace out and measure it with a ruler or tape measure.

I have 7.5 inch wrists, and the 42mm Oceans now seem small. These days I wear nothing smaller than 44mm cases (Csar, Nav-B, Triton, a couple of PAM's, and an O7) and almost never any straps under 22mm (except my Nav-B's). Like Promo said, though, it's really personal preference. For example, my girlfriend -- who has thinner wrists than I do -- regularly wears 50-52mm watches, and she pulls it off!

D

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have the 39mm....very close in size and weight to the traditional rolex sub. hands and indices are quite "petite" by the newest dive watch standards, or even when compared to something like a Seiko/Citizen diver, but then again pretty much the same as the Rolex. I have a <7" wrist, and having comfortably worn SARs and Seiko007's, so I might have gone for the 42mm if I had been able to hold one in hand. Especially since I am in on the MkII Kingston!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's good to know your wrist's circumference. To determine what it is, simply take a shoe lace or think piece of rope, wrap it around your wrist, mark with a sharpie where the side meet, and then straighten the rope/lace out and measure it with a ruler or tape measure.

D
:thanks for the 42mm pics, Fullers1845.

My left wrist comes in about 6.5", so I'm beginning to think the 39mm is the way to go. Does anybody have a pic of his 39mm Ocean or GMT on his wrist?

And I was thinking of putting the GMT, whether I get the 42 red/black or the 39 black, on a NATO or Bond nylon strap. Anybody ever done that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm -- that looks a lot like I photographed my own wrist, Tallguy. The 39 looks impressive and authoritative, but not oversized. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
:thanks for the 42mm pics, Fullers1845.

My left wrist comes in about 6.5", so I'm beginning to think the 39mm is the way to go. Does anybody have a pic of his 39mm Ocean or GMT on his wrist?

And I was thinking of putting the GMT, whether I get the 42 red/black or the 39 black, on a NATO or Bond nylon strap. Anybody ever done that?
You're most welcome, brother. I wear Zulu/Nato on some of my other watches (don't have a 22mm strap yet for the Ocean 1) and love it! They look especially good with the Oyster-style cases like the Ocean 1 and GMT.

Be sure to post pics of your watch when you get it! :-!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Puzzler, though -- your Ocean-1 takes a 22mm strap? The Debaufre website describes both the Ocean-1 and the GMT-1 (39mm) as having a 20mm stainless bracelet. Is that a misprint?

Never mind, I just checked. Yours is the 42mm, and it does have a 22mm bracelet.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Puzzler, though -- your Ocean-1 takes a 22mm strap? The Debaufre website describes both the Ocean-1 and the GMT-1 (39mm) as having a 20mm stainless bracelet. Is that a misprint?

Never mind, I just checked. Yours is the 42mm, and it does have a 22mm bracelet.
Right you are, brother. 42mm case = 22mm strap. |>

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm a bit confused about the crystal on these GMT and Ocean watches. They're sapphire, I see, and with an anti-reflective coating. In some shots, the crystal looks slightly domed, like the acrylic crystal on my 5513 Sub (and which I love, as it gives the Sub a true vintage appearance). In others, the Debaufre crystal looks as flat as the crystals I see on department store watches. Is there a dome or arch to the crystal? Or is it the coating that gives that impression?

And a question for the Promo guy: I see differently colored bezel inserts are available for the Ocean-1, both for the 39mm and the 42mm models. I'd like a red/black ("Coke"?) GMT insert on the 39, but at the moment you have only the black and the blue/red ("Pepsi"). Is it possible that in the near future Debaufre might offer a 39mm black/red insert to be purchased separately?

Oh, by the way . . . what happened to the TT black/black GMT-1? I see posts about it, and pictures of it, here, but it's not on the website. Discontinued, or out of stock?

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Except for the cyclops (of course), the crystal on my Ocean 1 is flat as a pancake--flush with the inside edge of the bezel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Benzadmiral, you read my mind!

I have 6.5" wrists and I am leaning towards the 39mm option. I just wish the 39mm Ocean 1 was available in blue. A genuine Sub covers my whole wrist. In fact, the end links go beyond my wrist. The 39mm will blend in with your Rolex collection. The 42mm will be bolder and will add some diversity to the collection!

At first, I was interested in the Aircraft 8 until I realized how foolish it would look on my parakeet wrists. I am now relegated to the Ocean 1 line.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Warning, doing this from cell phone! Yes crystal is flat in the Oceans. No plans for a black/red 39 bezel, and the tt/black GMT is out of stock and likely to be discontinued, but both of these depend on demand. If lots of folks are looking for them we would look at putting them out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Warning, doing this from cell phone! Yes crystal is flat in the Oceans. No plans for a black/red 39 bezel, and the tt/black GMT is out of stock and likely to be discontinued, but both of these depend on demand. If lots of folks are looking for them we would look at putting them out there.
Then let this stand as my official request that I'd be interested in the TT/black GMT and a red/black insert for the 39/42mm GMTs. Or should I go to Debaufre's website and e-mail them too?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts