WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple of questions regarding the SQ analog chronos in these two watches. It's the same module, an ETA 251.232.

1. Does this have a perpetual calendar? I don't think so. Just making sure.

2. What does the 100 scale on the chapter ring do? I know tachymeter, telemeter and pulsation but 100?

3. It seems all versions (except in Colt II Chrono) have a flyback through second chrono hand. But only some versions have the Regatta countdown. If one chooses a version with Regatta function, does one give up anything in exchange?

4. Do they have and end-of-life indicator for battery change? Posts were inconclusive.

5. How are the 1/10 seconds displayed? Direct on extra sub-dial or via extra button push?

They are fascinating watches but there sure isn't a lot of info on them out there.

Thanks for the help,

Till

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
From my experience as an EM owner (same engine B73)

No perpetual calendar.

3. It seems all versions (except in Colt II Chrono) have a flyback through second chrono hand. But only some versions have the Regatta countdown. If one chooses a version with Regatta function, does one give up anything in exchange?

I don't think so.

5. How are the 1/10 seconds displayed? Direct on extra sub-dial or via extra button push?

Displayed on the sub dial when stopped.

Hope this helps, and anyone else please feel free to contradict if I've gotten something wrong.

Best wishes,

Verner

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,313 Posts
I got a couple of questions regarding the SQ analog chronos in these two watches. It's the same module, an ETA 251.232.

2. What does the 100 scale on the chapter ring do? I know tachymeter, telemeter and pulsation but 100?

4. Do they have and end-of-life indicator for battery change? Posts were inconclusive.

They are fascinating watches but there sure isn't a lot of info on them out there.

Thanks for the help,

Till
Hi, Till. I'm not a B73 owner but FYI anyway...

1. As Vern said.
2. Aviation logbook times (flight or maintenance) are recorded in hours and
tenths/hours.
3. No, certainly not.
4. I believe EOL is indicated by the sweep second hand incrementing in four second "jumps" as it does on other ETA thermoline modules.
5. subdial.

Best,
Ron

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Regatta countdown.

This is merely painted on the dial, all 251.232 movements have the capability for this, you pull out the crown to position one or two and press the either of the two pushers to reposition any of the chrono hands. This enables you to countdown any time up to a tenth of a second short of twelve hours. This method is also how you reset the chrono hands should you knock your watch against something and 'reposition' them that way!

Hope this helps

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much, guys. You are great. All questions answered. I searched for hours before I finally decided to just ask. Must be male ... ;)

Till

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Regatta countdown.

This is merely painted on the dial, all 251.232 movements have the capability for this, you pull out the crown to position one or two and press the either of the two pushers to reposition any of the chrono hands. This enables you to countdown any time up to a tenth of a second short of twelve hours. This method is also how you reset the chrono hands should you knock your watch against something and 'reposition' them that way!

Hope this helps
This brings up another question. Do the hands actually run backwards? Say I want to count down 54 minutes. I set the hands to 54 minutes. And then do they run backwards, CCW? Or do they then return to zero and count forward to 54 minutes.

Oh, and the 100 scale for logbooks is really special. I mean is there any other use for that scale? At least I could imagine some use for a tachymetre scale but a logbook scale...:-s It would make me feel like a bloody poseur.

Till

·
Registered
202 Posts
The hands run forwards. Say you wanted to count down to the start of a regatta, you'd set the chrono minute hand to 50 minutes/10 o'clock position, then start the chrono, ten mins later the hands all end up at 12, which is the start of your regatta.

Hth

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. Thanks. Very kind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts