WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get some more information on a Qualite Salter brooch or pendant watch. Pictures at:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/salter.jpg

The watch case is prox 1 1/4"/120mm. The finish is two-tone copper (?) and pewter or steel. The birds and flowers on the outside of the case are cloisonne (better than the image reveals). There is a bit at 1 o'clock on the case rim that looks like a small stone was mounted in it.

The works have no maker's markings. The inner case lid is marked "DAG WATCH C(unreadable)" around an oval with some figure in the oval that I can't make out.

I see some links to modern Salters, but nothing on older Salters.
Any good links to Salter antique watches?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Not much info about Salter is available. It may have been a brand by Henry Moser. The movement looks like a Le Locle ebauche from the late 19th century. Thanks for posting.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,409 Posts
The movement is not dissimilar to one I have. Obviously a cylindre escapement watch from around the turn of the century (19th to 20th, that is!). The "thing on the edge of the case at 1:00" is the button you push in to set the time - no full keyless works (pull out crown to set time) yet for these movements! Still, better than having to jam a small key into some hole in the back.....

As such, the "C(unreadable)" will probably be "Cylindre". In addition, I would expect something like "8 Rubis" as well, to denote the jewel count. Another indication of cylindre escapements (I can see the escapement wheel directly engaging the balance without a lever in between quite clearly there) is that the jewel count tends to be even since the transmission stone on the balance is missing (not needed here).

On the whole, not terribly spectacular, nor worth all that much but it can be surprising how well these proletarian watches run when they are kept in good shape.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts