WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to pull the trigger on a Steinhart ocean one vintage, give me other similar themed watches, please. I appreciate classic, timeless, clean designs. Plan on selling my collection (halios tropik b, sarb017, intramatic) to get one nice daily wearer and invest money earned elsewhere. I have handled my uncles Damasko and Nomos I love the Damasko. I can feel the craftmanship, want a similar feel but simpler maybe vintage aesthetic. Would prefer new watch would consider grey market and vintage.

Need
sapphire
lume
clean dial
second hand
legible dial
minimal text on dial
scre down crown
screw down case back
a good wr

Prefer
38-42mm case size
domed crystal
ar coating
display case back
swiss, japanese, or german movement
in house (i understand unlikely unless i go seiko in this price range)
thin case
scratch resistant case
simplicity

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Define in-house.

That is: does in-house include a Swatch Group brand, using an ETA movement restricted to the Group only, count?

Fundamentally, I'm going to suggest this is the first thing you drop. At this price point, I'll go so far as to say, I *do not* want in-house unless we're talking Seiko or Swatch, as in the sense above. It's a waste of money and effort in this segment, unless you're huge (Seiko or ETA).

Next, figure what you really *need*. Display caseback. Why? Movements at this level are generally not finished well...and again, you're probably better off when they're not. I'd rather the money be spent on higher-grade parts and/or better regulation. You said auto...rotors block the view. And you are not getting a micro-rotor anywhere NEAR $1k. Screw down crown. Why? Reasonable WR, I get...but a screw-down crown is separate. My Nomos Club Aqua is good for 200m, and it doesn't have a screw-down crown. In fact, if it's not intended for extensive underwater use, I don't want a screw-down crown. Every time I have to wind or reset it, I gotta unscrew the crown? Blech. No need, for me. Yeah, I have one. I won't get another.

No, I'm not asking you justify those choices to us here. Just to yourself. Few watches at any price point will tick all of these...screw-down crowns aren't that common any more, for example. I could be completely off base here, but your list sounds like a "this is what a quality watch is supposed to have" list.

Among the German makers...Stowa and Sinn would seem the two closest to what I think you're after.

Reactions: frogger17

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,131 Posts
I suggest browsing Tourby, Stowa, and Archimede along with Damasko
and Sinn. Unless you are attracted to a dive watch I would avoid the
dive bezel that turns in only one direction. I think a rotating bezel
makes a watch look busy. It is all right when you want to time, but
not clean or simple looking in my opinion.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you want the quality of Damasko or Nomos, you simply won't find it for less than 1,000,-- $. If you want a diver I would recommend the Dievas Vortex Tactical, Made in Germany but distributed from Singapore, if you don't mind chinese movements from Seagull, you may have a closer look at Kemmner, if you like a to customize your watch have a look at H2O / Helberg, for a little more money you'll get very good watches from Tourby or you look out for a NOS watch from Dugena, Roberta or Junghans.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I suggest browsing Tourby, Stowa, and Archimede along with Damasko
and Sinn. Unless you are attracted to a dive watch I would avoid the
dive bezel that turns in only one direction. I think a rotating bezel
makes a watch look busy. It is all right when you want to time, but
not clean or simple looking in my opinion.

Thanks,
rationaltime
This was some of my thought process as well. I’m not much of a dive watch fan either like I used to be and find rotating bezels to be a bit busy too. While I have neither of my recommendations I’ve thought of getting one or the other. I’d suggest the Sinn 556 or one of the Damasko DA36s.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Was 1.000,-- the price in Euros or US$? For countries outside the EU the DS 30 is about 1.120 US$ incl. shipping + customs and taxes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts