WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a huge fan of the 5xxx series squares but I received one with an ever so slightly tilted module and it has led me into looking at pictures of others.
I'm noticing that like 10% of the modules I'm seeing on 5 series squares are slightly skewed. The easiest way to tell is looking at the little date rectangle in comparison to the bezel. I've seen it on 5600s 5610s, normal 5000s, and even the gold and silver 5000s.
Does this bother anybody else or am I looking too deeply into it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At first I thought you are just seeing some camera angle distortion, but wow, at least this looks real and bad.
Yeah I had thought the same. Just looking at the gshock squares tag on Instagram you can see squares with varying degrees of tilted displays. I don't seem to see it as much on the cheaper 5600s which is interesting.

One would hope that paying 500 to 700 dollars on a watch would get you one with a straight LCD screen. Kinda bums me out.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Unless you can get a clear statement from the owners that they are not internally modified, or had an owner taking the module out and sticking it back in, or replacing a battery whether required or not, it's hard to draw any conclusions from publicly posted photos on the internet, especially if they are of older watches. The first link is of a modified DW-5030C, which is not a current watch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you can get a clear statement from the owners that they are not internally modified, or had an owner taking the module out and sticking it back in, or replacing a battery whether required or not, it's hard to draw any conclusions from publicly posted photos on the internet, especially if they are of older watches. The first link is of a modified DW-5030C, which is not a current watch.
Fair enough. The thing that led me to notice was that one of my watches came tilted from the factory. It was one of the more expensive models so I had examined it very closely for defects. Which led me to look at my others. Two out of three had some degree of tilt. One didn't have much. The other was apparent. None had ever been opened up, modified or serviced.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts

The first photo doesn't look at all skewed to me.

The second photo looks a little skewed, but only on the top edge. The right side looks aligned pretty well.

Also, without seeing these things in person, it's almost impossible to really tell what's going on. There's parallax as well as camera distortion.

It's difficult to prove without definitive in-person inspection. I'm sure it's possible that there might be small alignment issues here and there - these aren't Rolexes. Whether or not that's an issue is personal, I suppose. It doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's real.

The plastic housing that the module slots into has some wiggle room. Once you start tightening down the screwback, it can torque the module.

I've experimented by trying to nudge the module counter-clockwise before tightening the caseback down, with mixed results. At this point I'm considering using splinters from a toothpick or something to "shim" the module into a level position. I don't think it would compromise durability.

·
Registered
550 Posts
This is pretty normal. Unfortunate but normal. I'm pretty ocd about that kind of stuff so I look very carefully. In my experience its not the module that is misaligned but rather the solar panel. My only experience is with the tough solar models as they are my favorite. I can't speak for the non solar models. This is especially prevalent on the gw-5000. I have handled at least 20 and basically all are off to some degree. Some most people wouldn't notice and others are pretty bad. I basically always have to realign the panels to my liking. The plastic cased squares have the solar panel made into the case and can't be removed. They actually seem to be much better aligned than the gw-5000 whose solar panel can be fairly easily removed. On the gw-5000 it is pretty difficult to get the panel aligned just right as it just sticks to the front of the casing frame with no exact quides or anything. I've seen some gw-5000's that were absolutely ridiculous. It couldn't be much harder for casio to have added an exact placement edge onto the casing frame for proper alignment because obviously even they can't align them correctly.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Come again? This is crazy. This is the first time I hear this and I'm a member here for over 2 years. Until now, I was honestly under the impression that squares are pretty much perfect and no pre-purchase inspection was necessary for those with OCD tendencies.

Why has this stuff not been discussed more extensively in the past?

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I realize squares aren't Rolex category, yet I see myself sharing the highest expectations, if it comes to high end squares.

Your linked thread talks about a floating module. Yes, I'm familiar with that part of the idea, however I did assume that the module is kept centered by the padding. Further as someone in the same thread mentioned, the GW5000 module is definitely centered by design. So there goes my trust in that method.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I realize squares aren't Rolex category, yet I see myself sharing the highest expectations, if it comes to high end squares.

Your linked thread talks about a floating module. Yes, I'm familiar with that part of the idea, however I did assume that the module is kept centered by the padding. Further as someone in the same thread mentioned, the GW5000 module is definitely centered by design. So there goes my trust in that method.
Some squares have a module that is "keyed" in place by a notched plastic spacer, rather than having a floating module. This includes the GWX-5600 and apparently also the new metal squares, as one of our forum members had to cut the plastic spacer in his DLC Porter model in order to straighten the module.

And yes, this type of misalignment bothers me. It's like having a painting hanging tilted on the wall.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If the solar panel is adjusted, would it then not misalign with other parts of the watch?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Come again? This is crazy. This is the first time I hear this and I'm a member here for over 2 years. Until now, I was honestly under the impression that squares are pretty much perfect and no pre-purchase inspection was necessary for those with OCD tendencies.

This was pointed out and discussed when the 'Full Metal' first started shipping out to customers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If the solar panel is adjusted, would it then not misalign with other parts of the watch?
No the solar panel is separate from the module in the gw5000 variants. It is stuck to the front of the casing frame with adhesive tape. It’s just a matter of pulling it up and placing it back down correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts

There was even a member here. I don’t recall his name that received a gwt5030 with misaligned solar panel. So even a $1500 square can have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts