WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to this forum as well as the whole horological world. This is my first post and I've got a few general questions for everyone.

I bought my first "real" watch a few months ago. It's an Omega Speedmaster Reduced (3510.50 - 3220 automatic movement). It's a second-hand watch that is in excellent condition.

It has been a great timepiece so far! It keeps great time and the power reserve seems to still be about the 40 hours that Omega quotes, although I haven't let it run down to confirm this.

My questions to the forum are about setting the time and the chronometer resetting to zero.

When setting the time, I have to depress the crown at the mark with the second sub-dial at 60 and the minute hand about 45-50 seconds forward of the desired time. It seems that there is some slack in the minute hand and it takes about 45 seconds after depressing the crown at the mark time for the minute hand to start traveling.

When using the chronograph, the large seconds arm always resets to zero, but the minutes sub-dial doesn't usually reset to zero. I have to start the chronograph again and stop it after a few seconds, then reset it again for it to zero the minutes sub-dial.

I've seen some posts about people needing to get a watch serviced because of this resetting to zero issue. It isn't enough of a bother to me to require a servicing at this point.

Are these issues pretty normal and to be expected, or does this imply that the watch needs to be serviced? I can understand a mechanical watch having a few little quarks like this.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I had a bit of trouble understanding your post but I gather the minute subdial is not returning properly?

This is not a quirk of a mechanical watch but a fault that could be expensive to fix.

If it has always been this way I would contact the seller but at a couple of months on (unless it's a shop) I suppose it is a bit hopeful.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I agree with Neil on the issue of the subdial not resetting correctly. The other issue you describe is not normal, either. There shouldn't be 45-50 seconds of "slack" to take up, when setting the time.

It certainly sounds like it could use some attention. I'd have a watchmaker check it out.

eric

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hope you get your Speedy fixed.

However, as most here will attest, the Speedy Reduced is not bad for your first "woman's watch." ;-)

When you decide on a real man's watch, I would recomend the PO or the Speedmaster Professional.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The other issue you describe is not normal, either. There shouldn't be 45-50 seconds of "slack" to take up, when setting the time.
Eric, that watch has the Dubois-Depraz chronograph module, like in my Speedmaster L.A. Olympics Commemorative.

It is known to take around 30 seconds for the small seconds hand to become synced with the minutes hand.

It is a normal behavior (for example, the Omega Dynamic Chrono has the same issue, which really is not an issue, more an annoyance :-d).

Thus, when setting the time at, say, 2:30 against an atomic clock, here's what you do:

1. On your watch, you pull the crown when the small seconds hand arrives at ‘0’
  2. You advance the minutes hand (always forward) to 2:29:5 (i.e., halfway between 29mn and 30mn).
  3. When your atomic clock hits 2:29 (and NOT 2:30), you push back the crown, engaging the movement. The small seconds hands will start right away but your minutes hand will not move for the first thirty seconds or so.
  4. After thirty seconds the slack will be absorbed by the minutes hand and will start moving towards the 2:30 marker.
  5. At 2:30, the minutes and seconds hands should be synced together and with your atomic clock.
Hard to explain in writing. Hopefully this is clear enough.:-s

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
No kidding?! Wow, I had no idea that was normal behavior. Thanks for setting me straight, Xal :-!

eric

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
No kidding?! Wow, I had no idea that was normal behavior. Thanks for setting me straight, Xal :-!
Initially I freak out when I noticed this behavior, but after some reading on the WWW, came to understand it has something to do with the way the gears are designed. I still have trouble understanding how the Swiss engineers, famous for their pragmatism and thirst for precision, decided this was an acceptable behavior.

Normal, but hugely annoying! :-x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed! somewhat of an annoyance for me. It really bothered me at first, but now that I've come to understand the peculiars of the individual watch it's not such a big deal. I can easily set the watch now so that the minutes and seconds are exactly matching as well as the time on the watch being in perfect sync with atomic time.

As for the chronograph not wanting to reset to zero... It's only the first time that I stop and reset it. It seems to reset to zero after starting and stopping it again. I don't use it much at all; it's more of a gadget than a day-to-day tool for me. I'll surely leave it be until I get the watch serviced for another reason.

Thanks to all for the "speedy" replies! ha

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know I'm 8 years late to this discussion, but I recently got a Speedy Auto myself and this was driving me nuts! Especially since it had been serviced before I bought it. Your tip gave me peace of mind for sure! Runs perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts