WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,907 Posts
Classification? Do you mean the maker? That's probably Paul Garnier of Paris. Your movement is pretty similar to (although not identical with) the one on this page (fourth one down):

Schlagwerke 19"'

Hartmut Richter

·
17,907 Posts
I suspect that any differences are either generational (earlier/later movement of the same type) and/or size related. The linked movement is 19'''. What size is yours?!

Hartmut Richter

·
17,907 Posts
That would explain a few things, e.g. screws "shifting around" in relation to other parts of the movement. You see that sort of thing when comparing e.g. the newer generation Zenith movements (N.V.S. series, post 1905). As for the escapement gear cock being totally different, that would be more likely a generational difference.

Hartmut Richter

·
17,907 Posts
The second watch was assembled by L.F. Veillon et Fils. Does than mean that the movement in that watch is by them? If not, could it be that they got the raw movement (ebauche) from Paul Garnier?

Unless we get a 100% identification from a movement sheet or a mark on one of these movements attributing it to one maker or another, the suggestion I gave initially is probably the best we have. No, I am not certain, but I am pretty sure (95%+) at this stage that my suspicion is correct.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I agree to Hartmut. I searched quite a long while and I don't find anything which match better. In general: It is a continental movement. The short lever, bridge style, golden wheels, compensation balance I would date 1860/70. Orgin most likely :Valee de jaux. At the linked Paul Ganier is writen: Basis a blanc out of the west of switzerland 1860. Mabe it s not a finish by Paul Ganier but the simularies of parts and making of is very high therefore it is most likely. Definetly it is made out of the same basis. It is not possible to assign all movements with 100% when names are missing. A lot of brillant watchmakers are forgotten nowadays because they were not necessarily economically successful, they don't have had a big workshop or nobody was able to continue their business. The documentation was quite bad and advertising unknown.
It is a gregorious movement and watchmaker art. This should count. Therefore the classification is very easy: 1A

Regards Silke

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Make your mind free and forget about "manufactures" you know nowadays. Walk back 200 years in your imagination. Think about devision of labour and realize that classification is not always to find a name.
Here an old thread about the standart calibers those days (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/standard-french-swiss-lepine-key-wound-calibers-19th-century-4274666.html) but the "making off" the high end was simular. LeCoultre blancs a few years later were used by PP, Charles Rosat, Jules Jürgensen and as well by Luis Audemars, who designed as well own calibers. They usually don't start with a brass chunk.

Regards Silke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Since this is a thread helping to identify a qtr. repeater. Could you please help me understand more about my piece as well ?

I tried the usual links from the forum to identify the (TI) mark on the dial but have not met with success. Am looking to find out more about it and any other information about the mechanism, it seems to have been used in many a pieces.

Patent/ Brevet : 34984 - Google patents shows the patent was issues in 1906 - 1907 to Giuseppe Citelli.

Stamped : Swiss Made, but when searching for the mark I cannot find the brand.

Thank you

Front face.jpg

Side view.jpg

mechanism repeater2.jpg

Mechanism - Repeater.jpg

·
Registered
587 Posts
I believe that the TI that you are seeing on the dial is actually a pheon or broad arrow over a capital I. As for the movement I cannot find another like it but I suspect it is a Minerva.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Since this is a thread helping to identify a qtr. repeater. Could you please help me understand more about my piece as well ?

I tried the usual links from the forum to identify the (TI) mark on the dial but have not met with success. Am looking to find out more about it and any other information about the mechanism, it seems to have been used in many a pieces.

Patent/ Brevet : 34984 - Google patents shows the patent was issues in 1906 - 1907 to Giuseppe Citelli.

Stamped : Swiss Made, but when searching for the mark I cannot find the brand.

Thank you

View attachment 14910795

View attachment 14910797

View attachment 14910819

View attachment 14910821

Closing the loop on this. The sign on the dial is as Charon identified, a Pheon / Broad arrow which was used by the British Office of Ordnance. It the capital "I" indicates an import to the Indian colony.

·
Registered
992 Posts
yes it is true Piru

but I think this is a "marriage" if you look at the second axis it is offset from the dial.

the army was unlikely to have had a repeater :):)

regards enrico

1 - 16 of 16 Posts