WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Kingsbury MS3 Battalion
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Casio Edifice EF-503 quartz Chronograph that I really like. The other day I noticed that that the chrono seconds hand did not return to 12 o'clock properly when I pushed the bottom button, but returned to another place. I kept "returning" to different places if I started and reset the chronograph again.
I remembered that there was a way to fix this, and found it in the manual. So I manually advanced the second hand back to 12 o'clock again. But when I ran and reset the Chrono, it returned to the wrong place again. Shortly thereafter, the chronograph stopped working entirely: when I start it, the second hand just wiggles a bit every second, but does not advance. Resetting it makes it vibrate for a couple seconds, as if it is trying to return the second hand to 12 o'clock but something is stopping it. The chronograph minutes and hours hands don't advance when I run the chronograph either.

My first thought is to change the battery, as that would obviously be the easiest fix. But the main watch function, including the running seconds hand, still keeps time accurately, so the battery is not obviously dead. Is the circuitry advanced enough to preserve timekeeping but sacrifice the chronograph as the battery nears empty? I am wondering if there could be a mechanical problem with the movement, some friction or wearing out that is stopping the hands.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
Battery comes through my mind first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts