WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had many quartz watches and I picked Marathon TSAR to fill that void, just as a pick'n'go summer watch.

I know it's normal for quartz watches that seconds hand don't align with minute markers, but this one seems to have problem with minute hand alignment: When seconds hand hits 12, i.e when time is precisely at even minute, the minute hand is pretty much exactly between two minute markers instead of hitting the marker it supposed to. Respectively, the minute hand is hitting exactly at the marker when seconds are ~30 seconds over any given minute.

Watch was bought 2nd hand, and warranty has ended long ago. Otherwise it is in near mint condition and it keeps time OK too. Is there anything I, or a watchmaker, can do?

I'm usually not too fussy, and would tolerate seconds hand being off markers (and they are about half the time), but minute hand is too much.

·
Premium Member
20,805 Posts
:think:?! Isn't this simply an issue of you setting the minute hand with some care when you adjust the time?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Minute hand alignment is simply a matter of trial and error. You need to know how much slack your particular watch has and adjust accordingly. It isn't just a quartz problem.

·
Premium Member
20,805 Posts
If it's always off by half a tick when you set it exactly on the marker, maybe the key is set it off half a tick to begin with?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies, I got it set up perfectly. I didn't understand the concept of "slack" in the hand (never had that problem before with any watch) but thought the minute hand was out of sync with seconds hand or possibly dial markers or something like that.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Thanks for replies, I got it set up perfectly. I didn't understand the concept of "slack" in the hand (never had that problem before with any watch) but thought the minute hand was out of sync with seconds hand or possibly dial markers or something like that.
Look-up the term "BACKLASH".

·
Registered
804 Posts
If it bothers you that much sell it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts