WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WUS people!

I am looking for an affordable moonphase QUARTZ(automatic wont do.. because i wont be wearing this often) watch with the following preference:

1)non-chronograph dial with date
2)40mm or more
3)Dial focused on the moon phase (Big moon phase is the best!)
4)below $300

I've searched and figured that there are a bunch of vintage citizens and seikos that has what i want but none of them are NOS and they are a little too small for my taste(36mm or so).. Then there is this perreflet:

that ain't that affordable.

And there are also the citizen eco drive and seiko direct drive moon phase watches but the moon phases are just part of the complication and their dial look very busy.

My search then lead me to these watches: the Dugena moon phase(https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=235035) and the firefox moonphase(
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOON-PHASES-CLOCK-FIREFOX-very-beautiful-men-clock-/220507087869) but the firefox doesn't pass as a dress watch.

Further search lead me even closer to what i am looking for: http://www.mossyoakwatches.com/mossy_oak_watch_404b.htm but the mossy oak moon phase look like anything but a dress watch.

So does anyone know any other dress watch that uses the same movement as the mossy oak moon phase watch? :thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found out that the movement used by the firefox and the dugena is a Miyota 6P80 that is also used by Elysee in their moon phase watch. While the mossy oak uses swiss quartz TT 7221.3? and can't find any information on that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tissot makes a quartz moon phase watch (the PR50 moonphase), but I think it is a little smaller than you are looking for (36 mm). Looks pretty dressy and can be had in your price range though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tissot makes a quartz moon phase watch (the PR50 moonphase), but I think it is a little smaller than you are looking for (36 mm). Looks pretty dressy and can be had in your price range though.
oh, i forgot to mention about the tissot... i just can't get past that smiley face moon, and its small. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Great thread subject - I have been looking for something along the same lines. I was ready to chip in with some Citizen Eco Drive suggestions when I read your title, but then saw that you've already considered these.

How about these Tommy Bahamas (£175 ish)? They're descrbed as chronographs but the subdials clearly show day and date markings :roll:. Not sure of the brand, but I think you'll struggle to find any prestige brands offering moonphase quartz movements:

I also found this Bernex moonphase (£255) which uses a swiss quartz movement. It has a nice large moonphase complication but in a very small case - 35mm :-(.

Good luck with the hunt and don't forget to post what you find, I'd be interested to see what you choose :-!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tommy bahamases have a busy dial and personally i dislike those date subdials, i have one watch with a date subdial and it always take me more than a few seconds to figure out the date.. the numbers are just too small and if the munite or the hour hand is covering the subdial, i'll have to wait for at least 5 minutes or so..

The Bernex is beautiful and i think it uses the same movement as the mossy oak moon phase watch. Too bad the size of the Bernex is like those of the vintage citizen and seiko moon phase watches. Thanks for the suggestions!

As for now, the Dugena is the 1st choice. and since the movement used is 6P80 by miyota(citizen), i really hope that citizen do have a model with this movement and uses Eco drive technology.... the hunt continues...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Any new additions to the OLD tread.
My Dugena was the one referred to in the original article. I still have it and it is and has been going perfectly ever since I got it. The movement I confirm is the Miyota 6P80 and as accurate as any other quartz. The Moon phase is also no problem and seems accurate enough.

I don't believe it is available today however.

My other quartz dress Moon Phase is the Android Ambassador - shown here -

AndroidAmb01web.jpg

From a legibility viewpoint it is excellent and superior to the Dugena - it has a Swiss Ronda 5 jewel 706.B movement and over the many years I've had it - very accurate indeed. I particularly like the business pointer so you can tell the week. My web site entry on this is HERE - and for an update article featuring both click HERE.

Hope this is of some help, though I don't believe Android make this model now either.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had my eye out for a quartz moon phase, too. I ran across these. One is a Maurice Lacroix from their Les Classiques collection and the other is a Certina DS-8. They're kinda nice. I'm not a big chronograph fan but I think quartz makes sense for both the chronograph and moon phase complications. Particularly moon phase since you don't want to have to be setting it all the time. The pictures were taken from the internet but I doubt the companies will mind the free publicity.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had my eye out for a quartz moon phase, too. I ran across these. One is a Maurice Lacroix from their Les Classiques collection and the other is a Certina DS-8. They're kinda nice. I'm not a big chronograph fan but I think quartz makes sense for both the chronograph and moon phase complications. Particularly moon phase since you don't want to have to be setting it all the time. The pictures were taken from the internet but I doubt the companies will mind the free publicity.
There's also a "ladies" version of the Maurice Lacroix that is 38mm which I actually like better. It comes on a white strap which makes it look a little feminine but 38mm is a perfectly fine sized mens watch (in my book.) Problem is it's $750 which is a little high for quartz.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I would wait for one of these:

In fact I am waiting for one of these. Melbourne makes really good watches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts