WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing I really enjoy about an auto is the smooth sweep of the second hand around the dial.

Is this available in any quartz movements?

(apologies in advance if this terribly stupid)

·
Premium Member
20,850 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to have the Stop2Go, but sold it, as the second hand ticks 4 times a second, which I found to be very jarring.
I have one as well, while I don't find the movement jarring at all, I think that the precise movement of a conventional quartz would have suited this particular watch better. I get more compliment from non watch folks with that watch than any of my other watches. Just a fun one in the rotation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Besides the Spring Drive, Seiko (at least according to the Time Module/SII webpage) has now released the VH series of quartz movements that have a sweep seconds hand. I'm not sure if it's actually being used in any watches yet.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Bulova Precisionist is the only one I've heard of.

There are also the old Accutron tuning fork watches, but they are not quartz.

Regarding Grand Seiko Spring Drive, it's not quartz, but I'll let the onslaught of dialogue that is sure to come argue that on both sides.

images.jpg

Reactions: shnjb and nicedream

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
For Grand Seiko, there are a few online dealers. Don't search for just Seiko; Grand Seikos have much more limited distribution. But considering they start at about $2K...and Spring Drives, $4K IIRC...that's not surprising.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Short, silent video showing smooth sweep hand, use and one-second bump motion of second hand when timing with chronometer and reset. Smooth sweep at the end.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TIJZYwtPguk

Bulova Precisionist 96B183 is a 45mm, 8-hand quartz chrono, sweeps at 16 beats per second (57,600bph), super smooth motion.

98B212 chrono diver

97B110

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's a minute of my Bulova 96B230 Military style "UHF 262kHz" watch that I purchased new from an AD for under $200 about a month ago...

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Regarding Grand Seiko Spring Drive, it's not quartz, but I'll let the onslaught of dialogue that is sure to come argue that on both sides.
It's not a winnable argument. I view regulation as the most critical and difficult aspect of timekeeping and therefore tend to view SD as quartz if I am forced to label it. But there are opposite and equally valid views.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts