WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend my wife and I went into an Omega AD and she ended up with a new watch. It is the ladies version of the popular blue faced Bond diver. It is very nice looking on her wrist and is the biggest watch to date she has worn. Well the watch is a quartz and the date sets like a GMT watch which I find very strange. Anyway, the watch stopped ticking yesterday. We called the AD today and they say to preserve the manufacturer warranty it has to go back to Omega for a battery change. Bummer since it is brand spanking new. It did have a couple of price increases on it which means it was probably in their case for a couple of years. Well tonight I was fooling around with it and advanced the hands and it started ticking again. I wonder if the battery is just dying and moving the hands allowed the small charge in the battery to start the watch ticking again or is the watch just screwed up. Has anyone had this happen to their dying quartz watch.

Second question. Since it is a quartz watch is it really worth it to preserve the manufacturer warranty or would you just recommend taking it to a place that used to be an Omega AD and just have them put in a new battery? I mean it is going to be a long wait to get a battery changed and suppose I don't have a warranty anymore. How much could it possibly cost to get the watch repaired if going out of pocket? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Jon

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
This past weekend my wife and I went into an Omega AD and she ended up with a new watch. It is the ladies version of the popular blue faced Bond diver. It is very nice looking on her wrist and is the biggest watch to date she has worn. Well the watch is a quartz and the date sets like a GMT watch which I find very strange. Anyway, the watch stopped ticking yesterday. We called the AD today and they say to preserve the manufacturer warranty it has to go back to Omega for a battery change. Bummer since it is brand spanking new. It did have a couple of price increases on it which means it was probably in their case for a couple of years. Well tonight I was fooling around with it and advanced the hands and it started ticking again. I wonder if the battery is just dying and moving the hands allowed the small charge in the battery to start the watch ticking again or is the watch just screwed up. Has anyone had this happen to their dying quartz watch.

Second question. Since it is a quartz watch is it really worth it to preserve the manufacturer warranty or would you just recommend taking it to a place that used to be an Omega AD and just have them put in a new battery? I mean it is going to be a long wait to get a battery changed and suppose I don't have a warranty anymore. How much could it possibly cost to get the watch repaired if going out of pocket? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Jon
Changing the battery is not going to void the warranty, no more than
changing the oil in your Ford at Jiffy lube will void that factory warranty.
Just get the battery changed.
jim

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Yeah, I'd just take it to someone local. It'll take a couple of minutes, as opposed to potentially months through Omega.

eric

·
Registered
314 Posts
The only thing is that if you take it somwhere local and get the battery changed and the problem turns out not being the battery (which may be unlikely) the AD might not want to take it back. Just somthing to consider. Becuase it is new im suprised the AD wouldnt take care of it locally.

-Ben

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Jon
i'd be a bit careful here. 1) the failure you describe does not sound like just a failed battery (the battery will continue to drain, whilst in circuit, and so is unlikely to recover, unless removed). 2) if it is more than that it may well be that you will find it difficult to get repaired under warrantee if you have someone other than omega do any work (they will blame the third party). if i were you i'd take it back to the AD to be on the safe side.

i had a similar experience with a quartz watch once. bought new. got it home and found it needed a new battery (or so i thought). took it back. when i collected it i found it was a different watch. reason give was that there had been a fault with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went through a very similar situation with my wife's quartz Tag aqua racer last month. The AD I purchased from said they had to send it to Tag in Toronto to replace the battery in order to ensure the water resistance of the gaskets. 3 weeks without a watch (at least there was no charge as the watch was only 10 months post purchase). Was I being misinformed about how complex this procedure is?

Tron

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I went through a very similar situation with my wife's quartz Tag aqua racer last month. The AD I purchased from said they had to send it to Tag in Toronto to replace the battery in order to ensure the water resistance of the gaskets. 3 weeks without a watch (at least there was no charge as the watch was only 10 months post purchase). Was I being misinformed about how complex this procedure is?

Tron
nothing is complex with the right facilities. the AD does not have these facilities. hence, the watch gets sent back to the manufacturer, and it takes a few weeks to got from A to B and back again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts