WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey WUS. As I opened up the fireplace insert remote today to replace the batteries as I do every year, I found that they had leaked which is a B**** because the remote isn't easy to disassemble to clean the terminals and the contact wasn't being made. It made me think about my automatic watch and the fact that there are no batteries, but my G-shock has a battery and I came to think about the fact that perhaps it could leak. And then I thought about something like a quartz TAG or Omega with a battery and could it leak and in effect ruin an "Expensive" watch or are watch batteries better somehow? I guess its the common case of curiosity killing the cat, though no animals were harmed in this question.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They can leak. There are certain brands that are more prone to leaking than others, so people tend to be particularly picky when dealing with the more expensive quartzes. IIRC you shouldn't get a battery that's not made in Japan or Switzerland, but even within those batteries there are good and bad examples. Not sure if American made batteries are any good for watches; I know for the CR123a lithiums it's best to choose from the multitude of brands that contract to Panasonic's US plant, but their reputation might not be as good for coin cells.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
In the 30 years plus I've had quartz watches I've always replaced the battery when needed and never had a problem with leaking. At least 20 watches in play over that time. You can always go with Eco-Drive anyway if you're worried.

Reactions: Longjean

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,081 Posts
Hey WUS. As I opened up the fireplace insert remote today to replace the batteries as I do every year, I found that they had leaked which is a B**** because the remote isn't easy to disassemble to clean the terminals and the contact wasn't being made. It made me think about my automatic watch and the fact that there are no batteries, but my G-shock has a battery and I came to think about the fact that perhaps it could leak. And then I thought about something like a quartz TAG or Omega with a battery and could it leak and in effect ruin an "Expensive" watch or are watch batteries better somehow? I guess its the common case of curiosity killing the cat, though no animals were harmed in this question.
Batteries can leak if you leave them in for an extended time after the watch or remote control stops working. Just replace them when the device stops. Wear your watch every day and you should not have a problem. Pull the batteries from remotes and other devices that don't get used for months.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I had a Heuer(Pre-Tag)....Gave it to my Dad and told him he needed a new battery.
He didn't....It leaked....I came home a few years later....Threw the watch out!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Seiko quartz leaked after 4 years in service. I thought the battery was running flat. Only aware the battery has leaked when I send it to replace the battery. Now im converting to either eco-drive or automatics.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the information. I only have a battery in my G-Shock, all my others are automatic so its not really a problem in my eyes just something I thought about spur of the moment.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I appreciate the information. I only have a battery in my G-Shock, all my others are automatic so its not really a problem in my eyes just something I thought about spur of the moment.
The G-Shock triple 10 stands for 10 year battery life, 10 bar water resistance, 10m dropping shock resistance. Depending on when you got your G-Shock, you should still be fine for a while!

You gotta love the reliability of G-Shocks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In 35 years I've never had a battery leak. I even once left an empty battery in watch for almost a year and it didn't leak.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I've never seen a leaked battery of my own. Though again, i never buy some no name rubbish...

·
Premium Member
61,744 Posts
As a general rule flat or cheap batteries tend to be more prone to leaking than good quality ones or those with some life in them.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
In 35 years I've never had a battery leak. I even once left an empty battery in watch for almost a year and it didn't leak.
I've been lucky too... some batteries didn't leak after 10 years. I was sure they would probably leak, but I'm lazy, so I did put off the replacement until I thought it was too late. Needless to say the batteries weren't noname .01$ ones, they were from high quality brands.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Thankfully I never had any battery leak on my watches,whether it's Tag,Gshock or even Armani (yup,had several armanis back in HS)

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
In the 30 years plus I've had quartz watches I've always replaced the battery when needed and never had a problem with leaking. At least 20 watches in play over that time. You can always go with Eco-Drive anyway if you're worried.
True, unless Citizen doesn't make an Eco Drive in the style you want...as I recently (and sadly) found out...and I REALLY wanted that style in Eco Drive...

Anyway, for button cell batteries, I usually get Renata. No real reason, just I guess cause that's what Batteries Plus usually has in stock for the size I ask for. I hope thats a good brand. I think they're even Swiss Made, if that means anything for batteries...

·
Registered
15 Posts
... but Eco-Drives/Solar watches use batteries too. They're "permanent" cells (though I'm pretty sure you can source some of them @ BatteryBob -- search on "eco-drive" or "solar" under Watch Batteries). The PR tends to talk them up as not needing replacement for the lifetime of the watch (whatever that means), but the listings @ BatteryBob seem to imply that they're Li-Ion batteries, which don't strike me as being permanent at all.

Out of curiosity: has anyone ever experienced a leak in a Citizen Eco-Drive or Seiko Solar watch?

-XCN-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts