WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the battery in one of my vintage quartz Timex. Here was my problem: there was no clip or any other built in device to hold the new battery in place. If I held the battery down with my thumb, the movement would run properly. The minute I removed my thumb, it stopped running. So, I thought I would try to place the back on while the battery was sitting in it's place. I got it to run just by holding the back in place with my thumb and when I set the watch on my press (I could not pop the back in place with thumb and finger pressure alone) to reinstall the back, the back would pop up. I tried to just line it up by eyeballing it as best as I could and press the back on with the press. Would not run. I felt like Shemp Howard when he tried to iron the rolled up pants. Anyway, after about 500 or so tries, I finally had everything lined up (I guess) because the back snapped into place and the watch was running.

With all of that said, how do you all deal with a battery that is not held in place by a retaining clip or some other mechanical way? Do you just let the battery flop around and hope for the best like I did? I am looking forward to your solutions as I don't want to have to go through this again.
Joe

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Quick question - di the old battery stay in place? If so, one thing to look at is the shape of the new battery compared to the old one. Sizes are standard, but there can be differences in the way corners on some cells are shaped that make them more or less able to stay in place, depending on the specific brand. I know that in at least one instance a brand I work on often (Omega) changed the battery they recommended for a specific watch because the shape of the cell was changed by the manufacturer enough to cause this sort of problem.

But other than that, there is no trick. You just sit the battery in place as best you can, and carefully press the back on.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick question - di the old battery stay in place? If so, one thing to look at is the shape of the new battery compared to the old one. Sizes are standard, but there can be differences in the way corners on some cells are shaped that make them more or less able to stay in place, depending on the specific brand. I know that in at least one instance a brand I work on often (Omega) changed the battery they recommended for a specific watch because the shape of the cell was changed by the manufacturer enough to cause this sort of problem.

But other than that, there is no trick. You just sit the battery in place as best you can, and carefully press the back on.
You bring up some very good points. The old battery didn't stay in place any better than the new one. A fellow member sent me a p.m. and described a "trick" that works for him. I will give that a try on another watch.
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I would have tried placing a small thin plastic shim on the non contact side of the cell to keep it in position.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Care to share the "trick"?
OK. It is very simple. Cut a very small piece of black rubber weatherstripping that has an adhesive on only one side. Stick this piece on the back of the battery. Drop the new battery in place. Now, when you install the watch back, the battery will be held in place by the piece of rubber and will not slip. The rubber acts as a shim of sorts. Mr. Dennis has basically the same idea.
Joe

Reactions: drdas007

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would think that because someone asked me to share the "trick," that I am not the only one who has run into this "problem." There must be many others.
Joe

Reactions: drdas007

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts