WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

So I have been into watches now for nearly a year and have learnt a load but so far have only been interested in Swiss and maybe a few German watches. With my favourite brands being JLC, Rolex, Tudor, Omega and Bremont.

But I am now very close to the conclusion that my collection at some point should contain a grand seiko. I am most interested in the quartz models at the moment with the 9F movements, 50 years service interval appeals! Plus the accuracy and the outstanding value for the finishing on the watches. Who has one of these beauties? Care to share a pic and your experiences?

Main reason I am not drawn particularly towards high beat or spring drive is because they need regular servicing and I have heard more than a few times that Seiko are pretty bad at keeping parts for old watches. A particular obsession I have is that I want all the watches I buy to last my entire life, and I am 23 now so barring anything going very wrong, long term serviceability is of paramount importance. Can anyone ease my fears or can they actually confirm them?

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
if you're getting a Grand Seiko might as well get a spring drive one for the lovely unique to seiko spring drive movement...but the point about upkeep is fair enough. I don't know how much of a hassle it really is, never having owned one, but I imagine it would end up lasting your entire life.

some rich tastes for a 23 year old! jeez ;-)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
As long as you keep it regularly serviced, I can't imagine GS watches having anything marvelously rare inside that would make it impossible to service by a good watchmaker. Yes, worn parts may become an issue, but I think that can be minimized by regular servicing and I don't imagine the current crop of GS mechanical movements or Spring Drive going anywhere anytime soon. The reason a lot of vintage GS parts are no longer around is because the mechanical GS line was non-existent for 20 or so years. I have a really hard time believing they couldn't or wouldn't service a 9S or 9R in 20, 30, or even 50 years, at least any less so than other comparable watches from other brands.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as you keep it regularly serviced, I can't imagine GS watches having anything marvelously rare inside that would make it impossible to service by a good watchmaker. Yes, worn parts may become an issue, but I think that can be minimized by regular servicing and I don't imagine the current crop of GS mechanical movements or Spring Drive going anywhere anytime soon. The reason a lot of vintage GS parts are no longer around is because the mechanical GS line was non-existent for 20 or so years. I have a really hard time believing they couldn't or wouldn't service a 9S or 9R in 20, 30, or even 50 years, at least any less so than other comparable watches from other brands.
i have emailed a few brands from memory, omega say they guarantee parts for 20 years but usually service anything, JLC said they service everything, if they don't have the part they make it for you.

I agree likelihood is that it would be fine, not sure I would take the risk though on such an expensive watch. This is why I am favouring the 9f quartz because the watch is so fine plus all it needs is battery changes for the next 50years before it needs relubricating.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bought a Bremont, that is a watch from a company that was founded ten years ago, but you're skeptical about Seiko?
I don't own any of the brands mentioned just follow them and have tried them on and know I like them or at least some of them. Not skeptical about seiko at all just their policy on keeping old parts, they make an outstanding watch and the value is famously great but that value decreases lots if they can't guarantee parts for my expensive watch. A bremont on the other hand uses ETA which being so common will be easy to get parts for.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Excellent points, and my thoughts exactly. Spring drive and GS mech were introduced in 1997/1998 respectively. They're much older than most other Swiss brand's new in-house movements, and instead of being slapped together in a last minute rush to get aboard the manufacture gravy train, Seiko has been working on the resuscitation of Grand Seiko and it's movements for decades. With the way GS is spreading it's tentacles, AS IF there wouldn't be a SD tri-syncro regulator module or a SPRON mainspring somewhere to maintain your watch. The only kick in the arse is the trouble of sending it to Japan.

However, if you're really that worried, a Grand Seiko 9F would probably be the cheapest watch to own in the world, considering the movement would never stop working and has no solar/kinetic tech inside. Just one battery every 3 years (anyone can do it) and that's about it.

I have a SBGX091 and love it to bits. Probably more than my SD. Since you asked for pics....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I read a thread on another forum about the first model Springdrive from 1999. The owner is not sure of the service history but it's currently running to spec and looks brand new. I own a Springdrive tuna and as far as I'm concerned the technology is incredible. I would buy a GS Springdrive, in fact the snowflake is on my hit list.

Enjoy the journey

Pete

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm in the kind of same boat as you. GS quartz appeal to me because of the low maintenance. Also, they're whole lot less expensive than the automatic ones while maintaining the same fit and finish. I've been eying on the SBGV005. I really like the 5-link bracelet style and a blued second hand.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would never try to talk you out of a Grand Seiko but, if you're interested in quartz Grand Seikos, you owe it to yourself to also check out Citizen's Chronomaster and AQ line of thermocompensated watches.
Very true, you should definitely shop across with Citizen. They make pretty incredible quartz watches and definitely beat the 9F on specs and the 10 year warranty, since that is of concern to you. From other HAQers, the finish is supposedly just as good as GS, just a bit different in their approach. Although the 9F wins the beauty contest all day every day in my eyes. ;)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i have emailed a few brands from memory, omega say they guarantee parts for 20 years but usually service anything, JLC said they service everything, if they don't have the part they make it for you.
The only thing that makes me hesitate with statements like that from the companies that say they can make parts for you, is the cost associated with that. You want that special Patek or JLC part made specifically for your vintage watch? It'll only cost you at least $1000 or so... ;)

I'm sure Seiko is very well capable of re-making certain parts if you pay them enough, it just seems they've decided that that's not how they want to approach their business. Who knows, maybe they will custom make GS parts for thousands of dollars 20-30 years from now? Maybe JLC will one day announce that it's too expensive to custom fabricate parts.

The only concrete basis I have to evaluate my purchases is the information that is currently available and is fact. The fact, for me, is that GS makes an incredible product at an incredible value (which I admit is subjective) with very reasonable service costs considering it is sent back to the studio it was produced in for servicing.

Also, the 50 year servicing interval is not guaranteed by Seiko but just an off-hand remark on their website regarding the 9F that it might be possible to go 50 years without servicing. I'm sure it will last quite a while, but it doesn't stop me from setting aside a small portion of my watch fund for servicing my HAQ Seiko quartzes... :)

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Very true, you should definitely shop across with Citizen. They make pretty incredible quartz watches and definitely beat the 9F on specs and the 10 year warranty, since that is of concern to you. From other HAQers, the finish is supposedly just as good as GS, just a bit different in their approach. Although the 9F wins the beauty contest all day every day in my eyes. ;)
The only solution to this dilemma is to have one of each.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Seiko has new models every year, Rolex has new models every year, Omega has new models every year..I would worry which one to flip so that I can buy the latest...ten years are just toooo long to imagine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've owned my GS s (automatic and hi beat) for a few months only, so my experience is not all that relevant. All I can say is: Get. One. Now. The feeling is so great, you will completely forget about the future and whatever toils and troubles may await you! Get one and enjoy it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
A particular obsession I have is that I want all the watches I buy to last my entire life, and I am 23 now so barring anything going very wrong, long term serviceability is of paramount importance. Can anyone ease my fears or can they actually confirm them?

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
I will suggest a different approach:
Just buy a $150-$200 Seiko Quartz, (They are quite good), and replace it every 4-5 years.
You won't have to pay for a service (that is more than $200 for a GS).
You will always have a new watch.
And that can be done forever.

But if you want one of the superb GS, That is another story and you will have to compromise on a few points.

Reactions: jeepie

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A Grand Seiko Quartz is absolutely a great watch to consider; worry free, grab-n'-go, and amazing fit and finish.

I am on my second; I had an SBGX063, which I sold (when my eyes wondered), but I missed it - so, I picked up the anti-magnetic quartz (SBGX093). Here are some pictures:

My current SBGX093 -

My past GSQ, SBGX063 -

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will suggest a different approach:
Just buy a $150-$200 Seiko Quartz, (They are quite good), and replace it every 4-5 years.
You won't have to pay for a service (that is more than $200 for a GS).
You will always have a new watch.
And that can be done forever.

But if you want one of the superb GS, That is another story and you will have to compromise on a few points.
hmm yeah that exactly the opposite of what i want to do. i am really into my watches and the history of them etc etc and to me they are more than disposable items really.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only solution to this dilemma is to have one of each.

That citizen is certainly very nice looking, will check out the range, thanks (to the others that suggested it too). Still feel I would go with GS as my only quartz though

1 - 20 of 39 Posts