WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'll get some pictures up soon, but was wondering if anyone knew how much this watch would sell for?

It was sold in 1967
The movement number is - 24535039
Model/Ref number is - ST.105003

My dad originally owned this watch, bought it for £60 in 1967
I have the original international warranty card, mini instruction book and reciept of purchase

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
nice watch Adam, wouldn´t sell it thou ;-)
it quite used but if everything else works, you´ll get a price above 800Euros
at the bay because people pay crazy prices right now
for example this Speedy auction text says "not working, crown lost, i just want to get rid of the watch" .
By the way i was born 1967 so if you intend to sell it send me a message :-!

Happy new year

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hmm..1967..:think: :think:

My guess would be a bit earlier, streight lugs, the word ''professional'' missing on the dail.

But for that kind of money your dad made a great deal..:-!
I would also keep it..;-)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
as i said ABOVE 800Euros ;-)
Sure you´ll get more but you always have to consider a complete overhaul
at Bienne for that beauty :)
Ok lets say it like this from my point of view it would be worth 800Euros
plus the restauration at Omega so that´s about 1300Euros.
At the bay you might get 1600Euros for it, but that´s totaly out of range in
this condition b-)

I would say you will get much more than 800euros for that early model

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
If it is a pre pro then have it restored

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, what would be the best way to go about getting this watch restored?

I've checked over omega's site for restoration, but I can't find a price anywhere

Does anyone know a rough idea of how much it would cost?

I did see the repair price is - CHF 820

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Beautiful, classic Speedy

These straight-lug pre-Pros are beautiful watches, and this may be one of the last 105.003s, since the last year of production was 1966.

Yours is interesting because it has a later style slab-side center seconds hand, which is thought to first appear in '68. The hands may have been replaced, at some point.

It looks like it was worn as intended: as a tough, rugged timepiece. So, I agree with other's suggestions that you have it cleaned up a bit. You should consider what type of restoration you're interested in. As you note, having Omega do the work will not be cheap, but they'll restore it to as close to new condition as possible. That is, they'll want to replace a lot of visible parts. Some, myself included, think that a classic watch like this should retain as many original parts as possible.

If you know of a good local watchmaker, you might have him offer a quote. At the very least, the movement should be serviced, which will run a couple hundred dollars, assuming there is no damage. I'd also have him clean up the dial a bit and replace the crystal.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Adam, it's a 105.003, also known as the 'Ed White' Speedmaster, after a pre-moon astronaut who wore it. You don't often see an all-original model like this one!

It sure needs a little restoration but whatever you do, make sure that you keep as many of the original parts as possible, even if it looks a bit used as a result. After all, it's a vintage watch so it may look the part! Also, too many watches have been spoiled by making them look 'as new' by using incorrect parts, such as replacing burnt-out tritium dials with neon-bright luminova, etc.

Same for polishing the case. Sure needs a polish, but don't overdo it. The more shiny and unscarred the case gets, the more blurred the creases and lines of the case and lugs become.

These are my recommendations. Unfortunately I have no experience with having it done myself, since I prefer buying them from someone who's gone to the trouble already :) so sorry I cannot help you on costs.

But there are a lot of specialized Omega restorers who undoubtedly will be pleased to quote. Do a search on 'Omega restoration' or the like.

Good luck, your watch is worth it!

Jos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Primarily I want to sell it, I really have no use for it and don't like keeping things around for show, so to speak

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had an offer of £1500 for it (or - 2,940 USD)

What you guys think? worth it?

That was from watches.co.uk

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Tough to say

I had an offer of £1500 for it (or - 2,940 USD)

What you guys think? worth it?

That was from watches.co.uk
It's really tough to say, Adam. The values of old Speedies vary quite a bit, depending on obvious things like condition, originality of parts, how well it's been taken care of (serviced), as well as how much the buyer wants it and how badly the seller wants to get rid of it.

One very critical thing we don't know about yours is the condition of the movement. It could be in excellent operating condition, or it could be rusted and in need of extensive repair. If the guts look good and you have it serviced, it could fetch a fair amount more. If it's in need of costly repair, it could be less. Until that is determined, the most I would want to say is that the price is somewhere in the ballpark.

eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I agree

As far as I know, the movement is aok, it keeps time and when I DID wear it, I normally wound it up once a day (few turns till it felt like there was resistance)

Although, not being a watch fanatic, I didn't check the timings or whether it was accurate etc

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
What I would do...

Before you do anything else, I'd highly recommend that you take a few minutes and drop by a local watchmaker and ask him to remove the caseback and give you a quick assessment of the movement. He should be able to give you some general idea of its condition.

I always feel better when I know as much as I can about an item that I'm buying or selling. It can only benefit both parties involved.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of these, in excellent condition, sold for £1850 this week. As has been pointed out, yours has a replacement second hand, and I wonder about the caseback, as these were usually stepped on this model - take the back off to check caseback number.

The prices on these are going up sharply. I think it is remarkable that a dealer has offered you so much for this watch. You might get more selling it yourself, but that wouldn't be guaranteed - it depends how much a buyer wants one of these.

I've been amazed that such historic watches have been available for prices considerably lower than the much commoner Rolex Subs (for example) so am not surprised to see prices suddenly going up.

I think you would do well to get £1500 for it now, but I would be tempted to get it restored by Swiss Time Services in UK and then decide if you want to sell. I think prices will continue up for a while. What do others think?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts