WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this today and what a nice way to finish the year with another Snake Killer!

I have been looking for the right one for quite some time but they are pretty rare and don't crop up often. Still patience paid off and I managed to grab this one.

As you can see it is NOS which is great with these Snake Killers as the fancy paintwork can wear.

The model is the G-2000FL-6JR and is one of just three models that Casio made with this colour scheme the most famous being the Snake Killer Frogman. They are all pretty rare though.

These G-2000s are underrated classics imo. They are like mini Frogs with their screwback cases and a really solid feel on the wrist. The module is pretty basic but covers all the essentials well. Want a solid G shock that feels to have some quality in it and don't want a giant then the G-2000s fit the bill.

Here are a couple of wrist shots and you can see what a lovely interplay with the light there is even in the depths of winter.

Just a couple of shots with the Real Black G-2000 and the DW-6900 Snake Killer to finish.

Mitch

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very nice indeed, congrats!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mitch I think you should at this one for your collection, eBay item no. 181193690264 (not sure if I'm allowed to post this but the watch is nothing to do with me, because if it was mine it would be on my wrist!) 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Wow that is awesome! I think this one is harder to find than the Frogman Snakekiller. Great condition, too.

The Frogman Snakekiller (or "poison frogman") is the same color, only in Frogman form, and is nicknamed Snakekiller because it resembles a colorful poison frog (that can kill a snake if a snake attacks it). All the watches that were released in this color were also nicknamed "snakekillers" even though they were not frogs. There is also a 6900.

This paint color came out around the same time (maybe a year or two later) as automobile paint that changes color depending on how the light hits it. The cars painted in this scheme were a fad for a short time. I think the coating on these watches is using that technology.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Wow that is awesome! I think this one is harder to find than the Frogman Snakekiller. Great condition, too.

The Frogman Snakekiller (or "poison frogman") is the same color, only in Frogman form, and is nicknamed Snakekiller because it resembles a colorful poison frog (that can kill a snake if a snake attacks it). All the watches that were released in this color were also nicknamed "snakekillers" even though they were not frogs. There is also a 6900.

This paint color came out around the same time (maybe a year or two later) as automobile paint that changes color depending on how the light hits it. The cars painted in this scheme were a fad for a short time. I think the coating on these watches is using that technology.
Thanks for that info! I think it would be cool if Casio brought this kinda paint job back for 2014.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Wonderful catch Mitch! I never even knew Casio did a limited 2000, much less like that one! Congrats! :beer:

sent with aloha

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Big congrats! I have two of these G-2000FL's and a total of 4 G-2000's. I also have the Frog and 6900 Snake Killer. They are great watches that are very underrated. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks great! Congrats! why is it called Snake Killer though?

Well Kung has already answered actually. The Snake Killer nickname was quickly given to the GW-201 Frogman which was also called the Poison Frog due to its iridescent colour scheme which referenced certain species of poisonous frogs, which excrete a poison onto their skins which is deadly to more than snakes. Mind you Man Killer might not have been as popular a name!

The poison frog referencing was probably deliberate by Casio as the EL light had a frog wearing a gas mask!

The Snake Killer nickname was then given to the other two watches Casio did in this colour scheme and so they have been known ever since.

Mitch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well Kung has already answered actually. The Snake Killer nickname was quickly given to the GW-201 Frogman which was also called the Poison Frog due to its iridescent colour scheme which referenced certain species of poisonous frogs, which excrete a poison onto their skins which is deadly to more than snakes. Mind you Man Killer might not have been as popular a name!

The poison frog referencing was probably deliberate by Casio as the EL light had a frog wearing a gas mask!

The Snake Killer nickname was then given to the other two watches Casio did in this colour scheme and so they have been known ever since.

Mitch
Thanks for the lesson, it's a very nice watch collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
The poison frog referencing was probably deliberate by Casio as the EL light had a frog wearing a gas mask! Mitch
Now that sounds like a badass EL image!! It's a shame 2013 did not have any proper EL images.. from what I saw, nothing was 2 impressive.. maybe 2014 will have some good ones..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts