WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Well, after bouncing between a Junghans, Archimede, and Stowa in a quest to get my first German watch, i've decided on a marine classic. I had a few questions for you knowledgeable Stowa owners. :)

1. I've read several people say the Marine classic 36mm wears bigger almost like a 38mm. I have a 6 1/2 wrist and have read people with similar wrists saying 36mm looks fine. For reference, I had a seiko bellmatic 36mm (an old 1970's watch from my dad who passed away) and really did not like how small the 36mm looked on my wrist when i tried it on.

my current watch collection is all 40mm (one 42mm) and i personally find the 40mm pleasing on my wrist. My gut tells me to go for the marine classic 40mm as a result but am i going to feel it's too big since it tends to wear bigger than it is due to the all dial design?

2) I plan on choosing the hand winding option and NO date option.
Their website says the hand wound option uses ETA 2804-2 mechanical movement which has a date?
does Stowa actually modify the movement to remove the date?
Or will you still get the ghost crown position (where the date adjust would normally be)? I know it's a little detail but i think it would bother me if it was there

3) For those of you that chose the hand winding movement, did you like it? i have never had a hand winding so i thought i would try it over the usual automatic.

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello everyone!

Well, after bouncing between a Junghans, Archimede, and Stowa in a quest to get my first German watch, i've decided on a marine classic. I had a few questions for you knowledgeable Stowa owners. :)

1. I've read several people say the Marine classic 36mm wears bigger almost like a 38mm. I have a 6 1/2 wrist and have read people with similar wrists saying 36mm looks fine. For reference, I had a seiko bellmatic 36mm (an old 1970's watch from my dad who passed away) and really did not like how small the 36mm looked on my wrist when i tried it on.

my current watch collection is all 40mm (one 42mm) and i personally find the 40mm pleasing on my wrist. My gut tells me to go for the marine classic 40mm as a result but am i going to feel it's too big since it tends to wear bigger than it is due to the all dial design?

2) I plan on choosing the hand winding option and NO date option.
Their website says the hand wound option uses ETA 2804-2 mechanical movement which has a date?
does Stowa actually modify the movement to remove the date?
Or will you still get the ghost crown position (where the date adjust would normally be)? I know it's a little detail but i think it would bother me if it was there

3) For those of you that chose the hand winding movement, did you like it? i have never had a hand winding so i thought i would try it over the usual automatic.

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan
Hello Jonathan,

1. I think you have made a nice choice to opt for Marine Classic. I think for your wrist 36mm would be perfect as well. I really like the hands on 36mm and 41mm when compared to 40mm, which is just my personal preference. So, 36mm should just be perfect for you.

2. You should be able to get this information from Stowa website under FAQ: STOWA GmbH+CO KG | Flieger- & Marineuhren seit 1927

They have mentioned about hand wound ETA 2804-2:
- date function (if your watch has no date function/window we will deactivate the date function and the crown will have only two instead of three positions)

3. Hand-wind watches are definitely worth a try. Some might not like it but I feel it is really nice I felt a personal connection with the watch as it is dependent on you to wind it everyday for it to work. I currently own the 41mm version as I particularly wanted to go for Unitas 6498 movement and so had no choice but to go for the bigger 41mm. I have about 7 inch wrist and 41mm sits perfectly fine.

If you have slightly higher budget you could consider Dornblüth & Sohn watches as well.

Hope you find this post helpful. Thanks!

Good Luck! :)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
For the date question, I believe they just remove the mechanism. I’m unsure of a ghost position since I’ve never felt one. I have heard good things about the hand winds they offer, especially the Unitas 6498.

Below is a wrist shot for you to reference size: (My wrist is 160mm, Stowa Marine 36)

Reactions: Tom Kellie

·
Registered
Damasko DS30 Windup, Casio G-Shock (GW-M5610)
577 Posts
To your first question I will say for your wrist size I would definitely go with the 36mm.

My favorite size of watches is 37-39mm and with 36mm it can be hit or miss on whether I like that size or not depending on the watch. I also do not often buy into the whole "wears bigger" or "wears smaller" line of thought and usually think a watch wear how big it is.

With all that being said I was pleasantly surprised when I got a Marine Classic 36 with top grade 2824. The bezel is so slim resulting in a big for its size dial that it does not appear small to me. I figured the size would be good for me as my daily watch is a 38mm Omega Aqua Terra which has a similar lug to lug length. However I used to have a Smith Everest Expedition which has similar sizing to the Stow Marine 36 but it felt smaller due to the smaller dial/crystal and larger bezel. Also having that clean and expansive white dial helps to give a bigger visual impact on the Marine 36.

Quick picture (apologize for the lack of quality, pretty gray and gloomy here today)

Edited to add: Forgot to mention I have a little less than 6.75" wrist

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the date question, I believe they just remove the mechanism. I’m unsure of a ghost position since I’ve never felt one. I have heard good things about the hand winds they offer, especially the Unitas 6498.

Below is a wrist shot for you to reference size: (My wrist is 160mm, Stowa Marine 36)
View attachment 15523375
Thanks for taking the time to send a photo shot. Gosh, i'm torn on the size...guess the 36mm isn't bad then if you're about 6.2 inch wrist size.
Do you find the onion crown looks ok in proportion to the 36mm dial? i say this because in the 40mm dial, the crown seems a tiny bit more in proportion. it's like it's the same size crown on the 36mm?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To your first question I will say for your wrist size I would definitely go with the 36mm.

My favorite size of watches is 37-39mm and with 36mm it can be hit or miss on whether I like that size or not depending on the watch. I also do not often buy into the whole "wears bigger" or "wears smaller" line of thought and usually think a watch wear how big it is.

With all that being said I was pleasantly surprised when I got a Marine Classic 36 with top grade 2824. The bezel is so slim resulting in a big for its size dial that it does not appear small to me. I figured the size would be good for me as my daily watch is a 38mm Omega Aqua Terra which has a similar lug to lug length. However I used to have a Smith Everest Expedition which has similar sizing to the Stow Marine 36 but it felt smaller due to the smaller dial/crystal and larger bezel. Also having that clean and expansive white dial helps to give a bigger visual impact on the Marine 36.

Quick picture (apologize for the lack of quality, pretty gray and gloomy here today)

Edited to add: Forgot to mention I have a little less than 6.75" wrist

Thank you for the photos! You and the others all seem to be convincing me towards the 36mm i think.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to send a photo shot. Gosh, i'm torn on the size...guess the 36mm isn't bad then if you're about 6.2 inch wrist size.
Do you find the onion crown looks ok in proportion to the 36mm dial? i say this because in the 40mm dial, the crown seems a tiny bit more in proportion. it's like it's the same size crown on the 36mm?
I guess I’ve never really thought about it. It seems like they probably use the same crown but I’ve never held them side by side, so I’m not positive. On the 36mm I think the crown seems to match the dial size nicley. I never really find my self feeling that its out of proportion.

Reactions: Jonathan T

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Jonathan,

1. I think you have made a nice choice to opt for Marine Classic. I think for your wrist 36mm would be perfect as well. I really like the hands on 36mm and 41mm when compared to 40mm, which is just my personal preference. So, 36mm should just be perfect for you.

2. You should be able to get this information from Stowa website under FAQ: STOWA GmbH+CO KG | Flieger- & Marineuhren seit 1927

They have mentioned about hand wound ETA 2804-2:
- date function (if your watch has no date function/window we will deactivate the date function and the crown will have only two instead of three positions)

3. Hand-wind watches are definitely worth a try. Some might not like it but I feel it is really nice I felt a personal connection with the watch as it is dependent on you to wind it everyday for it to work. I currently own the 41mm version as I particularly wanted to go for Unitas 6498 movement and so had no choice but to go for the bigger 41mm. I have about 7 inch wrist and 41mm sits perfectly fine.

If you have slightly higher budget you could consider Dornblüth & Sohn watches as well.

Hope you find this post helpful. Thanks!

Good Luck! :)
thank you for your long reply. Indeed i am looking at a Dornblueth now. they have it in 40mm size dial but i am trying to determine if the lug to lug is < 50mm. I am hoping it's 48mm or so as i cannot wear anything bigger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Marine Classic is a beautiful watch. I have the 40mm and 6.6inch wrists. The watch wears and looks great on my wrist; however, I believe I would enjoy wearing the 36mm better, if that makes any sense. As I’ve learned about myself... if I would’ve bought the 36 I’d think the 40 would look better 😜.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the 36mm looks very harmonious, furthermore, I believe Stowa is the only manufacturer out there making marine chronographs in a <40mm size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Marine Classic is a beautiful watch. I have the 40mm and 6.6inch wrists. The watch wears and looks great on my wrist; however, I believe I would enjoy wearing the 36mm better, if that makes any sense. As I’ve learned about myself... if I would’ve bought the 36 I’d think the 40 would look better
yeah I hear ya. Well all my watches are 40mm or bigger except my 36mm field watch which is fine for a field watch but I feel it is on the small size. Even my 40mm off white dial watch with 46mm lug to lug feels a tad small to me 🤣 I know myself and my wrist and I think I will find 36mm will feel too small for me. I also can’t resist the Unitas movement on the Marine original 🤣🤣🤣 ah decisions.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the 36mm looks very harmonious, furthermore, I believe Stowa is the only manufacturer out there making marine chronographs in a <40mm size.
yeah I hear ya. Well all my watches are 40mm or bigger except my 36mm field watch which is fine for a field watch but I feel it is on the small size. Even my 40mm off white dial watch with 46mm lug to lug feels a tad small to me 🤣 I know myself and my wrist and I think I will find 36mm will feel too small for me. I also can’t resist the Unitas movement on the Marine original 🤣🤣🤣 ah decisions.......
I swear this is a sickness I have 😂. You can’t go wrong either. I’ve even thought about selling my 40 to try a 36 . But my wife says it’s her favorite watch I have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just an update: I came to a decision. I didn’t get either the MO or marine classic. I got sucked down another rabbit hole.
I put down a deposit for a Dornbluth 🤗

99.1 medium (40mm) and getting a custom engraved dial with filled numerals and sterling silver finish.

now the hard part: waiting. ☹

·
Registered
353 Posts
just an update: I came to a decision. I didn’t get either the MO or marine classic. I got sucked down another rabbit hole.
I put down a deposit for a Dornbluth

View attachment 15569824

99.1 medium (40mm) and getting a custom engraved dial with filled numerals and sterling silver finish.

now the hard part: waiting.
Amazing...you’ll love it.

I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts