WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1086 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have to tip my hat to you on this creation of yours. It is top notch.
I was looking at the A-13A and noticed that the back side of the hand of the center counters are wider than yours. I was thinking you could widen yours and lengthen them slightly to make up for some of the diameter of the counter weight portion. Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would love to wear this design in a standard 3 hand config, or with a gmt function. Very nicely done.
+1 on the GMT function - I use GMT more often than a chronograph whilst flying.

I'd love to see this as a Kickstarter project though. The fact that this watch looks perfectly at home sat next to a Speedy is fantastic.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
The GMT might be an option for the future, but not before consolidating ideas for the chrono. My vision for the GMT is that it should have a bidirectional bezel. Will see. :eek:)

Armadillo, yes one of the many configurations of the central hands that I've calculate featured a wider back side. Unfortunately it met the unbalance requirements, but the total weight exceeded the maximum allowable. The reason in that the most efficient way to balance the hand is by adding mass away from the pivot point. You can surely add mass closer to the pivot point but then you need more mass to achieve the same unbalance ratio.

The stringent unbalance ratio specified by the manufacturer of the movement is intended to avoid hands slippage in case of lateral shock. I made some poor man "g-shock" tests, basically I wear my watch while jogging, golfing, riding mountain-bike and motorbike, shooting (not really a torture test , but quite demanding activites) and I didn't experience so far hands slippage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks you guys for your encouragement. I really need that right now.

@Connavar. Lume right now is...adeguate. I mean, I can easily read the watch at 6:00AM in the darkness when most of the glown is gone, but it's not like my ultra bright vintage Omega Seamaster 300, my benchmark when it comes to lume performance. I think that for the purpose of this watch it's acceptable, but I confess I wish it could glow more. I'm investigating if I can have that feature improved, but it doesn't look so easy. Also remember that almost all hands manufactures declined my request for aluminum hands. Not easy.

I'm waiting the first prototype of a new crown, slightly thinner and with an airfoil engraved, as well as the new buckle and the new case back deep acid etched. If everything goes OK I should have my watch 99% completed and I could start with a cost analysis.

Here is a quick, unprofessional photos I took while having breakfast of the watch case courtesy made by my friend Paolo (he makes luxury bags for top fashion brands). It's just a prototype in leather while the final version will be in ballistic Cordura. The foldable leaflet with instructions comes from Alberto, aircraft mechanic, who suggested to make it close to the "yellow tag" that identifies serviced aircraft parts ready for flight. It's sounds like an excellent idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dear Paolorange, Really envying you this beautiful project. Complimenti! Please include me in your list of those who would be happy to acquire one of your designs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is a quick, unprofessional photos I took while having breakfast of the watch case courtesy made by my friend Paolo (he makes luxury bags for top fashion brands). It's just a prototype in leather while the final version will be in ballistic Cordura. The foldable leaflet with instructions comes from Alberto, aircraft mechanic, who suggested to make it close to the "yellow tag" that identifies serviced aircraft parts ready for flight. It's sounds like an excellent idea.

Just looking at the case; have you considered using waxed canvas as opposed to ballistic Cordura?

Loving the idea behind the manual, ties in with the proper bona-fide aviation instrument feel; I always get that 'warm fuzzy feeling' from having a set of FRCs in hand!

Really can't wait to see this go further to possibly being available for purchase, I for one am very interested!

Kindest Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
... I always get that 'warm fuzzy feeling' from having a set of FRCs in hand!
I absolutely share your point! Let me explain this to people who didn't experience this feeling. Just have a look of this:

When you roll in your hand this superbly manufactured (and expensive like a Rolex) aircraft piece you can clearly hear: "Hey I'm your new fuel shut off valve and I'll take care of you up there!". I can't explain better then this.

That's the kind of feeling I want my watch to suggest, otherwise my project will fail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear Paolarange,
As mentioned earlier i have marvelled and admired this watch design and have spent many a moment looking at it as i will at some point be buying a new pilots watch....I have to ask (and this is not a criticism of your design in any way - as it is your watch) but i am constantly drawn to the numeral "9" thinking that it seems offcentre, 10 degrees skewed to the right maybe..the tail of the 9 could be shortened?? In comparison the top part of the "6" finishes roughly in line with halfway of the circle.....in the "9" the bottom extends to the end of the circle "or so it seems".... i'll guess its just the way the font is..Im not normally pedantic about minute details...your thoughts?.......................still a bloody good watch...love to see it on a brown leather strap.. Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ciao Connavar. The all thing about the font of the number has been another source of headache. :eek:)
As you know I've tried to adapt as much as possible the general layout specified by the MIL-C-6499 to my watch. This specificaton says that numerals and letter shall comply with MS33558.

So, I agree with your comment that makes perfect sense to me. The 9 looks wrong, but I'v decided to stick to the original 33558

Thanks PapaZulu for sharing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Subscribed!

Just discovered this thread, and I love this watch! How do large companies get their designs so wrong, and paolorange can get it so right?! :-!

The 9 looks wrong, but I'v decided to stick to the original 33558
IMO I like how you're staying with the Mil-Spec stencil typeface. Even if someone didn't know there was a typeface spec, it just somehow "feels" right and authentic when you look at the dial.

It really annoys when I see Flieger-inspired watches that don't use the DIN typeface. Just looks and feels wrong. :-| But then again, I'm a graphic design nerd, so I notice stuff like that. :roll:

P.S. I was wondering if the tip of elapsed time hand would look better in a different colour? Or is this less functional or against the Mil-Spec? Most watch companies use the clichéd red or orange, but someone once told me that red is difficult to read under cockpit lights. Oris uses yellow for the GMT hands in their ProPilot range.

I'm sure whatever you decide will look great. It's looking awesome already.
image.jpg

41 - 60 of 1086 Posts