WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1021 - 1040 of 1089 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,024 ·
While still under the effect if the viruses, I repost here a request of help...

I'm in the process to design a deployment clasp for my A-13A. I confess I have pretty confuse ideas about the general configuration, but the few cornerstones are:

-it should work with a regular strap, not specifically crafted for deployment clasp,
-a regular tang buckle at one end would look smart to me
-a safety button/buttons is welcome
-I do not like that much the "butterfly" type

Here below some claps that I like a lot, but their are still not ...perfect: Ebel, Frederike Constant, Seiko.

Any thought?

Thanks
Paolo

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use the Hirsch Sport clasp on many of my straps and really like the ease and simplicity of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The watch data are:

- 42mm diameter- 13mm thickness
- 52mm lug to lug
- 20mm lug width

--> A-13A homepage: https://www.a-13a.com/shop/en/

My wrist is 180-185 mm, wrist with is 58 mm. Here's my wrist with data and a Seiko Turtle, maybe you can relate to this watch to get an idea:

View attachment 12762013

Here are some wristshots:

View attachment 12762047

View attachment 12762049

View attachment 12762051

View attachment 12762055

View attachment 12762063

View attachment 12762067

View attachment 12762071

View attachment 12762075

View attachment 12762077

Probably it also helps to see this rather popular watch on my wrist:

View attachment 12762103

I mostly wear my Omega Railmaster, which is 39,2 mm:

View attachment 12762109

I think, a 'good' size for a watch on your wrist depends not only on your wrist size but also on the type of the watch. I wouldn't wear a dress watch with a thin bezel that would have the dimensions of the A-13A. But e.g. divers or pilots can be worn bigger. The A-13A as a pilot and chrono is just perfect for me, as much as my smaller Railmaster is. It depends on the style.

My 2 ¢: When the lugs protrude your wrist it get's borderline. Everything below is a matter of taste.

Cheers
Bernd
Wow Bernd! What a great and detailed answer to my question. Thank you so much. Very kind man with photo too! I'm also glad that other community members appreciated your answer.:-!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Paolo, the great advantage of the Omega one (and THIS strapcode one) and a few others is that the tail goes under the clasp.
So much nicer and easier than tucking the end into the keepers.
And you are right, butterflies are useless and uncomfortable.
Dave

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
I don't understand, Paolo. Are you designing one to sell for the watch?

I prefer ANY type of deployant over a buckle!

Omega is good, my TAG is good... hell, even a cheap old Ingersoll I have, is even good! I especially like them for the wear and tear they save on straps.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,035 ·
Paolo, the great advantage of the Omega one (and THIS strapcode one) and a few others is that the tail goes under the clasp.
So much nicer and easier than tucking the end into the keepers.
And you are right, butterflies are useless and uncomfortable.
Dave
Very nice indeed Dave! Noted!
My only concern about the Omega style deployant clasp (that in my opinion is the best out of here) is that it needs a dedicated strap and most of us love to experiment new straps on a regular basis.

I don't understand, Paolo. Are you designing one to sell for the watch?
I prefer ANY type of deployant over a buckle!
Omega is good, my TAG is good... hell, even a cheap old Ingersoll I have, is even good! I especially like them for the wear and tear they save on straps.
At this stage I'm just testing and no decision has been taken. I agree with you too, a deployant is quicker to fasten/unfasten, stylish and does not ruin the strap so quickly.

A configuration I'm exploring right now is a deployant ...buckle. It potentially features most of the advantages of both designs while mitigating their problems.
The problem is that unfortunately the quality I've seen so far didn't impressed me so much.
Product Fashion accessory Metal Silver

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you don't ask...

The quartz movement is just fine as a mechanical one would push the price into the stratosphere. Aircraft instruments, and derivatives therein, were also used in auto rallying. This watch would be absolutely perfect for vintage rallying with the addition of an hour counter along the lines of the one in the Heuer Monte Carlo and Heuer VFR. I think it would add to then aesthetics as well. Just a suggestion.

View attachment 12886157

1021 - 1040 of 1089 Posts