WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a Tissot watch online instead of from retailers because it's about £30 cheaper.

http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/tissot-prc200-watches.php

Tissot watches from that site comes with a Tissot 2 year guarantee. Question is, if the watch does break do I normally have to go through the hassle of sending it back to the place I brought it from? Or can I send it to Tissot? Or can I send it to any jewellery shop like Goldsmith?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When you buy a watch from a Tissot authorized retailer and get the 2-year factory warranty, all warranty work must be performed by an authorized Tissot service center. You can choose any service center anywhere in the world, but they must be an authorized service center. Once the warranty has expired, you can use any watchmaker you choose to service your watch. Doing this during the warranty period will void your warranty, since Tissot can claim that the "unauthorized" watchmaker damaged your watch.

-John

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you buy a watch from a Tissot authorized retailer and get the 2-year factory warranty, all warranty work must be performed by an authorized Tissot service center. You can choose any service center anywhere in the world, but they must be an authorized service center. Once the warranty has expired, you can use any watchmaker you choose to service your watch. Doing this during the warranty period will void your warranty, since Tissot can claim that the "unauthorized" watchmaker damaged your watch.

-John
Thanks! So I guess it doesn't make any difference if I buy from an online retailer.

One more question... does adding an extra hole to the leather strap of a watch qualify as warranty work?

·
5,156 Posts
One more question... does adding an extra hole to the leather strap of a watch qualify as warranty work?
No, but it will probably void the warranty on the strap. ;-):-d

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks! So I guess it doesn't make any difference if I buy from an online retailer.

This is a tricky area. Technically it is a Swatch Group policy that authorized dealers (AD's) are NOT allowed to sell watches directly over the internet. They can advertise the brands they carry and take orders over the phone, but they aren't supposed to have a "click here to add item to your shopping cart" type of feature. I have seen AD's do this, and I've seen them have to go back and modify their websites when they are caught. If your online retailer is going to provide you with the full 2-year factory warranty, then you have the same coverage you would get by buying the watch in person.

As for the warranty, what Lee said is true. You can alter straps, bracelets, etc., but certainly not the movement. ;-)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! as soon as I narrow down the choice of getting a bracelet or strap watch I'll be getting it from thewatchhut or creative watch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noticed that online retailers often don't say "factory" or "manufacturer's" warranty. They just say warranty. And I have read somewhere that these retailers are supplying their own warranty. Anyone have experience with this? Jimbo123 - if you order the watch from those online retailers, can you let us know if the warranty is actually a Tissot manufacturer's warranty? Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed that online retailers often don't say "factory" or "manufacturer's" warranty. They just say warranty. And I have read somewhere that these retailers are supplying their own warranty. Anyone have experience with this? Jimbo123 - if you order the watch from those online retailers, can you let us know if the warranty is actually a Tissot manufacturer's warranty? Thanks.
Ok I'll tell ya what I found in the box. There was a small card in the side compartment of the Tissot box. It has the world map in grey, on top of that the Tissot Logo, "International Warranty". On the back it has date, stamp and signature. I guess that's a manufacturer's warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts