WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon me for the double post, I think I posted in the wrong section where most would not have recognized it. I didn't notice a specific citizen section.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/anyone-know-about-citizen-u200-promaster-1094201.html

I'm interested in a new watch for Christmas. Going for functionality in a nice looking package, and Citizen ends up being the obvious choice - calendar/flight dial/solar power etc. I know it's a tall order - neat/non-gaudy but crapload of functions, but I think they pull it off nicely.

So I'm looking at a few -
skyhawk jy0000-53e - ~$350 - I've read some bad stories on reliability. Are there any issues to watch out for? Stuff like the crown coming all the way off?

chrono time at - BY0000-56E. There's a few videos on youtube about it. seems easy to manage.
$_12.JPG

And here's one I can't find ANY forum/video information on. It is simpler than the one above. This is a JZ1061-57e. Is this so new noone knows much about it? I like that the crown to rotate the flight dial is on the right.
$_57.JPG
I was able to find a link to calibre page:
http://c06.coacdn.com/calibersWPC/U200_ebook.pdf

Anyone with experience or heard of this model/calibre?

NB: pics taken off ebay pages.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
if you're looking for something a little cheaper there is the citizen BL5400-52E. No radio sync but has perpetual calendar, chrono, solar...etc and the rotating ruler bezel thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I was looking at that, but something about the studded dial turns me off a bit. I DID find this version of it which looks awesome...
AS4020-44B - CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE NIGHTHAWK CHRONO AVIATOR EURO RADIO SAPPHIRE LEATHER WATCH $375

How does calendar work on a watch like this? does the dial at 2 o'clock show months?

I found another watch which I THINK is based on a similar caliber as the JZ1061:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQnT6TXaVmE

edit: no nvm not a version of the one you posted, it's different...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been digging through different navihawk, nighthawk, skyhawk and promaster models for weeks. I was looking at seiko and a momentum format 4 as well, but a combination of style and ecodrive convenience put me in citizen's camp.

I ended up going for the JZ1061. I can't find much information anywhere on it, but I have seen some youtube videos of a similar u200 based watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHR1eP6Vv_0

So it's simple to use, clearer than the others (vs skyhawks/h610). Has the slide rule, lots of functions still thanks to the digital panel. It checked off a number of "wants" on my list. I DO think I'd like to put a nice heavy leather band on instead of the metal, but I'll wait for it to arrive first.

Radio AT is cool, but I don't think I'll need it. My seiko and citizen quartz watches are so accurate I rarely correct them - though I have to admit, dials as in the BL5400 are sexier than an lcd cutout any day...

I'll let you guys know more about it when it comes. I don't have much to compare it to though - A Seiko alarm chrono (SNAA63), a Citizen Titanium chrono (AT0100-51A) and a seagull m172s.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i think the 2 oclock dial above only shows day, plus the date in the window. no months

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks. I don't get how a perpetual works without months. Perpetual means it knows how to handle months of different number days, but without the month set, how can that work?

BTW - found a small review for the u200 calibre, though a different watch.
Citizen U200 | Dies und Das | Pagetitle

I think this movement sold mostly in Europe or Asia. I really don't see much selling here stateside.

Here's a few other u200s I came accross
Citizen Promaster Eco Drive Chronograph World Time JZ1000-51L
Citizen Watches Co Ltd / Watch Lineup JZ1002-56W
Citizen Watches Co Ltd / Watch Lineup JZ1005-58E
Citizen Eco Drive Gents Ani-digital watch JZ1020-54E
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...h-43mm-jz1020-03e-a-macys-exclusive?ID=612360
An Overview of Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster World Time JZ1010-07E JZ1010-07 Men’s Watch

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure I understand your question about perpetuals. On all my perpetuals, there is a way to set the month and year from leap year. They don't display the month but you still set it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure I understand your question about perpetuals. On all my perpetuals, there is a way to set the month and year from leap year. They don't display the month but you still set it
AH! ok, that makes sense. My current watches didn't have that option, so I didn't realize that was done. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received my watch!
Pretty fast shipping from "mywatcheshub" aka "watcheszon" on ebay, though I did pay $11 extra for "xpress". Here's a few pictures before I call it a night. Click for larger original.

Awesome : digital screen can show second time zone or calendar (day/month/date) as normal and really delivers functions that only a digital can in that space.
Pro : Push buttons are quite nice to push - oneups my seiko's small push buttons easily.
Con : slide rule dial while neat isn't easily turned. The center "crown" with the read highlight is for the slide-rule, however it's not very easy to grip adding some knurling on the edges of the center crown would have made it easier.
Conish : Hands can get in the way of the main LCD display however, the display is recessed a bit, so even when the hands are above it, you can tilt the watch and see what you need. This is kind of expected with easy to see hands.

And for comparison for size/finish:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received my watch!
Pretty fast shipping from "mywatcheshub" aka "watcheszon" on ebay, though I did pay $11 extra for "xpress". Here's a few pictures before I call it a night. Click for larger original.

Awesome : digital screen can show second time zone or calendar (day/month/date) as normal and really delivers functions that only a digital can in that space.
Pro : Push buttons are quite nice to push - oneups my seiko's small push buttons easily.
Con : slide rule dial while neat isn't easily turned. The center "crown" with the read highlight is for the slide-rule, however it's not very easy to grip adding some knurling on the edges of the center crown would have made it easier.
Conish : Hands can get in the way of the main LCD display however, the display is recessed a bit, so even when the hands are above it, you can tilt the watch and see what you need. This is kind of expected with easy to see hands.

Thanks for the update. I've had my eye on that particular watch from the same seller(s) on eBay for quite a while but also haven't found much info on it online. I'm surprised such an attractive and functional watch has such low popularity considering the decent price it can be had for. Your comments about your feelings of the watch have motivated me to add yet another Citizen to my collection. I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts