WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at dinner with the old man the other day and had asked him to see his Rolex. He says he bought it new in the early 70s but from a place where it may have been sitting around for a while. It really is a lovely watch but badly in need of a servicing.

It is marked GMT on the dial, the bezel seems to rotate both directions but there is no 24 hr hand? Could it be a fake, fraken, or some sort of modification?? Any thoughts, comments, possible answers, or reference number would be much appreciated

I took a picture but it is very poor and the lighting was terrible...really would have loved to get the bracelet off and taken a closer look but wasn't able to..

-MB

dads_rol.jpg

·
4,390 Posts
Well, it's not a Submariner. It may be a legit GMT-Master with the 24 hour removed for some odd reason, or it could be a complete fake. At any rate, larger pictures are need to say anything definitive about the watch.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ thanks..

i will have to get some better pics one day..

iphone pic in dim restaurant is probably not the best way to get useful information :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is a long shot and probably not the case, but... I remember reading somewhere about a fella who had a GMT and needed the movement fixed. RSC was going to charge him an arm and a leg for a new movement. He instead, had a competent watchmaker add in an ETA movement/hands with a new retaining ring. The problem, I recall, was that the 2836-2 movement (GMT) would not fit into the Rolex case so he replaced it with another movement which was thinner but was a 3-hand movt (the watch lost the 4th hand GMT capability but can still function as a 2nd time zone via the bezel). Maybe your dad was the guy! I know that my Tudor movements are very thin but don't hack (stop when the crown is pulled out). See if it hacks.

P.S. I am not sure if it is true about which movements will fit into which cases, I am only recalling what I read.

Or.... it is as above.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is a long shot and probably not the case, but... I remember reading somewhere about a fella who had a GMT and needed the movement fixed. RSC was going to charge him an arm and a leg for a new movement. He instead, had a competent watchmaker add in an ETA movement/hands with a new retaining ring. The problem, I recall, was that the 2836-2 movement (GMT) would not fit into the Rolex case so he replaced it with another movement which was thinner but was a 3-hand movt (the watch lost the 4th hand GMT capability but can still function as a 2nd time zone via the bezel). Maybe your dad was the guy! I know that my Tudor movements are very thin but don't hack (stop when the crown is pulled out). See if it hacks.

P.S. I am not sure if it is true about which movements will fit into which cases, I am only recalling what I read.

Or.... it is as above.
That story doesn't sound right since Rolex movements are thicker than ETA movements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts