WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have very limited experience with AD's, so this may be considered a stupid question by some of you, but here it goes. If an AD only has one piece of a certain model available, and it's the one on display, can they sell it at full price even though it has been handled or tried on by dozens/hundreds of people? To me, as far as I understand, brand new means all protective stickers should be on the watch when I purchase it, so they would have to have additional, fully stickered pieces in their inventory, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I think an AD has a reasonable expectation that display models will sell eventually. I have learned to really give them a close examination and if I see any issues, I will use that to negotiate the purchase price. Some retailers will not even discuss any discounts on popular models and in those cases you can usually find other dealers to buy from.
It really depends on your preference and what you are willing to endure in a new watch. Jmho.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
If an AD only has one piece of a certain model available, and it's the one on display, can they sell it at full price even though it has been handled or tried on by dozens/hundreds of people?
I don't see why not. It doesn't mean anyone has to pay full price, but I'd think often they would find a buyer. (Assuming there wasn't anything visibly wrong with it; Scratches and dings would be another matter for most buyers I'd think.) Of course, negotiations can always take place, and maybe it being a demo would be a way to negotiate lower.

To me, as far as I understand, brand new means all protective stickers should be on the watch when I purchase it, so they would have to have additional, fully stickered pieces in their inventory, or am I wrong?
I doubt they'd have to. I know I've bought other non-watch items where the display was the only one left and no discount was offered. I don't see why watches would be any different (though I have very little experience at AD's myself).

Maybe some higher end brands require dealers to have "demo" models or something? But I can't imagine a dealer having that much stock sitting around to be sold without being able to get reasonable value for it.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
I imagine that most ADs expect to sell the display models that they have, and that's why they are often kept wrapped in cling film in order to keep them in good condition. If you really want a factory fresh watch, you might try to ask the AD to order you a new one, but chances are they'll be more motivated to sell the one they already have in stock, and you might be in a position to negotiate a better price if the condition is less than immaculate. If it is a very popular model with a high turnover, then it'll be easier to convince an AD to order a new one for you, but you need to be prepared for a wait.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Why are you buying from an AD?

sent from my Note 3

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who gave *constructive* feedback.

I asked the question not because I'm arguing one way or the other, but because I had no idea whether display models were considered brand new or "open box" type items. If I'm buying from an AD I'd rather get a fully-stickered piece, I can't stand the idea of buying a brand new watch knowing it's been handled by dozens of passersby with varying degrees of hand hygiene. If the display model is their last one, I'll just order and wait a few weeks/months.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Thanks to all who gave *constructive* feedback.

I asked the question not because I'm arguing one way or the other, but because I had no idea whether display models were considered brand new or "open box" type items. If I'm buying from an AD I'd rather get a fully-stickered piece, I can't stand the idea of buying a brand new watch knowing it's been handled by dozens of passersby with varying degrees of hand hygiene. If the display model is their last one, I'll just order and wait a few weeks/months.
I feel the exact same way and either insist they order a new one or I confirm with the brand that the one I'm buying had just recently been shipped. If the AD is willing to only sell the piece that has been on display for a long period, I can find another AD willing to accept my terms. I respect every AD's right to sell as they deem fit, but I will only buy from those who accept my terms. And I've always succeeded.

The answer to your original question is 'yes', but I just won't be that buyer. It seems like a reasonable question to me though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's the ADs right to sell display pieces as new. It's your right to buy from someone else to ensure you don't buy one.

I see no problem with either position

Personally, as long as the watch is not significantly damaged, I'd rather take the display piece as leverage for a lower price. But if there was no lower price offered id probably walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
OP...You do whatever you want...I once refused a car because they glued the dealers badge thing
on a new car I purchased...They got upset and asked why...I told them it didn't come from the factory with that on
the trunk....So they ordered me a new car. Same thing with watches, your money or no money...

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Yes it's your money, you can request whatever you want. As long as you don't buy watches in high demand or limited editions you should be fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OP...You do whatever you want...I once refused a car because they glued the dealers badge thing
on a new car I purchased...They got upset and asked why...I told them it didn't come from the factory with that on
the trunk....So they ordered me a new car. Same thing with watches, your money or no money...
Here here!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Ok, here is the deal. IF that is the ONLY one they have in stock AND REASON that is the case is because others are sold out and YOU can not get it anywhere close by, then I see NO reason why they will try to negotiate the price on it CONSIDERING that it is in short supply.

IF the reason why one can not get it is because it is discontinued model AND was popular, then no they will not negotiate.

I say only time that one will (attempt) negotiate is that:
1. It is common model that YOU don't want to wait for the AD to get it brand spanking new one for. (they may see this as opportunity NOT to negotiate)
2. It is discontinued model which was rather unpopular and has been sitting at the AD for a while. (this will be primary reason to negotiate)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm really torn as I save for my first 'big' watch purchase (~$10K). For that kind of money it is nice to know the AD is a short drive from me in the event complications occur. Buying from them would hopefully ensure they are on my side as much as the manufacturer's side should anything be needed. Also, I like the idea of supporting local businesses. But a $600 tax penalty alone... and I understand they are not prone to offering discounts, especially with a first purchase of a newly updated watch model. So a net $1500 - $2000 premium when all is said and done to get face to face service and try on and buy a watch that many others have tried on and decided not to purchase.... That's a lot of cash to enjoy 'the experience'.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So basically there is no distinction between a display piece and a fully stickered one, and it's the AD's decision whether to offer a discount. That's all I wanted to know, thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just adding my 2¢, adjusted for inflation...A demo model that's been handled by other customers (or even shop employees for that matter) is not a new watch, not by any reasonable definition of 'new'. Since you don't know how or by whom it was handled, and since determining whether or not that handling did any damage would probably require a thorough test of the watch's functionality, a demo is for all intents and purposes a used watch, and should be priced accordingly. Thus, I would only buy one if the dealer offered a significant discount. If they're not willing to budge then fork them, I'll go elsewhere. Unless you're talking about a discontinued model that sold very poorly the odds are you can find a genuinely new one elsewhere. Might have to put in some effort looking, but if it's a current model you will find one elsewhere. I have personally never heard of a demo model of anything being sold for the 'as new' price; maybe it happens, maybe I need to get out more, but I've never heard of it and I damn sure wouldn't accept it.

·
Registered
38,770 Posts
Then you would also consider Grey Market watches "used" as well. A new car can sit on a lot for 10 years and it's still
new if not sold and registered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts