WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a few questions about JDM radio controlled watches that only sync to the towers in Japan.

I live in Toronto Canada

Will a JDM citizen sync in Toronto?

I was reading that they do sync with a simple turn of the crown and it's a quick set.

The watch try to sync to the tower in the middle of the night. So if I were to set it to Toronto time will it sync back Japan time every night?

Thank you!

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
All new Citizen (and Casio) atomic receive the same frequencies worldwide. Canada does not have a time transmitter, you get the Colorado, USA radio transmitter. JDM watches will sync to Colorado.

Japan transmitter is out of range in Canada, though maybe receivable in western Alaska.

"This watch is a radio controlled watch, which receives the standard time radio waves that arebroadcast from radio wave transmitters in three regions, Japan, the USA and Europe(Germany), and uses these waves to automatically correct the time and date."

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=JY0000-53E

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/eco-drive-technologies/atomic-timekeeping/

http://c02.coacdn.com/calibersWPC/U600_ebook.pdf

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Not all Citizen JDM watches can receive the time signal for countries other than Japan. A friend of mine recently owned a new Attesa model that would only receive the Japan time station JJY. I had a Citizen Promaster Sky BY0080-57E JDM model that would receive time signals in Japan, China, the U.S. and Europe. It varies by model.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
Just had a look and it doesn't look as if the signal from Japan can be picked up in North America. Look for a JDM watch that is advertised as 6 band (Citizen) as it will talk to Fort Collins and not just JJY.

If you are forced down the route of a JJY atomic watch I do believe that you can get emulators that your watch will sync with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone else posted a link to the manual for this watch: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/english-manual-pmd56-2952-a-659224.html

That watch uses the H100 caliber, which only has the Japanese radio sync (note that there's no indication on the face of a way to switch the radio; it just has the "NO, RX, H-M-L" radio reception indicators).

Compare with the H610 (the movement for the Promaster Sky BY0080-57E), which has a "USA, EUR, CHN, JPN" indicator shared with the seconds subdial, as well as the U680 (the movement for the current Skyhawk / Navihawk), which has a "USA, EUR, CHN, JPN" indicator shared with the power reserve subdial. Those two movements are far more complicated; they're solar, and also have world time switching (which is pretty awesome to see the hour hand adjust itself to the correct time zone, but it means that the hour hand, and its linked 24-hour subdial, move independently of the second hand and minute hand (on my Navihawk A-T, with normal time progression, the hour hand advances a little bit every 2 minutes).

The radio signal for the US is WWVB, in Fort Collins, Colorado, at 60 kHz. Since it's a low frequency band, it's subject to interference from various things like the sun (yes, the sun bombards the earth with electromagnetic interference at certain frequency bands), electric appliances, computers, cell phones, building frames, cars, etc. On my Navihawk A-T, The process of syncing involves holding down the button to trigger sync, leaving the watch in a stationary position, and hoping that it gets a signal. In about 3 weeks of owning the watch, and about 5 attempts, I've only been able to sync once (I'm in the Boston area, and there's not a clear line of sight to the west from my bedroom, so it's probably trial-and-error for me).

But it is easy enough to tune my shortwave radio to CHU in Canada (3330 kHz), listen for the time chime, and true up the seconds counter, so in a way, the radio time reception is a perk. I haven't tried enabling the automatic time sync (it staged 3 sync attempts each night, from 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM on the hour, until it successfully syncs; after that, it waits a few days or so).

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Someone else posted a link to the manual for this watch: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/english-manual-pmd56-2952-a-659224.html

That watch uses the H100 caliber, which only has the Japanese radio sync (note that there's no indication on the face of a way to switch the radio; it just has the "NO, RX, H-M-L" radio reception indicators).

Compare with the H610 (the movement for the Promaster Sky BY0080-57E), which has a "USA, EUR, CHN, JPN" indicator shared with the seconds subdial, as well as the U680 (the movement for the current Skyhawk / Navihawk), which has a "USA, EUR, CHN, JPN" indicator shared with the power reserve subdial. Those two movements are far more complicated; they're solar, and also have world time switching (which is pretty awesome to see the hour hand adjust itself to the correct time zone, but it means that the hour hand, and its linked 24-hour subdial, move independently of the second hand and minute hand (on my Navihawk A-T, with normal time progression, the hour hand advances a little bit every 2 minutes).

The radio signal for the US is WWVB, in Fort Collins, Colorado, at 60 kHz. Since it's a low frequency band, it's subject to interference from various things like the sun (yes, the sun bombards the earth with electromagnetic interference at certain frequency bands), electric appliances, computers, cell phones, building frames, cars, etc. On my Navihawk A-T, The process of syncing involves holding down the button to trigger sync, leaving the watch in a stationary position, and hoping that it gets a signal. In about 3 weeks of owning the watch, and about 5 attempts, I've only been able to sync once (I'm in the Boston area, and there's not a clear line of sight to the west from my bedroom, so it's probably trial-and-error for me).

But it is easy enough to tune my shortwave radio to CHU in Canada (3330 kHz), listen for the time chime, and true up the seconds counter, so in a way, the radio time reception is a perk. I haven't tried enabling the automatic time sync (it staged 3 sync attempts each night, from 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM on the hour, until it successfully syncs; after that, it waits a few days or so).
From just northwest of Los Angeles, my Blue Angels AT8020-03L automatically syncs about two out of every three nights. I have it in a room with a window providing line of site to Colorado (east-northeast), but the 9 o'clock portion of the dial, where the antenna is, faces southeast (not optimal).

But, as you noted, local interference can make reception difficult.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Citizen does not manufacture 6-band radio signal reception radio-control watches. The maximum number of time signal reception signals a Citizen radio-control watch can receive is 5 -- usually the USA ( Ft. Collins, Colorado), European (Mainflingen, Germany),Japan (2-- Kyushu and Fukushima) and China ( Shanghui) time signals. Citizen probably has either an informal or formal agreement with Casio to only produce watches that have a maximum capability of receiving 5 time signals but not 6 time signals since Casio makes Multiband6 radio-control watches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts