WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the strengths/weaknesses of the 3 brands in the category of diver models? I am looking for a diver with a "pepsi" bezel, and rubber instead of a metal bracelet. I am probably NEVER going to take it underwater unless you count giving my kid a bath, but I like the look/style of a diver. I would say I would like to spend ~$200.00. There seem to be a bunch of choices in that range with these 3 brands, but what do you guys think? Seiko over Citizen over Orient? Or can I get really nice features/quality on a Orient in that price range over what I can get with a Seiko for the same amount of money?

As an example, compare the Citizen Promaster Automatic 200m Dive Watch with the Seiko Automatic Diver SKX009.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Tim,

Given your criteria I think it really comes down to personal taste. All three brands make excellent watches. You really can't go wrong with any of them. My only complaint about Orient from what I have heard (never actually owned one) is the lume is not so great. The lume on Seiko and Citizen divers is legendary!!

You have a few models to choose from in either brand. Personally if I were you I would buy a Seiko SKX009J. This is Seiko's pepsi diver with a rubber strap and the J signifies it is made in Japan. I think you will find them in the price range you are looking for. I would say it does not really matter where your Seiko is made as they are all quality pieces but from my personal experience I have found that the Japanese made Seiko's are better built. It is a very subtle difference and some would say not worth the price difference. The Citizen pepsi model is probably a little cheaper and also an excellent watch. Both have great Lume!!

Again it is your taste that will make the ultimate decision. All are fine watches that will last you a long time. Quality wise the Seiko's I have had are some of the best watches I have owned at a price that was a fraction of many much more expensive watches!!

Robzillla

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Both Seiko and Citizen are great watches. I can't speak for Orient because I don't own one. Plan on a Seiko Monster soon. But my Eco Drive 300M Diver is awsome and the lume is just great:-! .

·
Registered
3,757 Posts

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
IMHO, for the kind of use you plan on giving them they all produce great watches. All produce dive watches to ISO standards as well, so noproblems in terms of performance there. If we are talking about automatics, Citizens use miyota movements that are hand windable, whereas Seikos and Orients are not hand windable (just shake them to get them going). None of them (at least at the lower end of the price spectrum) are hackable (high end Seiko models do hack). Overall there is a wider variety of automatic models and parts available for Seiko's than the other two brands.

If you include quartz models, the both seiko ad citizen have a much larger variety of models to choose from. Don't quote me on it, but I don't think Orient markets any quartz models under their brand any more. As for quartz technology, you should be able to get equally good performance from both brands. when it comes to their rechargeable models (Kinetic for seiko and eco-drive for citizen), must people that post here seem to prefer the eco-drives to the kinetic, simply because it recharges by exposure to light, whereas the kinetic requires wearing it periodically to get the microgenerator working.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I just bought an Orient Quartz Diver for $80 shipped to my door. And I cannot be more pleased. Although I haven't noticed a pepsi bezel for an Orient, but the Orient I have feels better quality wise than my Seiko 5's. I would give Orient an honest look. They have Auto and Quartz models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts