WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

So I recently acquired my second Omega, a 3750.50 Speedy Pro. I have had an AT8500 since this time last year. Now that I have two watches to rotate, I'm wondering about keeping the AT wound without having to manual wind the 8500 frequently. First question...if I wear the AT for two days (wake up until bed time...usually 15+ hours) then not wear it for two days, will it ever stop? I know the reserve is 60 hours but will 50% wear maintain a reserve? Obviously since the Speedy is the "New Thing" to me, I may only wear the AT maybe 30% of the time at first.

So, next question...is it possible to fully wind both barrels on the 8500 manually? I did some research on this and I think only one barrel is wound by manual winding. In other words, simply wearing the watch can fully wind it (first barrel is non slipping automatic only and second barrel is a slipping clutch that winds with manual winding??) but manual will only wind the second barrel. Is this correct?

Thanks For the Answers,
Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, only more questions. I'm wondering if repeated manual winding will cause excessive wear. I know I screwed up the 7750 on my damasko that way. Any additional info on hand winding autos in general would be appreciated... But here's the simple solution: get a winder. Got mine 4-5 years ago from sharper image and its still the strong silent type. If you do, buy one with extra space.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, only more questions. I'm wondering if repeated manual winding will cause excessive wear. I know I screwed up the 7750 on my damasko that way. Any additional info on hand winding autos in general would be appreciated... But here's the simple solution: get a winder. Got mine 4-5 years ago from sharper image and its still the strong silent type. If you do, buy one with extra space.
My exact concern is causing damage to the winding bits due to the 8500 not being meant to be wound manually a lot.

I really don't want to buy a winder :)

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I know some companies tell you not to over do it on winding auto due to the delicate gears on the auto system.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When winding the 8x00 movement manually, both barrels are included simultaneously. Manual winding is completely fine for the movement, but I recommend doing it off the wrist so as to not put undo axial leveraging force on the crown's stem while turning. No need to be concerned with overwinding, either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the exact same set up (AT8500 and Speedy 3570.50). I usually alternate between them one day each.

On some occasions when I wear the 3570.50 for several consecutive days I do wear the AT for an hour or two at night when home from office so as to keep it going.

On rare occasions (such as when travelling with the 3570.50) I put the AT on a winder in the safe.

Works perfect! I never wind the AT manually, and it keeps time scaringly well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts