WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my gd100-sc7 today. my original plan was to remove the paint from the bezel and color it orange to match the lcd. seen here:

i have goof off, goo gone, and acetone all at my disposal to clean off the paint. however, since the bezel is glossy, how will the chemicals react to it?

My main fear is that i will remove the glossy coating and will be left with a matte white watch.

anyone have any experience removing paint from a glossy bezel?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I've only removed paint from the regular resin bezels without the glossy finish, so I'm no help to you hear. But I do know that goof off is some potent stuff. If you let your bexel sit in it too long, it will start to melt it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
User experiences her say that the glossy stuff will not come off easily. I´ve removed many letterings, but not on a glossy bezel. But the solvent needs not much time to remove the paint from the bezel, so i guess it should be safe to remove the lettering from the bezel. At first, i´d try to just paint orange over teh existing letters, this would be the easiest way.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
+1. I would try that, too. May take two coats to cover the blue, but should work fine.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, i'll give that a shot first, but the letters look a little shallow with the stock paint in there.
i might go completely in a different direction with the mod actually. i had not noticed that the buttons were also blue until i received the watch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you have the patience, you can try to remove the bezel paint using some goof off on the tip of a toothpick.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I was wondering what ur plans were for the buttons. I've painted over letters with factory paint in them with no problem. The paint will stick just fine.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i would say the buttons could be painted easily, except for the fact that they will be pressed repeatedly over time and may flake off? it's not like people rub their fingers on the lettering every day, so who knows how that affects the buttons. but who knows, im just speculating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts