WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All

Pictured below is my vintage Heuer Professional Diver 980.006 which I purchased new from a Heuer AD in Grand Cayman BWI in 1983. I wore the watch daily for the better part of 10 years and it shows. There are several scratches to the crystal and the bezel is pretty beat up as well. In addition the case and band have the usual scratches and swirls from daily wear. At some point the hands fell off and had to be reattached. Also, the watch stopped working and I had the movement replaced.

With my renewed interest is watches I'm wondering what to do with this one. I have several questions I was hoping that WUS members could answer.

Can the watch be restored?
Is it worth restoring?
How much does such a thing cost and who does it?

Thanks in advance. I really love the forum.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Restore it? You should wear that wabi with pride!!

I have a 1987 Tag in similar condition. The gold in the links are wearing away and the black coating is also worn away in parts. My bezel appears to be in better shape than yours.

Bob

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Vintage forum may be a little more appropriate/helpful for your questions. I think a lot of people here will agree with rmahoney, that you should wear the watch as is! It's a beautiful watch!

Yes, it can be restored, but there is a huge range of how much or how little you want done. Many just have their vintage watches cleaned and oiled. Perhaps a new crystal and polishing if you want to go a little further. This isn't too pricey.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
Greetings All

Pictured below is my vintage Heuer Professional Diver 980.006 which I purchased new from a Heuer AD in Grand Cayman BWI in 1983. I wore the watch daily for the better part of 10 years and it shows. There are several scratches to the crystal and the bezel is pretty beat up as well. In addition the case and band have the usual scratches and swirls from daily wear. At some point the hands fell off and had to be reattached. Also, the watch stopped working and I had the movement replaced.

With my renewed interest is watches I'm wondering what to do with this one. I have several questions I was hoping that WUS members could answer.

Can the watch be restored?
Is it worth restoring?
How much does such a thing cost and who does it?

Thanks in advance. I really love the forum.
Sure it can be restored. I think it would be worth restoring if the end result would bring you more enjoyment from a watch that you have clearly used and enjoyed already. If you choose to have it restored get it done the right way at the factory. It will cost more but the end result will look like a new watch. After market restorers can do it for a lot less but the dial will look repainted and the case will take on the rounded look that comes from buffing.

Yoiu may also want to consider maintaining your watch as is and putting the funds for a restoration toward a new watch. Welcome to WUS! Be sure to keep us updated!

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Heuer Professionals are relatively uncommon and are considered quite collectible. Since you already have it, restoration would be cheaper than buying one in NOS condition... and a lot cheaper than buying the TAGHeuer professional dive watches now being made. As to who to do this?, the search function will turn up a number of suggestions. I can't make any suggestions based on personal experience as I don't generally 'restore' vintage, I just service them.

The band looks to be original! That is hard to find.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Your picture is a bit small, but it doesn't look like it is in bad condition at all. The dial shouldn't need refinishing and the case could be l lightly polished, rather than anything which would change the shape or appearance. If you really want to bring it back to near new in appearance, replace the crystal and the bezel insert and have the case and bracelet cleaned and polished. None of those things are expensive.

This watch may be "collectible" to some, but the value isn't so high that it should be put away in original condition. And this one isn't in original condition any more anyway, so do what you want with it and enjoy wearing it.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
it really depends on your goal with the watch

I restored a vintage seiko just for the fun of it, refinish the dial, hands, serviced the movement and took out a few dings on the case.

you will probably not get much more money than what you spent, but if you get enjoyment working on it then I say go for it.

for some it's a completely waste of time and energy but I get an enjoyment tearing up a movement and bring back some bling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. My main goal is just to make the watch a little more presentable. The bezel is the worst part. It has quite a few scratches on it. I think if the bezel were replaced the case and band could easily be polished without damaging the profile and it would look pretty good overall. The dial moves back and forth when the watch is being set, which concerns me somewhat. I'd like to have a qualified watchmaker take a look to make sure everything is okay. The watch still runs fine, although it needs to be pressure tested. The watch is all original with the exception of the movement which was replaced with a Tag Heuer movement when the original failed. I have all the original paperwork and extra links for the band. As I recall, I paid $125 for it.

Any recommendations for someone to service and pressure test the watch. I know that Tag has their factory service center. Would that be the best option?

ETA: After reading several other posts from various sources, it seems as though the factory service center will no longer work on watches this old. I'm now looking for an independent source to refurbish the watch.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Best bet is to find your local watchsmith.

most of the time the dial has soldered feets to keep it from rotating(2 tiny metal sticks protrude into the movement), they can be broken when they installed the new movement.

nothing much there's so work on for the bezel, replacement is the easy route there.

polishing the case is breeze, given there's no ding and dent.

good luck and remember to post picture~

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one that I wore for 20 years that my wife bought for me in 1985 when our son was born. After 15 years it seized from water intrusion. (I didn't know anything about watch maintainence then.) Spent almost as much as the watch cost to have the movement replaced and new hands and crystal. It was special to me. I was warned, though, that the crown tube was corroded and would eventually break and parts did not exist even then. Five years later it happened and nobody would touch it. The factory said no way. I have moved on. If it were an automatic I would maybe have pursued it but there was no value in the watch. I loved it as it was the two tone stainless and gold, but the gold was worn on the inside of the bracelet links. I had seen them selling in working order for $35 on Ebay and decided it's time to let go.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This model is more desirable than the more common smaller size 1000 series. Your 980.006 is considered the "jumbo" size vs. the more common 980.013 "mid size". The bezel inserts are harder to find for this model. Heck, it if runs, I would just wear it with pride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts