WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the significance of the star on the dial of my 1947 Omega? The inside of the caseback is both Omega signed and hallmarked for 18K/.750. I was asked this question and was stumped. :-s Thanks.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yes. The star mark was used by Omega

on some models to denote watches that housed movements from the cal 26X family. The 30mm/cal 26X movements had been submitted to tests at the Kew- Teddington observatory and had won the highest marks for precision. So the star (which was either painted in Red or applied, as in your case) was a mark of high precision, etc....

For what ever reason, many of these we see now days originate from the South American market

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Yes. The star mark was used by Omega

on some models to denote watches that housed movements from the cal 26X family. The 30mm/cal 26X movements had been submitted to tests at the Kew- Teddington observatory and had won the highest marks for precision. So the star (which was either painted in Red or applied, as in your case) was a mark of high precision, etc....

For what ever reason, many of these we see now days originate from the South American market
Thanks, Joe. BTW, here are pics of the movement and inside caseback. I should have included them above.

·
Registered
479 Posts

You can find the star later in the Constellation models, so Joe's explanation seems very credible.........anyway, very nice watch, reminds me of the modern IWC Portugieser.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

You can find the star later in the Constellation models, so Joe's explanation seems very credible.........anyway, very nice watch, reminds me of the modern IWC Portugieser.
My thoughts exactly, the style is just like a Portugieser = superb and beautifull.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the compliments, guys. Maybe I didn't overspend after all! :-d

:thanks

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
A quick look at the Omega vintage website shows that some watches with Case Ref. 2271 did have the red star on the dial to denote the Kew Teddington competition, as Joe K. pointed out.

The fact that the star is not red gives me some cause for concern that it was added later. I wouldn't worry too much, as the presentation looks great and the movement and case are in excellent shape.

I think that there is a decent chance that your watch was originally a "red star" and that the redialler tried to duplicate it the best way possible. Might be worth it to pony up the SFr. 50 for a certificate from Omega. They can tell you if the watch was delivered to Brazil, which is where I believe all the red star models were originally delivered.

I used to have a small Brazilian Portugese advertisement for these watches, but I neglected to save it, so it's gone now.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts