WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have seen from a number of threads that it is possible to stop the second hand on a non hacking seiko by applying a little bit of back pressure to the crown. I would like to know whether this really is that risky or damaging to the movement? i.e. would i be okay just doing it once having just bought the watch from new?

Thanks in advance,

hazchrono

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Hi all,

I have seen from a number of threads that it is possible to stop the second hand on a non hacking seiko by applying a little bit of back pressure to the crown. I would like to know whether this really is that risky or damaging to the movement? i.e. would i be okay just doing it once having just bought the watch from new?

Thanks in advance,

hazchrono
No, it's not risky or damaging at all. Otherwise you wouldn't see so many posts from people who do it. ;-)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
And there would also be a ton of posts about "How I screwed up my watch".

Go right ahead Haz, back-hack away!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've done it, then felt bad I did it so I avoid it. I am super careful with my things, though. I don't even get my watches wet anymore, other than cleaning. Mostly I use my eyeglasses cleaning solution and cloth.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've done it, then felt bad I did it so I avoid it. I am super careful with my things, though. I don't even get my watches wet anymore, other than cleaning. Mostly I use my eyeglasses cleaning solution and cloth.
Gotta live a little!!

Now I'm gonna have to take back that 200k for the Credor. I'm not gonna have it sitting in your "Man Box" collecting cleaning solution fumes from it's neighbors.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I admit I have gotten a little nuts with the eyeglass cleaning solution. You can clean a lot of stuff with it. The other day I sprayed my laptop screen for cleaning, which was fine. I had some sliced cucumbers right next to my laptop that I didn't think twice about till I started eating them again. They tasted slightly off. I ate them anyway. Seconds later I went to cut up a few more with my case pocketknife, slipped and the blade went right through the cucumber and into my thumb. I haven't sharpened that knife in years and it is razorblade sharp. I screamed and flung my hand, blood spattered everywhere, including on my just cleaned laptop screen and cucumbers. I ate them anyway. Nothin stops me from eatin my cucumbers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I admit I have gotten a little nuts with the eyeglass cleaning solution. You can clean a lot of stuff with it. The other day I sprayed my laptop screen for cleaning, which was fine. I had some sliced cucumbers right next to my laptop that I didn't think twice about till I started eating them again. They tasted slightly off. I ate them anyway. Seconds later I went to cut up a few more with my case pocketknife, slipped and the blade went right through the cucumber and into my thumb. I haven't sharpened that knife in years and it is razorblade sharp. I screamed and flung my hand, blood spattered everywhere, including on my just cleaned laptop screen and cucumbers. I ate them anyway. Nothin stops me from eatin my cucumbers.
please don't take this the wrong way....

but you sir, are an odd duck! :-d

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
interesting to see a thread turning from back-hacking to bloody cucumbers...:-d

regards, holger

·
Registered
105 Posts
Aaaaaaaaanyway, getting back to the original topic, I've (hesitantly) tried this back pressure thing on my Atlas, and it seems not to work. Is there some more trick to it than simply pulling back on an unscrewed crown?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Aaaaaaaaanyway, getting back to the original topic, I've (hesitantly) tried this back pressure thing on my Atlas, and it seems not to work. Is there some more trick to it than simply pulling back on an unscrewed crown?
Make sure it has run down on the power reserve, and also make sure the crown has been pulled out two clicks. (where you set the time, not the date)

Apply GENTLE back pressure (like your turning the minute hand counterclockwise) and your second hand should stop moving, and may even go backwards.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I didn't think power reserve mattered..I don't think this actually stops it, it almost makes it run backward for a couple seconds.
Is this just me but what bugs me the most without hacking is it I have to have the minute hand dead on with the mark on the chapter ring. Its hard to set it right on without the hacking feature.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would like to know whether this really is that risky or damaging to the movement? i.e. would i be okay just doing it once having just bought the watch from new?
No, it's not risky and I haven't heard of a movement ever being damaged by back-hacking. It's okay to back-hack a non-hacking Seiko movment. Personally, I don't do it anymore because I know that it's going to be out of sync by the next day since most of my Seikos are about 4 to 15+ SPD (seconds per day). With that said, back-hacking is a good idea to test the accuracy just to know how fast/slow your watch really is.

Cheers! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts