WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just came back from my Omega AD after looking at their 8500 cal SMPOs (this is a bad sign - now I'm sure this isn't a passing fancy). I commented to the sales rep about how much heavier Seamasters have gotten since the days of my 2250 and the store manager then produced one of the new PO Liquidmetals they kept in the back for repeat customers.

I was instantly taken by the watch since I really like the blue on blue bezel/dial, but I was shocked over the price premium. They're asking close to $2000 over a normal cal 8500 PO. So I'm hoping members with more knowledge in metallurgy or Omega's build process can shed some light on this... Is there a fundamental reason for Omega charging that much more for the use of titanium? Or is it really just marketing saying "Hey I bet we can milk an extra $2k from people who think titanium is rarer than gold." Normally I'd just peg it on marketing since Momentum, Seiko and a whole bunch of others offer Ti cases for less than $300. But the Liquidmetal Ti looks different and more steel-like than other Ti watches I've seen so I'm wondering if Omega actually uses a more expensive alloy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you watched the video from Omega about how it is made? OMEGA Watches: Liquidmetal

Right now it seems the process is difficult to do in mass production. I imagine it is marked up enough to ensure they are still making a decent profit on the process but that may actually go down in time. It is a considerable price increase but you are getting something a little more exclusive. If I could afford it, I would have ordered that one.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
I'm not sure the alloy is more expensive but it is a different blend to the usual alloy used and looks more steel like. As Vertec pointed out, the process of making the liquidmetal bezel isn't yet perfected and from what I hear has quite a high failure rate. I own a PO LM LE and to me its worth every bit of the premium over a normal PO. Thats a personal thing obviously so its down to whether you can justify it.

Here is mine.

IMG_7572.jpg

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions. I completely misunderstood the liquidmetal concept thinking it had something do to with the titanium alloy used. To be fair, the fact that Omega's website only lists the two titanium SMPOs - one on bracelet, the other on strap - as their Liquidmetal offerings contributed to that mistake. It never occurred to me that they were referring to the bezel...and now that I think about it, probably contributed to why I liked the blue bezel so much more than the grey one.

Now I just have to sit down and think about whether or not I want to pay the premium for the blue Ti model. Objectively I now see why it's worth the difference. Psychologically it's tough because the Ti model runs straight into the pricerange of my 2 grails - the Zenith Stratos and GO Panomatic

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not sure the alloy is more expensive but it is a different blend to the usual alloy used and looks more steel like. As Vertec pointed out, the process of making the liquidmetal bezel isn't yet perfected and from what I hear has quite a high failure rate. I own a PO LM LE and to me its worth every bit of the premium over a normal PO. Thats a personal thing obviously so its down to whether you can justify it.

Here is mine.
Personally I don't believe the premium is worth it. Gloss Dial and slightly different ceramic bezel are about what it sums up to. The TiPO with LM would be worth the premium to me as the Titanium is an attractive option, the PO8500 XL (which I own) is a heavy watch, I would imagine the TiPO would be a much lighter watch to wear.

G

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Although I am a huge fan of titanium, $2000 extra for the titanium is a little too much imo. 316l steel sells for about $3 per pound and titanium goes for around $13 per pound so the difference in raw material cost is not that much since these watches weigh less than a pound..

According to Ariel from ablogtoread who visited the Omega factory, was told the cost to make one liquidmetal bezel is $50 since it cannot be mass produced at this point. Basically if you add $10 extra for the titanium, $50 for the liquidmetal bezel and maybe an extra $40 in manufacturing costs since titanium is harder to work with, my guess is that the titanium PO costs $100 more to make than the steel version. So yes a $2000 premium is crazy high but that's how expensive brands do it..

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Eloburg. You are selling your 8500 PO? I was shocked seeing your FS post.
Hey Dan, I was shocked too :). It was a reluctant and rash decision. I wanted to get a Speedmaster 9300 instead but knowing myself ill probably buy it back within the next few months anyways. Even though it's for sale I'm still fighting myself so if it bothers me enough I'll withdraw the sales post which is a high chance. I can't tell you how many times I came close to withdrawing the sales post. Even my wife told me not to sell it. It really is a beautiful watch :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts