WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm brand new to these forums and hope this is the correct thread to post to (if not please guide a newbie)...

I am looking for a manufacturer/vendor of watch crystals for LED watches (I'm looking to create a custom one). I'm trying to determine if it's possible to buy the dark red tinted watch crystals that were used heavily in models like Pulsar. These appear to be quite custom in that they use regular sapphire crystal but then line the bottom with a thin custom red acrylic/similar material.

Here's an example:

729008810_tp.jpg

Is there a company/manufacturer that specializes in this material? Back when LED watches were the rage I'm guessing there may have been but not anymore?

Any guidance/suggestions/referrals would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Jonathanzufi,

"These appear to be quite custom in that they use regular sapphire crystal but then line the bottom with a thin custom red acrylic/similar material."

Just a few random thoughts:

a) I am not sure that all manufacturers followed this practice, cheaper models perhaps, but I have an original NOS Citizen LED glass somewhere that isn't like this (from memory), I will have a search for it and get back to you.

b) Basically from memory sapphire is corundum which can also be found in red (ruby) so isn't it possible that better brands could use synthetic ruby and then just mill it to the correct shape?

c) Some natural sapphires of value (jewellery) are natural on top (blue) and then joined to a clear corundum and then facetted.

That is me being random, I will return when I find the LED glass.

·
Registered
225 Posts
b) Basically from memory sapphire is corundum which can also be found in red (ruby) so isn't it possible that better brands could use synthetic ruby and then just mill it to the correct shape?
Interesting idea. If you did this, the watch could be labelled "One (1) Jewel", despite being all-electronic.

- Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
"Interesting idea. If you did this, the watch could be labelled "One (1) Jewel", despite being all-electronic."

Now that is funny Dave, well thought out.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts