WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well recently, I bought a watch from a highly, highly reputable gray market dealer. I noticed that the shipping box it came in looked somewhat abused as if the carrier basically just tossed it around, ignoring the big "FRAGILE" marked all over the box. Well, appaprently, after 3-4 days of wearing the watch, it just stopped and upon further examination of the movement, i noticed the rotor was loose and when turned dial face up, the rotor was resting on the sapphire caseback. I know you're thinking, "well thats what you get for not buying from an AD". Although I did buy the watch grey market, since they are highly reputable, this watch was actually bought out from an AD who is dropping this particular brand. Everything was filled out(warranty cards and such) and came with all the boxes/accessories. So i decided to send the watch back for either an exchange or repair. But because they were dropping this brand, the watch i bought was literally the last one for that model. so i sent the watch back to them(the AD, not the grey market dealer) for repairs. so now either they have Swatch repair group in Secaucus, NJ handle it or send it off to Germany.

WHEW!!!

So now my question is should i keep on top of things and every 3-4 days ask them about the watch or just leave it alone and when its done, its done? i really do not want to be one of those stories where it takes a couple of months just to tighten a rotor and wanted to know if by me constantly "nagging" the outcome would be quicker?.....thanks

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Oddly, watch repair is one of the least timely activities I've ever read about. The general timeline I've seen is anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. I've been lucky with some smaller companies and gotten repairs done in a couple weeks. The big companies seem to hold onto pieces longer.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,223 Posts
So now my question is should i keep on top of things and every 3-4 days ask them about the watch or just leave it alone and when its done, its done?
There is a middle ground between your two given alternatives.

Mail back and forth between anywhere and New Jersey (or Germany) usually takes a few days both ways--and then there's repair time once your watch gets in the queue at the eventually-decided repair facilities. I'd wait a couple of weeks before my first polite inquiry as to how things are proceeding.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Years ago (before I was 'afflicted') I sent a cheap quartz watch back to Kenneth Cole in New Jersey for a repair. It had stopped running and I took advantage of their lifetime warranty. As I recall, the entire process took approximately 4 weeks or so.

As state by AlbertaTime, I'd wait a while rather than 'nag' them.

If your situation happened to me today, I would probably look into getting it fixed locally. It would be worth spending a few bucks on the repair (for me) just to have the watch back on my wrist sooner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts