WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my friend's uncle has a submariner from the 80's that i'm interested in buying fromhim. He said he last serviced that watch in 2000. there's are some minor scratches on it, and the black bazel seems to be faded a little bit.

My question is once i buy it, should i get it serviced right away? Also what does servicing do to your watch? Will it come back to me looking brand new?

Also, is this worth 3000 dollars w/o box and papers?

Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chaos06

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi there,

If your Uncle bought the watch from the 80s, and he's willing to sell to you, you should both agree on a fair price, he's guaranteed to make money on the watch. If you sent the watch to Rolex, they would most likely replace the bezel insert, maybe replace the hands, strip and lube the movement, refinish the case and bracelet. Rolex services aren't Cheap, in the UK about £130 so around $300-400 I would think, wear the watch for a week and see how the time keeping is, and then decide.

Goodluck

Bry @ SatinTime

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for replying and placing ur opinion
Even if it is family the Rolex without papers is like a car without papers...

It has an influence on the price for sure! If I were you (which I am not), I would take it under the condition that your uncle tries to get you the papers and gets a service done from an official Rolex service after that you could agree to buy it for the mentioned amount!

Best of luck! Mathis

·
Registered
62 Posts
if he doesn't have papers how would he go about attaining one?
Just like car papers it should be possible to get new ones.

Does he still have a receipt for buying the watch? Even if not there might be a chance if the Jeweler where he bought it still exists and has good records, plus it might even be that Rolex has a record of selling the watch with that serial number to him.

You can buy it even without that, but I think at least your uncle should
get it serviced at an official Rolex authorized & trained Jeweler. Best is if you come along when he picks it up and ask any questions you might have.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I bought a GMT II from the 1990's and paid a fair price. I wore the watch for a while and sent it to Rolex in Dallas for service. With a full service and a new face and hands it was almost $1,000.00. The face and hands replacement were optional but the luminosity was poor. My watch looks brand new but keep the price of service in mind.

Rolex will service your watch without papers. My only other word or warning is that some watches sold have fake Rolex bands. I sent a no date sub in for service and had them confiscate the band which put me behind $500.00 for a new oyster band. If he bought the watch from a legitimate American retailer, this should not be a problem.

Both watches look as good as new and despite the service costs are still good buys. There are a lot of people that service Rolex but I am a big fan of the service center in Dallas. There work has always been flawless. Good luck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When you send the watch in for service, must you send the bracelet in with the watch as well? What if you only want the watch itself serviced and nothing done at all to the bracelet? What if you buy a TT and keep the watch, but sell the bracelet?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I do not think that the bracelet is an issue as long as it is not a bogus Rolex bracelet as mine turned out to be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did some searching on the internet, and the price of $3,000 seems very high, considering the fact that watch will need at LEAST a service of $500. I'm confident that you can find a watch with papers in better condition, and newer for $3500.

There is a seller of Rolex watches that appears all the time on Time Zone's sales corner, WatchNet, and many other reputable sites. He goes under the name Jared Miller, PonyCar350 and Jared Adelson. They are all the same person. I know people that have purchased from him and he coincidentally lives in my hometown (Cherry Hill, NJ). I do not know him and have NO relationship with him. However, if you do an internet search on him you will see that his name ALWAYS appears on the "good guys" sites and people are always happy with their transactions with him. I know he only sells Rolex and always has submariners. Sometimes with papers and sometimes without. But I'd do some research on him on the internet and look on TimeZones sale corner or Watch Net or even on the sales section on this site. He's been around a long time and is not one of the rip off artists.

I'm sure someone else on this site can also recommend a well known seller. Another name that comes to mind is "watchfan". Watchfan and PonyCar350/Jared Miller are guys you should research for prices.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did a quick bit of homework for you, and went on TimeZone's SalesCorner. PonyCar350 is selling an "F" series Rolex SeaDweller. If you aren't aware, the SeaDweller sells for slightly more than a subdate, and has a higher depth rating, helium escape valve, etc. My sub date is an "F" series and was purchased brand new in box from an authorized dealer in February of 2005. The "F" series watches I believe are from very late 2003 to early 2005.

He is selling this watch WITH papers and box for $3550. And you are looking at buying a watch from the 80's, for $3000 PLUS a service of at least $500 without any papers. To me, it's a no brainer and your friend's uncle is charging way too much. Just for your review, here's a link to the site:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2400695&rid=0

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow doc, thanks for the info and input. shortly reading this i declined my friend's uncle's watch. I'm going to take my time in search of the watch. thank you i'm looking into all of those sources that you recomended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts