WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just a quick question....

On an automatic Seamaster (1120 movement) is it normal for the crown to continue to make the faint clicking sound of winding the spring when you're screwing in the crown? Or is it only supposed to wind the watch when in position 1?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hello, just a quick question....

On an automatic Seamaster (1120 movement) is it normal for the crown to continue to make the faint clicking sound of winding the spring when you're screwing in the crown? Or is it only supposed to wind the watch when in position 1?

Thanks in advance!
The clicking sound is just there to let you know that the mechanism is fully wound...its happening when you screw it in because its fully wound. This also occurs normally when you might give the crown a few turns in the morning (or whenever) to fully wind your watch. This is totally normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply mthwatch. So if the watch is not fully wound, and there's a very slight clicking noise (I mean really quiet, but it's there) is that still ok?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
It only makes a clicking noise when fully wound. I don't know what else to say, except you might be mistaken when you say that the watch is not fully wound. or do you hear a different clicking noise when it is finally fully wound? If so, I would not worry about it, until something stops working, as there is little that can be done at no cost to you, to see if there is a problem.

Yes it will click as you screw the crown back into the case if the watch is fully wound.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
On my PO, once it's fully wound and the clicking starts, I'll get two further clicks once I've started screwing down the crown. The sound is slightly similar to the noise the calender makes when it turns over.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It should click every exact half turn of the crown when fully wound, whether winding in pos.1 or screwing down the crown for water proofing. This is true of the 1164(7750) & 1120 I believe.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In other words, the manual winding mechanism doesn't dis-engage whilst screwing in the crown... :-!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect, thanks guys! Since my last post, I also checked another watch identical to mine, and it does the same thing. So with that and your responses, I'm re-assured there's nothing wrong. :-!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Witch way shall the crown be turned?
If i turn it down i hear clicking sound. If i turn it up i hear a very small winding noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks alot. Another question, for the speedmaster automatic is there any indicator for when its fully winded.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, you will hear a faint intermittent clicking sound when it's fully wound using the crown. It's the over-wind protection mechanism in operation...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is the "full" clicking sound as loud as the clicking sound you can hear if you turn the crown counterclockwise? I ask because i have turned it clockwise more than 40 times and its still the same faint "winding up sound"
Its also kinds hard to wind it, have to press my fingers pretty hard together for getting a good enough grip to turn it around.
Does this sound strange?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you hold the watch close to your ear whilst winding, eventually you will the faint clicking...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts