WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at purchasing a titanium Seiko watch and wonder if any TI owners could tell me if they are tougher and less prone to scratches than stainless steel? Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dave315 said:
Im looking at purchasing a titanium Seiko watch and wonder if any TI owners could tell me if they are tougher and less prone to scratches than stainless steel? Any information would be appreciated.
I've had a Ti Alpinist for a couple of months. The clasp on the Ti band where it slides around on my desk does have visible scratching and wear and there's some barely visible marks on another link, so I suspect it does scratch more easily or at least the scratches show up more. Then again I haven't inspected my SS Seikos lately because I like wearing this one!

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Hi Dave,

Read numerous posts about titanium getting scratched up more easily than ss. It is a lighter metal than ss which is nice, but the downside would be getting scratched up more. I have a titanium Citizen but I mainly wear it for dress so I'm not sure about how much it gets marked up.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,337 Posts
Ti is a "softer" metal than SS, so its more prone to scratches, etc.

but the up side is the lighter weight, and "less cold" than SS (you know that "cold feel" when you put on SS on a cold winter morning :-D ), anti-allergic, and the cool tone of Ti color.

if you want tough (scratch resistant) Ti, try Citizen Durtact Ti. that's one tough finish.

·
Registered
290 Posts
stockae92 said:

but the up side is the lighter weight, and "less cold" than SS (you know that "cold feel" when you put on SS on a cold winter morning :-D ), anti-allergic, and the cool tone of Ti color.

if you want tough (scratch resistant) Ti, try Citizen Durtact Ti. that's one tough finish.

EXACTAMONDO - Duratec ................tough as heck |>

·
Registered
351 Posts
Titanium has many advantages over SS in terms of tensile strength, flex, and weight, and its hypo-allergenic properties. The latter two of these properties are what makes it so appealing to jewellry and watch manufacture. A chunky dive watch certainly has the weight advantage over its SS counterpart, especially when you consider it will be 40% lighter.

However, one point to note is that Ti is harder to process and the higher grade forms processing costs rise exponentially. ie grade 9 Ti is unlikely to scratch at all with many years of use. Watches tend to use grades 1 to 5 for the casings, which can be scratched more easily.

Most watchmakers don't provide any details of the Ti grading in their specs, hence why some Ti watches hold out better than others.

My personal preference is SS. If I'm wearing a big ass watch on my wrist I want to be constantly reminded it's there.:)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Even though Ti scratches easier it is more durable than SS. A few strokes of a simple ink eraser will remove almost all scratches on a Ti watch. Very simple to do and the results are outstanding. A ss watch needs serious buffing to remove scratches. But hey if you are looking for serious heft...SS is the material for you:)

·
G-Shock Mod
14,337 Posts
G-Shock said:
Even though Ti scratches easier it is more durable than SS. A few strokes of a simple ink eraser will remove almost all scratches on a Ti watch. Very simple to do and the results are outstanding. A ss watch needs serious buffing to remove scratches. But hey if you are looking for serious heft...SS is the material for you:)
any particular brand of ink eraser? that will come into handy some time

for refinishing SS, one can try with "scotch bright" (sp? the green pad that you use to clean pots), brush it in a uniform and unidirectional manner.

i've tried it before and it works well on light surface scratches

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The standard grade of Titanium used in jewellery and watches, is generally Ti commercially pure 1 or 2 which is around 99% pure Titanium, this is why it is easy to scratch, it is the easiest grade to work with.

Regs

Bry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any Photos of Citizen Durtact Ti?

How about posting some photos of your Citizen Durtact Ti?

stockae92 said:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dave315 said:
I have a titanium SEIKO diver watch (not a cheapo one, either) and it does scratch easily. Very pretty looking watch. But not suitable for wearing at the gym or while doing yard work.

I need to try me that 'ink eraser' trick. What's an INK eraser any way? I've only ever used PENCIL erasers ;-)

Michael

·
G-Shock Mod
14,337 Posts
Re: Any Photos of Citizen Durtact Ti?

unfortuniately i don't own any citizen duratect anymore

in the past, i have owned a couple of Citizen with duratect ti and i can say there are great by experience :)

- PMK65-2211 (http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/citizen/PMK65-2211.html)

- PMX56-2601 (http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/citizen/PMX56-2601.html)

- PMT56-2731
(http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/citizen/PMT56-2731.html)

i wished more manufacturer has tough coating like that

one down side is that you can't refinish the coating again by your side (or even by the manufacturer unless you re-coat the whole thing, which i don't think they will do that for you)

remember, almost nothing is scratch proof, they are only scratch resistant ;-)

mtbrnr said:
How about posting some photos of your Citizen Durtact Ti?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Anyone know how scratch resistant is Casio's DLC (Diamond like carbon) coating on their titanium G-shocks? :thanks

·
Registered
643 Posts
G-Shock said:
No brand in particular. The ink eraser I use is made by Steadtler!
What color is the Staedtler eraser you use? I did some google searches and can't seem to find any 'ink' erasers made by Staedtler. I'm probably looking at the correct one and not even know it... Would you mind giving more info on the one you use or better yet - provide a link (perhaps to the product you use on one of the office supply stores' sites?)

Thanks a lot,
Michael

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi,

here are some pics of my Promaster 1000m which in fact is of titanium.
Its surface has been treated via Duratect method, which givee the watch
a strength up to 4 times over normal watch steel. ;-)

I´ve really hit doors and other obstacles with the watch because of its
height but nothing had happened! :-!

Please see also following information from Roger Ruegger (CH)

http://www.rruegger.ch/citizen_promaster_1000m.htm

·
Registered
519 Posts
Iam don't care for TT watches I would rather feel the weight on my wrist ! TT feels like plastic IMHO !! I know its as good or BETTER than SS but I prefer the weight of SS :-!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have owned many Titanium watches, but alas sold them all in my quest for the 4 German 1000M divers I have settled on, but in the past few years I can tell you a few things.
I owned the Titanium watches from 2 companys only - Citizen and Seiko.
First up was the Citizen Mission Antartica- with Duratect utterly amazing , you cannot destroy it. It never marked or anything I can highly recommend that Duratect!

Citizen Mission Antartica - limited Edition

Next up was the Seiko Sammurai, black face, and it to was amazing in crafmanship the case, the band, so light - now it was not a duratect which is a Citizen trademark I beleive, but it held up well it was a nice grey smoke finish.

Then the dream watch came along the Seiko 40th Anniversary Titanium 200M diver, it was so unreal to wear, the dial , the hands, bezel, everything. The Titanium was a darker grey, but alas this one was the softest of the 3. Now it happened that some swirlies came to be on the bracelet and clasp from desk diving, but a small micro abrasives product I found from watchandrenew fit the bill- this took care of it everytime and it looked brand new. I also was clued into Capecod cloths that worked wonders for cleaning Titanium and SS just wonders? It took off any pollution and the metal shone like new.
I have ordered a new Titanium watch and will by the end of 2007 have 2 back in my rotation, there is nothing like having Titanium on your wrist, light, dark grey, not cold, it adds a different flare.
Dont be afraid to try it, with the good brands we have out there it is satisfying .
Seiko 40th Anniversary Titanium Edition Japan made:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dave315 said:
Buy a Citizen! They use a ion glass coating to prevent scatches! They will still scatch but much less than Seiko and it is a better grade of titanium. Good luck!

Brad

1 - 20 of 31 Posts