WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I changed the band for my Frogman today, and wondering about two screws on the top of rubber insulation. What the purpose of those screws? for decoration?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
One more reason to like the old ones......

It's disappointing to me to an extent when you see that form does not follow function on many G's. Unfortunately, lots of G's are designed not to be no nonsense tool watches, but tool watches with useless fashion cues added. You see this in the Master series quite a bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody think those two (2) screws are looked like the eyes of a frog? :roll:
I made people look at my wrist today because the weird look of frogman without insulation rubber skin. I like this band very comfortable. Thanks for all of wus member ideas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The fact that two useless screws are needed to give the Frogman amore trustworthy look, makes the watch actually less credible for me...

·
Registered
925 Posts
It's the same thing with brass rivets on denim jeans. It's there, serves no functional purpose yet it gives a complete picture of a good pair of tough denim jeans :-D

While we're on the topic of form versus function, ever wondered what purpose does a neck tie serve? :think: Yet it does wonders in giving us an instant formal look ;-)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Greetings asouab,
I agree that the frogman does look like a frog from that angle!:-! Always a good thing to learn something new. Never noticed this before.

I myself thought about the function of these metal attachments. I wondered about the metal ends on this model too:

It's a dw-9052 btw.

I tend to think the 4 metal tips are usefull in the event you slide along the ground with the watch face down. The rubber besel is easily worn away (and replaceable) but the metal would take some effort. This way you can replace the bezel and (if necessary) the metal parts. Keeping the module safe. Just a theory for the form over function debate. I assume that the Frogman would also offer some sort of abrasion protection with the metal lugs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
wongster said:
It's the same thing with brass rivets on denim jeans. It's there, serves no functional purpose yet it gives a complete picture of a good pair of tough denim jeans :-D

While we're on the topic of form versus function, ever wondered what purpose does a neck tie serve? :think: Yet it does wonders in giving us an instant formal look ;-)
Yeah those screws are AWESOME when clothing is the standard by which we measure G's.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Question:
wongster said:
While we're on the topic of form versus function, ever wondered what purpose does a neck tie serve? :think:
Answer:
wongster said:
Yet it does wonders in giving us an instant formal look ;-)

That's it. That's all a neck tie is supposed to do, no other function. So form through function does not apply here. It was not made to do anything besides look good, so that is the entire purpose behind its design.

Form through function would mean a neck tie was desinged to look the way it does because it was desinged to serve some FUNCTION first, which its FORM followed. Like the deep bezels on a G are not made that way to look good, deep bezels protect the crystal, and look good in the process.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hanzemannetje said:
Mmm, that the Frogman looks like a frog... must be a frog after it is run over by a car , I do not see the simularity really...
Greetings Hanzemannetje,
It all very abstract,;-) :-D :-! . I think it's of a frog when it has that area under it's mouth inflated. You would be looking at it square on.

Square on like this

But with this much air.
using asuoab photo for caparison.

:-!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Resinbandit said:
Greetings Hanzemannetje,
It all very abstract,;-) :-D :-! . I think it's of a frog when it has that area under it's mouth inflated. You would be looking at it square on.

Square on like this

But with this much air.
using asuoab photo for caparison.

:-!
Thank you Resinbandit for the nice frog pictures. Your pictures is worther than thousand words to emphasize exactly what Casio Designer's want to impress.:thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts