WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a Fireman Enterprise in the near future and am torn on dial color. Most of my current collection are black dials, so I would love a white dial piece to add some variety. I am concerned, however, about legibility being an issue with the polished hands and tube indices on the white dial in sunny conditions.
I'd be fine with a black dial, if legibility is a concern, but was looking for feedback from those who have white-dialed versions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
No issues here...

Attachments

Reactions: wkw and occytron

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have a TM Power Reserve with blued hands on a white dial. Very legible. My issue has been with legibility of white gold or rhodium plated hands on a black dial. Under many light conditions the hands appear to "grey out" against the black dial and it's by the lume I'm able to pick them out. Examples include the TM WorldTime and Rolex Explorer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you found any real world photos of that specific watch?
Thanks everyone for the help. I have seen a few real-world photos but it was hard to tell. It looked like in some of them the reflections on the hands made it harder to quickly tell the time, but the more I look, the more I think it will be fine.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Hi occytron. Not much help here but for what it's worth, my wife is all about white dials and I had a look at her watches indoors and outdoors. I could read the time with my older eyes okay. I think your answer will come to you only if you see the specific watch that you are after in the flesh (or metal).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Geriatric and 'readers' user: I have an Ohio, white dial with silver hands.... You sometimes have to double or triple check the time. Black or dark outlined hands (like the trainmaster shown above) makes all the difference

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
I wore my Trainmaster white dial for two years in a row, I had no problem with the legibility.

Please note that my watch has a domed sapphire crystal thus I can't speak for watch models with the flat sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i just now went and looked up your specific watch model...youre going to have issues reading the time in light conditions. Even enlarged on a computer screen the hands are 'disappearing'

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
i just now went and looked up your specific watch model...youre going to have issues reading the time in light conditions. Even enlarged on a computer screen the hands are 'disappearing'
You mean like this? I don't think so. I have silver hands on a silver background on my Anonimo, and have old, weakening eyesight, and don't have any problems whatsoever with it--and the Enterprise is much more contrastive than my Nimo.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Should have included a pic in my last post.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a Fireman Glory

https://www.watchpatrol.net/listing/588818

Although the hands are silver colored they are angled along the long axis and appear almost as black . The hour indices tubes are rather long. Put it all together and it is very easy to read in bright sunlight.

It appears very much like the Enterprise picture posted by timefleas

·
Registered
449 Posts
Both your examples have black outlined hands which makes a big difference

I could see where you say that about the Ball, but not the Nimo which is obviously silver hands, no outline. Like I stated the hands on the Ball are angled along the long axis, much like a jewel is cut to reflect light. With mine if you look at it with the watch perpendicular to your face the hands appear almost black, turn it an an angle to your face and they appear bright silver. I have another Ball with some fire blued hands on a silvery white dial that really pop. I went back and looked at some others. There is Glycine Combat 6 moonphase, white dial and silver hands, no problem seeing . I am 73 and slowly developing cataracts if that helps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a Fireman Glory

https://www.watchpatrol.net/listing/588818

Although the hands are silver colored they are angled along the long axis and appear almost as black . The hour indices tubes are rather long. Put it all together and it is very easy to read in bright sunlight.

It appears very much like the Enterprise picture posted by timefleas
Love that watch, it looked hard to read until you see/realize it has the tubes. I agree as long as you have the tubes in the hands it should be easy to read. I have a GS that is impossible to read with a white face and silver hands. The older I get the more I appreciate the Ball watches. I really like the white face diver they make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Actually the tubes in the hands to do not make it easier to read in sunlight. We finally got bright sunlight today after almost a week of cloudy. Like I said the hands are angled. Turn the watch one way and one half of the hand appears black, turn the other way and the black shifts to the other side. What is happening is that the black side is reflecting light away from you and the other side is reflecting light too you, a rather interesting phenomena. The Glycine watches and a couple of Sieko with white dials and silver hand are readable in sunlight. Actually the less readable place to read is in shade immediately adjacent to bright sunlight.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I prefer hands to be a contrasting color with the dial. The TM PowerReserve has blued hands against a white dial. Perfect. My Ball Engineer II GMT and WorldTime have "silver" hands which contrast with the black dials only when light reflects off of them. Same with an Explorer. The polar Explorer II has black hands against white dial--very readable. The Ranger has silver hands but they are broad with lots of lume so they stand out against the black dial. I'm 72 and appreciate a watch which is immediately readable rather than having to twist my wrist to get the lighting right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts